***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Bigger brand name where the coach was coaching for his life the last two years.

The Coaching profession is a pretty nomadic lifestyle if you are an assistant. Some guys will attach themselves to a head coach and try to ride that relationship as long as possible- either for professional or family reasons. But it is much more common for assistant coaches to job hop to gain knowledge and develop connections to rise up the ranks.

Berry isn't only interacting with Shaka in hope to someday become a head coach- he is also working with different assistant coaches and a different AD. Having a lot of relationships can only help. The Texas brand name also won't hurt Berry. He will also develop recruiting connections in the state of Texas which produces a ton of HS D1 recruits.

Reactions: cyfan21

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I'd agree that's his best coaching job, but overachieved may be a bit overstated. There were 4 NBA dudes on that roster.

How far back do we have to go to have a better conference record than 12-6.....2001. They were playing as good as anyone in the Top 10 in February and March. Just were outplayed and out coached in the 1st half against Purdue.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I was in school during the Johnny Orr years (yes I am that old) and what separated Johnny from the current staff is that Johnny couldn't win on the road as the team didn't defend or rebound that well, but they could, and did, beat anyone at Hilton. While the win/loss record was horrific last year, it was made worse by the embarrassing losses, or even beat-downs, at home to teams that weren't that good. With Johnny, even when the team didn't win on the road, they could get up and feed off the crowd energy and win games they maybe shouldn't have in Hilton. Heck, Danny Manning won a national championship at Kansas but NEVER won a game in Hilton.

Most vivid memories of the Johnny era were Sam Hill and David Moss using the vast majority of their 10 allotted fouls and of course JO going nuts on every one of them. Really miss those times.

Reactions: CyclonesRock

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
People wanting Prohm fired are wanting what’s best for Iowa State. Of course I’ll be happy if we win the Big12 regular season and make the Final 4 this year with Prohm, but we won’t sniff either.

You do understand if Prohm is fired this spring- we won't have a team next year. I would be willing to bet all 4 freshman would ask out of their scholarship commitments. With a coaching change, they would have no issue being immediately eligible and based on the spring feeding frenzy they will have great options. Even our 5 current players would have to evaluate if they want to waste a year in a dumpster fire. Bolton & Johnson are probably the only guys who don't have a lot of options, but who knows with the NCAA.

No quality coach is going to take take the job with no roster. Even a guy like TJ might look at the situation and see career suicide.

We should ALL be rooting for Steve Prohm to have a great spring recruiting season and be supportive fans, it can only help on the recruiting front. The negativity will not help and we need all the help we can get at this point. Then let the cards play out. We win next year, then Prohm stays and we have the building blocks to have a program on the upward trend. We lose next year and we are probably looking for a new coach.

Reactions: cyfan21

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You do understand if Prohm is fired this spring- we won't have a team next year. I would be willing to bet all 4 freshman would ask out of their scholarship commitments. With a coaching change, they would have no issue being immediately eligible and based on the spring feeding frenzy they will have great options. Even our 5 current players would have to evaluate if they want to waste a year in a dumpster fire. Bolton & Johnson are probably the only guys who don't have a lot of options, but who knows with the NCAA.

No quality coach is going to take take the job with no roster. Even a guy like TJ might look at the situation and see career suicide.

We should ALL be rooting for Steve Prohm to have a great spring recruiting season and be supportive fans, it can only help on the recruiting front. The negativity will not help and we need all the help we can get at this point. Then let the cards play out. We win next year, then Prohm stays and we have the building blocks to have a program on the upward trend. We lose next year and we are probably looking for a new coach.

Yeah, I do not think people appreciate how painful rebuilds could become if the "one free transfer" rule comes into place sometime in the next 12 months.

That means, if and when a coach leaves or gets fired, the whole roster could bail. Like, the WHOLE THING except for guys who used up their mulligan.

Whoever comes in next might not be working with so much as Fred had in 2009. I would have imagine Diante Garrett would have had a lot of options.

The future might not be "rebuilds." It might be clean sheet fresh starts, not just for Iowa State, but for really any program that decides to fire a coach.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Lol of course it’s not going to happen this spring bozo. Sadly it might not happen next spring either. We are just going to have to stick with this dumpster fire and hope he suddenly becomes a good coach.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
How far back do we have to go to have a better conference record than 12-6.....2001. They were playing as good as anyone in the Top 10 in February and March. Just were outplayed and out coached in the 1st half against Purdue.

All true, but not proof they "overachieved". That was a very talented roster. I'd say the production was pretty consistent with the personnel.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Yeah, I do not think people appreciate how painful rebuilds could become if the "one free transfer" rule comes into place sometime in the next 12 months.

That means, if and when a coach leaves or gets fired, the whole roster could bail. Like, the WHOLE THING except for guys who used up their mulligan.

Whoever comes in next might not be working with so much as Fred had in 2009. I would have imagine Diante Garrett would have had a lot of options.

The future might not be "rebuilds." It might be clean sheet fresh starts, not just for Iowa State, but for really any program that decides to fire a coach.

When the rule passes Iowa State is in real trouble. Prohm has already proven he can’t land a transfer to save his life. It doesn’t matter if he’s fired or not, they are walking.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Lol of course it’s not going to happen this spring bozo. Sadly it might not happen next spring either. We are just going to have to stick with this dumpster fire and hope he suddenly becomes a good coach.

So let's be clear. YOU'RE ROOTING for Steve Prohm to fail. Even if ISU would have a solid season next year, you still don't want Steve Prohm here.

You aren't really a Cyclone Fan(atic). You are a anti-Steve Prohm fan. In the end, ROOTING AGAINST your coach is rooting against your team. You are worse than BANDWAGON fan. The Hawks need fans like you.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Isn't that the exact same thing people say about Prohm? "He's brought is good talent but underachieved with it"

Help me understand how the 2 are different because that is exactly what people say about the 2018-2019 team and Prohm's first 2 teams.

I think you know the answer to this.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014

So we go from 8th in the conference to last in the conference. Not much difference there.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I think you know the answer to this.

You would agree that CSP inherited a much better roster than Matt Campbell. One gets credit for building a culture and likely taking us to 4 bowls in 4 years. Has the other achieved in the same fashion? I think the even the good years are looked at differently when you have two non-competitive years out of five.