***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Yeah it's almost the worst possible scenario. Like Fran McCaffrey can miss on a couple recruits because none of his guys go pro. However, if you miss on two recruits and two go pro. It spells doom. I just want a couple good 4 year guys like Ejim. No threat to turn pro early but really good college players.
Yet, was anyone surprised to only get 3 years out of Wigginton and Horton-Tucker?

Haliburton was the only significant surprise imo. I guess Morris returning was a positive surprise according to some!

In modern CBB, Programs must be able to fill holes in the spring.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

maybe the top sit out guy. we weren’t in contention but i think memphis is in on some guys we’re after too so could help

That and there was some rumors the commitment lead to Penny needing a scholarship and pushing Tyler Harris out. Considering the timing it probably is true.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yet, was anyone surprised to only get 3 years out of Wigginton and Horton-Tucker?

Haliburton was the only significant surprise imo. I guess Morris returning was a positive surprise according to some!

In modern CBB, Programs must be able to fill holes in the spring.
This and also getting the bench guys to be able to progress enough to be starters some day and the possibility of one or more of them developing into all conference type players. I can think of two guys that fit into that category, Babb and Solomon. Babb only played here 3 years but certainly developed into a productive starter and although Solo has had injury issues, he's been solid overall.

After that, I honestly cannot think of anyone else that has produced in their time being here, let alone even stuck it out here. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Babb and Solomon are the only players that have played 3+ years including their final year under Prohm? Everyone else either only played for one or two seasons as a transfer, transferred elsewhere, or left to go pro.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
If you are batting 0.500 with high school players, you are probably ahead of the curve. Hoiberg was like 0.250 at best. Prohm's problem is he's also struck out with a high % of transfers, and the high school players he has hit on all leave early.

Or 5-11 unless you count Ejim, Thomas, Niang, Naz or Monte as a miss.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Hits:

Ejim, Niang, Morris, Thomas, Naz

Misses: Godfrey, Mcknight, Railey, Sledge, Gibson, Okoro, Dorsey-Walker, Custer

I'm getting 5/13. Not as bad as I first though. Less than 0.500, better than 0.250.

Looking back at our recruiting classes, Prohm has been worse than I thought too. Probably more like 0.250. I still maintain that if you hit on about 1/2 of your high schools recruits, you are doing ok.

CascadiaClone

FKA BoredInKildee
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Portland, Ore
Hits:

Ejim, Niang, Morris, Thomas, Naz

Misses: Godfrey, Mcknight, Railey, Sledge, Gibson, Okoro, Dorsey-Walker, Custer

I'm getting 5/13. Not as bad as I first though. Less than 0.500, better than 0.250.

Looking back at our recruiting classes, Prohm has been worse than I thought too. Probably more like 0.250. I still maintain that if you hit on about 1/2 of your high schools recruits, you are doing ok.
Is it fair to call Custer a miss? He did lead a team to the final four..

EDIT: Depends on your definition of miss. Don’t think he was a miss in terms of talent evaluation.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
If Prohms hits were 4 year guys we’d be sitting pretty. But his hits are too big of hits. Obviously we’d be fine if he didn’t have as many busts still though.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Every Hoiberg high school guy/true freshman --

Calvin Godrey
Jordan Railey
Melvin Ejim
Percy Gibson
Tavon Sledge
Georges Niang
Naz Mitrou-Long

Nkereuwem Okoro
Matt Thomas
Monté Morris

Sherron Dorsey-Walker
Clayton Custer
Georgios Tsalmpouris

I highlighted the ones that worked out.

5/13

The problem is three of those five should have their jerseys retired and the other two were incredible players in their own right (if a slight tier below).

Hoiberg either hit big or missed entirely.

Prohm's hits are all playing for a paycheck. I wonder if the viability of the D-League and overseas as development options for guys is the problem here or at least a contributing factor to those kinds of guys not sticking around.

The transfer market is different now, but keeping guys is different, too.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The difference is, other coaches recruited, developed and coached their players better so it didn't tank their season. We were dependent on those guys because of issues with recruiting and development. All coaches deal with these things, some just handle them better than others. The balance you list looks great but this staff has essentially been doing that the last 4 classes and have proven it's not ideal for them.

You have to look at both ends.
LW, granted 2 year very feasible
THT, 1& done should of came back 1 more.
TH, 3* to lottery, that's like hitting the lottery.

So basically we have Young 2016, Conditt 2018 and Jackson 2019 as potential 4 year players. Young (5). Lard is the missing guy and we all know he was a head case. Of course if he wasn't he may of turned pro early as well.

Reactions: heitclone

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Is it fair to call Custer a miss? He did lead a team to the final four..

EDIT: Depends on your definition of miss. Don’t think he was a miss in terms of talent evaluation.
That's a valid point. But, I can't consider someone who didn't contribute at all while he was here, a hit. I also don't think he would have ever had much impact here, due to being stuck behind Morris. But, obviously he's less of a miss than guys who transferred down a level and still never did that much.

Reactions: CascadiaClone

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You have to look at both ends.
LW, granted 2 year very feasible
THT, 1& done should of came back 1 more.
TH, 3* to lottery, that's like hitting the lottery.

So basically we have Young 2016, Conditt 2018 and Jackson 2019 as potential 4 year players. Young (5). Lard is the missing guy and we all know he was a head case. Of course if he wasn't he may of turned pro early as well.

Lard might have had the highest ceiling of anybody Prohm has brought in. At his best, he is the best Prohm recruit in terms of productivity over even Shayok. The only guy with a higher ceiling might be Tyrese, but "good Lard" was Godzilla on speed.

I am always going to remember him as an all-time coulda-been guy.

Reactions: ATCy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Every Hoiberg high school guy/true freshman --

Calvin Godrey
Jordan Railey
Melvin Ejim
Percy Gibson
Tavon Sledge
Georges Niang
Naz Mitrou-Long

Nkereuwem Okoro
Matt Thomas
Monté Morris

Sherron Dorsey-Walker
Clayton Custer
Georgios Tsalmpouris

I highlighted the ones that worked out.

5/13

The problem is three of those five should have their jerseys retired and the other two were incredible players in their own right (if a slight tier below).

Hoiberg either hit big or missed entirely.

Prohm's hits are all playing for a paycheck. I wonder if the viability of the D-League and overseas as development options for guys is the problem here or at least a contributing factor to those kinds of guys not sticking around.

The transfer market is different now, but keeping guys is different, too.

Ejim was a McDermott recruit

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron