***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
So we go from 8th in the conference to last in the conference. Not much difference there.

Selling a new coach an empty scholarship chart except for maybe one year of Bolton and one year of Johnson and then selling the fan base on how long and painful of a rebuild something like that is going to be... not going to fun on here.

I don't want to get my hopes up yet again but If Prohm saves this spring with Brown late...

Theoretically it only takes one guy to want to walk into a situation where he is going to be the alpha and omega of the roster and to buy the idea that Bolton, Young, and Conditt are good supporting pieces around him. You know, in theory.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
What role are we trying to fill with Ozier?

Lol, why are you asking me this question?

I hadn't posted here in a while, due to trying to keep myself busy with other things but also because there hasn't been a lot of good news lately.

I wrote what I did because if you offer a kid who is looking to transfer here nothing but a walk-on offer, then why on earth are you bothering to recruit him in the first place? I cannot think of a transfer at the Power 5 level who has accepted a walk-on offer over a scholarship.

None of this is to suggest that I think Ozier is or could be an impact player at the Big 12 level. If he does come here I'll welcome him, wish him well, and support him as long as he wears an Iowa State uniform, but we're starting to really scrape the bottom here.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I was in school during the Johnny Orr years (yes I am that old) and what separated Johnny from the current staff is that Johnny couldn't win on the road as the team didn't defend or rebound that well, but they could, and did, beat anyone at Hilton. While the win/loss record was horrific last year, it was made worse by the embarrassing losses, or even beat-downs, at home to teams that weren't that good. With Johnny, even when the team didn't win on the road, they could get up and feed off the crowd energy and win games they maybe shouldn't have in Hilton. Heck, Danny Manning won a national championship at Kansas but NEVER won a game in Hilton.

We also broke Colorado’s decade long road losing streak too. Creighton at home when they were a mid major.

There were a lot of grimacing maddening losses at home as well.

Again twice the building it is today,

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
We also broke Colorado’s decade long road losing streak too. Creighton at home when they were a mid major.

There were a lot of grimacing maddening losses at home as well.

Again twice the building it is today,

Cool. Its almost like the world is a different place then it was, and there are more places to spend money and time.

Blindly supporting losing is how you become one of the worst power 5 football teams in history.

Last edited:

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I don't want to get my hopes up yet again but If Prohm saves this spring with Brown late...
It only takes one! Doesn’t matter how many misses came before. And when you land a guy like this, you may become more attractive to other transfers.

There will be more imo. So much uncertainty this offseason. New admission rules may kick some recruits our way. NBA draft hopefuls returning could as well.

Prohm has a good track record with guards, can reasonably offer major usage at a P5, and a quality supporting cast. We’ll land some talent imo

Reactions: isu83

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
New admission rules may kick some recruits our way.

It also paints a target on our five returners (or at least Conditt, Jackson, and Young, who have not yet transferred like Bolton and Johnson have).

I am not saying any of them want to bail... if they wanted to, they probably would have by now, and especially Solomon, who would be highly coveted as a graduate transfer right now... but it makes it easier for them to do so if they want to.

The real problematic thing about about that rule change would be next spring. If we suck again, and everybody has one mulligan for a transfer with immediate eligibility, then Conditt, Jackson, and the four incoming freshmen might want to explore other options. That goes doubly so if Prohm is fired and they do not like the new coach.

For example, Blackwell and Foster could be pretty good for freshmen in the Big 12, but that might not be nearly good enough to turn the fortunes of the program around, which means Prohm is out of work and those two are free to bail to a host of suitors. They have to be re-recruited by whoever the new coach would be, and that might not end with them sticking around Ames. So we might be close to starting over.

Cupboards could be pretty bare in the future when new coaches (and not just in Ames here, mind you) come into a school if guys can leave so easily like that.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
If Campbell went 4-8 in Year 3 and 3-9 in Year 5 the same conversations would be had.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You do understand if Prohm is fired this spring- we won't have a team next year. I would be willing to bet all 4 freshman would ask out of their scholarship commitments. With a coaching change, they would have no issue being immediately eligible and based on the spring feeding frenzy they will have great options. Even our 5 current players would have to evaluate if they want to waste a year in a dumpster fire. Bolton & Johnson are probably the only guys who don't have a lot of options, but who knows with the NCAA.

No quality coach is going to take take the job with no roster. Even a guy like TJ might look at the situation and see career suicide.

We should ALL be rooting for Steve Prohm to have a great spring recruiting season and be supportive fans, it can only help on the recruiting front. The negativity will not help and we need all the help we can get at this point. Then let the cards play out. We win next year, then Prohm stays and we have the building blocks to have a program on the upward trend. We lose next year and we are probably looking for a new coach.

People are disagreeing with this. But they don’t want Iowa State to lose.

jesus. If they’re truly fans, it would make sense to hope that Steve Prohm is successful.

you would think that would be an easy thing to figure out. And it shows it’s not about basketball, that’s been a recurring theme for the whole time he’s here.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
You would agree that CSP inherited a much better roster than Matt Campbell. One gets credit for building a culture and likely taking us to 4 bowls in 4 years. Has the other achieved in the same fashion? I think the even the good years are looked at differently when you have two non-competitive years out of five.

That would be fine, if people were not already starting to complain last year.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Campbell also doesnt have players that can leave as easy as they can after 1 year in basketball
More importantly, it’s a lot harder/slower to fill roster holes in football. Yet, CMC had things turned around in 2 years. It makes the fact Prohm struggles even worse.

You’re going to be alone in arguing the year-over-year roster improvement challenge is less in basketball.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
People are disagreeing with this. But they don’t want Iowa State to lose.

jesus. If they’re truly fans, it would make sense to hope that Steve Prohm is successful.

you would think that would be an easy thing to figure out. And it shows it’s not about basketball, that’s been a recurring theme for the whole time he’s here.

We DO want him to be successful but many of us think he WON’T be successful. The fact that you can’t differentiate between the two is astounding.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
So let's be clear. YOU'RE ROOTING for Steve Prohm to fail. Even if ISU would have a solid season next year, you still don't want Steve Prohm here.

You aren't really a Cyclone Fan(atic). You are a anti-Steve Prohm fan. In the end, ROOTING AGAINST your coach is rooting against your team. You are worse than BANDWAGON fan. The Hawks need fans like you.

I said I hope he suddenly becomes a good coach. That’s not rooting for him to fail, it’s knowing he will. Wanting a better coach isn’t a Cyclone hater, I’m just not a blind idiot who’s OK with mediocrity. Most schools would have fired him already, because they want good programs.