Deon Silas Commits!

9104Griffith

Jul 31, 2010
Chicago
Welcome to Cyclone Nation Deon! Love your tape and inspired by your story. I’m really excited to see your play making ability in Cardinal and Gold!

I would like to keep the good vibes going. Deon, thanks for choosing to be a Cyclone. I love what our coaching staff has been building and I'm glad you have chosen to be part of that.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I talk to members of the recruiting staff occasionally. They told me they are not going to go out of their way to land an instate prospect over another prospect they think is more talented. They will always take the kid that is more talented and they will ALWAYS recruit the hardest for the kids they believe are the most interested.

It is too hard to walk into the living room of a life long hawkeye and beg him to come to Iowa State. That is what is happening A LOT in this class. Most of those guys (Connor Colby, Griffin Liddle, Jaden Harrell) grew up Hawkeye fans. Frankly, I'm surprised that Brody Brecht hasn't committed to the hawks yet. That must mean we have a real chance. Anyway...

The games are won on the field; the games are won by who gets more points. You do not get more points for in-state guys. The staff wants the best 25 guys they can get, regardless of where they are from. The "in-state guys" argument is a BS one from Twitter.

Also, their recruiting ties are not in Iowa. Their ties are in Ohio (duh), Kansas City, Arizona, the big states (Cali, Texas, Florida), and they are building a pipeline in Chicago and Michigan.

Deon is a stud and it shouldn't be knock on him that he is from florida. (if anything, that's a plus).

Mic drop!

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

Does ISU have Phil Knight and his Nike money? Are we in that universe that can afford to recruit nation wide?
Comparing to ISU to Oregon and the money they can afford to spend on sports is laughable.

I guess every OSU fan would switch places with Oregon right now, and the money that Nike gives them.

Not one person on this thread has said anything negative about our new recruit, I am excited that he choose ISU and look forward to him tearing it up on the field.
I just wish he had better in state talent from Iowa to play with.

Last edited:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I am not saying signing kids just because they are from Iowa, I am saying signing the Best kids from the state, instead of them going to Iowa. Can you see the difference?

4 star kid from Ida Grove, 3 star from Urbandale, these are not two star walk ons but some of the best players in the state. Major difference.

That 4 star kid from Ida Grove had all of zero P5 offers outside of iowa. He had someone from 24/7 fall in love with him and that's it. Our staff has zero problem handing out offers. Yet they didn't offer. Maybe the kid will end up being good, but they obviously passed on that kid. And so did everyone else.

Reactions: aauummm

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
That 4 star kid from Ida Grove had all of zero P5 offers outside of iowa. He had someone from 24/7 fall in love with him and that's it. Our staff has zero problem handing out offers. Yet they didn't offer. Maybe the kid will end up being good, but they obviously passed on that kid. And so did everyone else.

Maybe, I hope you are right and he never plays a down for them. Doesn't change that we are getting our ass kicked in the instate recruiting. Some here are fine with that, the ol, "we can get better kids outside the state", maybe, but its cheaper to recruit the top instate kids, instate vs out of state tuition, and it helps when you try to recruit the next group of instate kids the following season.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Your

It’s a bowl game. Calm down. Most teams lose to Notre Dame by 30.

If you guys can’t see Deon’s talent from his insane tape, I can’t help you.
Honestly, I was in awe at that tape. He blew by players like they were standing still. And it seemed every highlight was a touchdown. So, that got me to wondering, if you remove those touchdowns, what is his average yd/carry after that? Just wondering. That, and too lazy to do the math, but would love it if one of you statisticians would. ;)

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
What I am saying is we are not getting those kids to sign with ISU. I am not blaming Campbell, but if we want to move ahead of them we need to get those kids playing for us and not against us.
Yes, the better talent for years has been produced in the eastern side of the state, for as large as the Des Moines metro is, how many football players have we signed out there? The Allen Lazard's have been few and far between.

We're getting better talent from other states, who gives a fuk where they come from?

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
We're getting better talent from other states, who gives a fuk where they come from?
Agree, Iowa State is a "nationwide brand" :D so it's pretty normal to be able to pick up student athletes who fit our system and are a success with us, no matter where they are from.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I think it may have to do with small town bragging rights.

I still couldn't care less about that, I trust this staff to get the best players available. If you're making a great meal you dont just buy from the small town gas station, you will need to go where the ingredients are more plentiful. Kinda like what Campbell has been doing.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Great news! Is it just me, or are about half the posters on CF actual Hawkeye fans that come here in disguise just to spread manure and negativity? I sure hope our coaches, players and commits see it that way, too.
One doesn't have to be a Hawkeye to be stupid.Granted, being a Hawk fan guarantees it.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I love this response. Who cares where a kid is from? I would also bet central Iowa has as much if not more talent than the eastern side.

Isn't just population density, in the State of Iowa, that will show where the recruits are year after year?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Then why did we lose by 30 to Notre Dame? Or why can’t we get past 7-8 wins? Stars matter is all I’m saying.
I'm not going to get into stars but CMC DOES have to recruit better to consistently win more.

-Captain Obvious

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Does ISU have Phil Knight and his Nike money? Are we in that universe that can afford to recruit nation wide?
Comparing to ISU to Oregon and the money they can afford to spend on sports is laughable.

I guess every OSU fan would switch places with Oregon right now, and the money that Nike gives them.

Not one person on this thread has said anything negative about our new recruit, I am excited that he choose ISU and look forward to him tearing it up on the field.
I just wish he had better in state talent from Iowa to play with.

Then why post it in a thread titled in this recruits name who isn't even from the state of Iowa?
There is a little button near the top where you can start your very own forum on any topic you want.;)

BTW, I'm not trying to pick on you as it is a common occurrence on this board. :rolleyes:

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Honestly, I was in awe at that tape. He blew by players like they were standing still. And it seemed every highlight was a touchdown. So, that got me to wondering, if you remove those touchdowns, what is his average yd/carry after that? Just wondering. That, and too lazy to do the math, but would love it if one of you statisticians would. ;)

Paging @Sigmapolis His analysis is always fantastic!:D

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
But its a cop out to say if they could they would, that is their job to get the best in state players to play for ISU. It's like me telling my boss, "I could do better, but I just don't."

Sure a kid like Liddle may not be interested, and you move on, but how about the rest of the Iowa instate kids, were they all "not interested?"

Its really simple if you want to be a great program, you do it by getting the best instate players, then add to your needs with out of state ones. Talent is king, and we are losing a lot of instate talent to Iowa. Its not a one or two year thing, its been going on for decades.
Ya Iowa doesn't have that much talent in general. Get over it. Hawks will be Hawks. Take the best 25 regardless of location.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron