***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
He's a great fit for our system. A distributor who can score when needed. I don't want the ball in Bolton's hands all the time. He's better served as an off the ball scorer. With the right PG, Bolton is going to be a star. He was good this year, but with the experience he's gained, I think he's ready to take the next step.

I don't see how he is a great fit other than they need somebody.
I see no indication he can score based on what he did at Hawaii. He is a negative value player. He is moving up from a small conference and he wasn't efficient or notable there. I would be shocked if he had a PER above 10 at the major conference level. He isn't overly athletic and doesn't appear to be notable on the defensive end.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
He's the #24 (w/22 above him committed) GT available on Goodmans list for example, ahead of Kier.

https://watchstadium.com/top-20-college-basketball-transfers-who-can-play-in-2020-21-03-24-2020/

{Edit}
To be fair Buggs is lower on ESPN's list but second highest Guard available today. (Kier #17)
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...-basketball-transfer-rankings-2020-21-2021-22

36. Drew Buggs, 6-3, 195 pounds, PG, RS Jr., Hawaii
Buggs ticks a lot of boxes for a high-major player. He has good size for a point guard, and also averaged 9.4 points, 4.5 rebounds and 5.4 assists. Good playmaking ability.

I am not saying he's a program changer but Buggs has high major interest from Day 1 and after missing on Aiken/Turner/Gomez would be a solid get late in April.

I see what you saying. I mean they don't have many grad transfer options at PG so he is the best available GT PG. But I just don't think he makes them any better next year. I don't see the addition as adding wins in other words.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I don't see how he is a great fit other than they need somebody.
I see no indication he can score based on what he did at Hawaii. He is a negative value player. He is moving up from a small conference and he wasn't efficient or notable there. I would be shocked if he had a PER above 10 at the major conference level. He isn't overly athletic and doesn't appear to be notable on the defensive end.
I guess the positives are based on what he does to Bolton’s play.
-he’s a better pg than Bolton
-or at least Bolton is a better off guard than Bolton is a pg. I’m not sold the computer models do a great job at quantifying that dynamic.

That synergy is key to any improvement we make next year. Are Johnson/Dubar/Blackwell ready to be plus 4s or even just better than MJ? Maybe not, but I think our defense (and thus our offense) will improve because we aren’t playing two bigs.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
There is no question that he can distribute. His stats show that it's his strength.

I am trying to look on the bright side here.

You all are right the best argument for him is the "warm body" one.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I think today is Wednesday update:
PG Drew Buggs (GT): ISU, Mizzou, LMU
PG Tyler Harris (T-2):
PG Ray Salnave (GT):
CG AJ Walker (T-2):
SG Koreem Ozier (T-2): ISU, Butler, ECU, Sacred Heart, Cal St-Northride, New Mexico
SG Justin Kier (GT): AR, GA, Gtown, ISU, MI, MN, NC St
SG Chaundee Brown (T-1):
SG Courvoisier McCauley (T-2):
SG Michael Flowers (T-1): Cal, DePaul, ISU, Santa Clara
SG Jose Perez (T-2):

What Changed:
PG Drew Buggs (GT) named top 3 of ISU, Mizzou, LMU. SG Justin Kier (GT) top 7 AR, GA, Gtown, ISU, MI, MN, NC St. Added PG Ray Salnave (GT).

Reactions: Cyclone560

Cyclone560

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2017
Ya I think Buggs would be a really good addition just in the sense that we need a true PG.

Even if he's not a scorer he unlocks Bolton to play off ball where I think he's much better suited. Bolton is a great driver but appeared to be much more effective driving off the pass and attacking a moving defense than he was as a pure driver against a static defense if he was playing the point. (some of that may be due to less respect for the surrounding players and more focus on him...) but in generally he really started to play well as the 2 guard in big12 play and once Haliburton went down and he switched to point his scoring went down and he was forced into a role that we needed as a team but he was less suited for.

