C-RTC & Recruiting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
This kid was literally right down the road, is good friends with several on the team and came to campus a lot...yet this staff still doesn't get him. So frustrating. Boone is good and would have been a good get with HWT being a glaring hole after next year..

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Recruiting is really a disaster with this staff. I bet you're all glad I emerged from the lurker shadows to share this gem with you all ... since no one has mentioned it before.o_O

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Boone doesn’t have a redshirt. I don’t think he would beat Gremmel, and maybe he didn’t want to sit a year?

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
Clearly, he lacks in recruiting. Also, he is very young. Does not seem like a great fundraiser and good at strategy for a program. I think he’s a good on the mat coach, but is incredibly green from a coaching perspective. Like I said, by the time Dresser retires, maybe Metcalf will be that guy. But right now he is light years behind someone like Perry in experience and success.
Clearly, he lacks in recruiting. Also, he is very young. Does not seem like a great fundraiser and good at strategy for a program. I think he’s a good on the mat coach, but is incredibly green from a coaching perspective. Like I said, by the time Dresser retires, maybe Metcalf will be that guy. But right now he is light years behind someone like Perry in experience and success.

I get the being very young argument, but as a counter to that argument Jim Gibbons was 24 when he coached us to the title in 1987. Of course he had legendary assistants Les Anderson and Ed Banach to help him out. Point is age can’t be the driving factor in all decisions related to coaching wrestling.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
not sure. Was told there is good news coming this summer. No details given
Dresser mentioned recruiting in this quote about Terukina :
“We are excited to add Kysen to this class," head coach Kevin Dresser said. "He is a tremendous athlete and we look forward to watching him train and compete at Iowa State. We plan on adding more late talent to this class in the coming months. It will shape up to be a very important class moving forward."

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
I had read that too. The problem there is that there are literally 2-3 non committed wrestlers in the Flo Big Board. Pickings will be slim.

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
Speaking of Dresser’s Newsletter. He said his goal is to announce a very good 2021 recruiting class. Well 25 of the top 30 kids are already committed. The 5 that are left Van Ness, Valencia, Poulin, Kibe, & Schon have put out their top schools list and Iowa State is not on any of them. So hopefully they start landing some talent soon and not wait for too long.
On a more encouraging note they are on a couple very solid transfers and a few talented Juniors. But again you have to actually get them to campus and not just be a close runnerup. Here’s hoping for some good news in the next month or 2.