Buggs would basically be a good addition just in the sense that it lets Bolton be his best even if Buggs himself doesn't add much per say.

Ideally we get a true PG like Buggs and then an additional scorer to help out in that regard as well. Especially at this point I think its going to be hard to find a guy that fits both of those needs effectively.

Buggs + Kier/McCauley (or anyone else I'm forgetting off the top of my head or comes available that can score as a guard or wing) would be pretty good and put us in position to at least be competitive next year IMO, pending some real freshman contributions of course but also without asking a ton from them.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Buggs is the best option at PG right now. We still need someone to score as well.

People didn’t like Shayok or Kane based on their stats either.

Hell we would still have 3 more scholarships and could even recruit over him if the opportunity presented itself.

Hell when we got Kane, we didn’t even have a scholarship. We let a recent transfer commit go to add Kane.

Last edited:

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
Buggs would be a very good get. Not earth-shattering, but very good. Excellent distributor, reliable f.t. shooter.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Buggs is the best option at PG right now. We still need someone to score as well.

People didn’t like Shayok or Kane based on their stats either.

Hell when we got Kane, we didn’t even have a scholarship. We let a recent transfer commit go to add Kane.

I'm really tiring of this kane/shayok stats narrative. to refresh your memory on Kane, pre-ISU....the guy was in a completely different universe than all these table scrap transfers we're debating now!!

2012-13 (Marshall)
One of just two active players in D1 to average at least 15 points in each of his first three seasons (Antoine Mason, Niagara) ... saw action in 28 of 32 games, making 26 starts ... missed four games with a right hand injury ... earned All-Conference USA honors for the third time in his career, landing on the second team as a junior ... named C-USA Player of the Week after scoring a season-high 33 points to go along with a career-high 11 boards and 10 assists vs. Hofstra ... it was Marshall’s fourth-ever triple-double ... averaged 15.1 points, 4.4 rebounds and 7.0 assists, joining Chaz Williams of UMASS as the only D1 players to average 14 points, 4.0 rebounds and 7.0 assists ... was 11th nationally in assists per game ... played a C-USA best 37.1 minutes per game, including eight complete games ... had a pair of double-doubles in addition to triple-double ... dished out career-high-tying 13 assists vs. Nevada.

2011-12 (Marshall)
Earned All-Conference USA Second-Team honors after finishing third in C-USA averaging 16.5 points per game ... played in 34 of 35 games and made 33 starts ... was second on team with 5.4 rebounds and 3.5 assists ... scored 560 points, including a C-USA Tournament record and career-high 40 points in Marshall’s triple overtime quarterfinals win against Tulsa ... played 54 of 55 minutes and scored his 1,000th career point against the Golden Hurricane ... tallied double-digit scoring 30 times, including seven games with at least 20 points ... had a double-double against UAB, finishing with 21 points and 10 rebounds ... finished with 29 points against Belmont.

2010-11
Named Conference USA Freshman of the Year ... started all 34 games ... second on team in scoring with 15.1 points and 117 assists en route to earning All-Conference USA Third-Team honors ... led team in steals with 32 and was third leading rebounder with 5.6 boards per game ... just the second freshman in Marshall history to tally 500 or more points, finishing the season with 513 ... scored in double figures in 29 games, including nine games with 20 or more points ... scored a season-high 25 points in back-to-back games against Louisville and Florida International ... dished out 13 assists against VMI.

2009-10 (Marshall)
Sat out initial collegiate season.

High School
Prepped at The Patterson School in Lenoir, N.C. in 2008-09 where he averaged 15.6 points per game ... helped lead Patterson to a 34-2 record and No. 1 prep school national ranking ... prior to Patterson, attended Pittsburgh’s Schenley High School and led it to a state championships as a junior ... also helped Schenley to its third consecutive Pittsburgh City League Championship, scoring 35 points in the title game ... as a senior, Kane led all WPIAL and City League players in scoring during the regular season with 33.1 points per game while averaging 11 rebounds per game ... was a teammate of San Antonio Spurs forward DeJuan Blair.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I'm really tiring of this kane/shayok stats narrative. to refresh your memory on Kane, pre-ISU....the guy was in a completely different universe than all these table scrap transfers we're debating now!!

2012-13 (Marshall)
One of just two active players in D1 to average at least 15 points in each of his first three seasons (Antoine Mason, Niagara) ... saw action in 28 of 32 games, making 26 starts ... missed four games with a right hand injury ... earned All-Conference USA honors for the third time in his career, landing on the second team as a junior ... named C-USA Player of the Week after scoring a season-high 33 points to go along with a career-high 11 boards and 10 assists vs. Hofstra ... it was Marshall’s fourth-ever triple-double ... averaged 15.1 points, 4.4 rebounds and 7.0 assists, joining Chaz Williams of UMASS as the only D1 players to average 14 points, 4.0 rebounds and 7.0 assists ... was 11th nationally in assists per game ... played a C-USA best 37.1 minutes per game, including eight complete games ... had a pair of double-doubles in addition to triple-double ... dished out career-high-tying 13 assists vs. Nevada.

2011-12 (Marshall)
Earned All-Conference USA Second-Team honors after finishing third in C-USA averaging 16.5 points per game ... played in 34 of 35 games and made 33 starts ... was second on team with 5.4 rebounds and 3.5 assists ... scored 560 points, including a C-USA Tournament record and career-high 40 points in Marshall’s triple overtime quarterfinals win against Tulsa ... played 54 of 55 minutes and scored his 1,000th career point against the Golden Hurricane ... tallied double-digit scoring 30 times, including seven games with at least 20 points ... had a double-double against UAB, finishing with 21 points and 10 rebounds ... finished with 29 points against Belmont.

2010-11
Named Conference USA Freshman of the Year ... started all 34 games ... second on team in scoring with 15.1 points and 117 assists en route to earning All-Conference USA Third-Team honors ... led team in steals with 32 and was third leading rebounder with 5.6 boards per game ... just the second freshman in Marshall history to tally 500 or more points, finishing the season with 513 ... scored in double figures in 29 games, including nine games with 20 or more points ... scored a season-high 25 points in back-to-back games against Louisville and Florida International ... dished out 13 assists against VMI.

2009-10 (Marshall)

High School
Prepped at The Patterson School in Lenoir, N.C. in 2008-09 where he averaged 15.6 points per game ... helped lead Patterson to a 34-2 record and No. 1 prep school national ranking ... prior to Patterson, attended Pittsburgh’s Schenley High School and led it to a state championships as a junior ... also helped Schenley to its third consecutive Pittsburgh City League Championship, scoring 35 points in the title game ... as a senior, Kane led all WPIAL and City League players in scoring during the regular season with 33.1 points per game while averaging 11 rebounds per game ... was a teammate of San Antonio Spurs forward DeJuan Blair.
No one is comparing these kids to Kane. Kane might be one of the most beneficial grad transfers this decade.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Just go with Nate's list (regardless if they've shown interest in ISU). Just curious which four he thinks are better than Buggs.
You’ve got to include sitouts imo. Not only because they could end up eligible, but because two top GTs plus two top sitouts is better than adding forecasted negative impact guys (of which Buggs is one). For example, if you land Kier and Flowers, plus Perez and Walker. Or add the VCU kid, or the D2 kid, or Brown, or the ones that will undoubtedly become available.

I’m excited to get Buggs, but again, that’s largely rooted in the odds of getting the other guys. Nothing wrong in that, that’s recruiting. I’m excited for our freshmen class, but I don’t anticipate most top programs would be excited for unranked guys.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

2012-13 (Marshall)

2011-12 (Marshall)

2010-11

2009-10 (Marshall)

High School

thats nice and all, people still found a reason to complain. But who are all these great PG’s who have so much better stats than Buggs? And don’t say any of the guys who would play off the ball.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron