Grills, Grills, Grills

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
I've got a Nepolean grill. Love the "Sizzle Zone" infrared burner. . Other propane grills have them too under their brand name. Wouldn't use a grill without one.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Are you fully committed to propane?

Or should I not go there...

Yes, mainly because most of my grilling efforts start with food requests at 5:15 and then they want the burger ready to eat at 5:45.

I do prefer the taste of a charcoal cooked burger but speed and convenience.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I bought a Traeger lil tex pro smoker/grill on sale for $400 a few years back and love it. Smoked some ribs on it yesterday. I think they run around $600 srp. I have no basis for comparison on brand for pellet smokers/grills but I can say I don't even use my gas grill anymore. The only down side is I can't get it super hot like I could my gas grill but honestly you don't need a super hot grill to make good food.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I had a cheap grillmaster from Lowe's. Last 3 or 4 years... 2 years ago I bought a Weber Spirit 2 E-210.

Thing is worth twice the $350 i paid for it at Ace.

What I love: tables fold down and the propane stores under the unit. Takes up almost no space on our deck. The surface area is much bigger than you'd think for cooking. I've had 12 third pound patties on the grill at one time! Have no idea why you would ever need more than a 2 burner unless it for commercial uses or you have a small army for a household. The 1 time I had a huge party, it actually worked better to cook in shifts as the guys were busy drinking while the ladies ate round 1

Make sure you get the one with the tank under the grill and not off to the side. The newer ones with the side tank don't fold up nicely

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Have a pellet (GMG) and a gas grill (WEBER). Sometimes that gas grill is best. For burgers, brats and dogs we just fire up gas. For chicken, pork loin, ribs, brisket it is the pellet to smoke.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
q300.jpg

I have used a Weber Q3200 for at least the last 10 years and it worked perfectly for our family of 3.

Great temperature control and plenty of room for almost anything.

Just over $400. I upgraded from my second Char-Broil, which I loved both, but they just didn't last.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Do you have one of those? This is my first time seeing it and this is something my uncle and I have discussed for a long time. Pellet smoker but with charcoal.

My concern has always been the storage of the charcoal and it all heating up/lighting immediately in a big vat like that. This looks ******* slick though. Not sure about the electronics on it either. That looks like a normal computer fan plus the temp gauge/thermometer doesn't look that heavy duty.
I do own one, since December. Love it. There are slides that go in place when done cooking that shut the charcoal down quickly. I worried about that as well when I got it. I have smoked at 225 and seared at 700, with many cooks in between. Would buy again 1000x over.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yes, mainly because most of my grilling efforts start with food requests at 5:15 and then they want the burger ready to eat at 5:45.

I do prefer the taste of a charcoal cooked burger but speed and convenience.

I can relate.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Buy a Weber if your going gas, its worth the cost.
That being said when my 13yr old Weber is ready for replacement, Im probably going pellet.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I have nothing but good things to say about Weber. Granted, mine is just the simple kettle grill, but it was a version sold about 15 years ago, that came on a wheeled frame, with an attached table. About 8 years ago, I went out to grill in the middle of winter. I didn't realize that the foot pegs were frozen to the patio, so when I grabbed the table to move it, the table cracked, half came up with my hand, the other half stayed attached.

I called Weber, since they didn't sell that model anymore, to see if I could buy a new table for it. The lady apologized and said no, that the part shouldn't have done that and they would next day air me a new one out. I said, "yeah, thanks, but this is 7 years old, way beyond the warranty, I just need to buy one." She again said the part hsouldn't have done that. The next day I had my new part.

If you are going to go with gas, I've heard the same from others who own the gas versions. You pay more, but in the long run, it ends up being a lot less.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
yeah, yeah, we all know he transferred. Old news. I think his 3-meter was lower than Nixon's. I liked him though and wish he stayed. Mods, please merge.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Buy a Weber if your going gas, its worth the cost.
That being said when my 13yr old Weber is ready for replacement, Im probably going pellet.

Why wait. I have a weber kettle and a Louisiana Grills pellet grill. They cook so differently, it depends on what I'm making on which one I use. My LG has a moveable plate that allows for direct flame searing, but it still isn't the same for burgers, nothing like a burger over a glazing charcoal grill.

And for the pellet grills, if you've never done bacon on your pellet grill, you are missing out on a lot. No mess in the house, but the added smoke of the pellets. Cook it at about 300 and give it some time, best bacon ever.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I milked every season I could out of my old CharBroil but now. it's time to replace it.

I know Weber is considered the best of the best but has anyone bought a non Weber brand lately from a big box store and been happy? I'll probably end up with a Weber but wanted to see if there is another brand I should strongly consider. Given current times spending $800+ on a grill when you could spend $400 and get just as good of one is something to look at.

TL;DR....Gas grill recommendations...go

it’s not a good year for Grill in Iowa. First Caleb and now your charbroil

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
We had a Stok grill from Home Depot for several years. It was OK, but it finally rusted out. We replaced it with a Weber Genesis and I'll never buy anything else now. Even when it was 30 degrees outside, it heated up higher than the Stock ever would. I've never realized how much I was missing with a grill that didn't get hot enough to properly sear steaks.

Get the Weber, you'll be happier.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Green Mountain Daniel Boone pellet smoker grill. Turned these out tonight on it. Country Pork Ribs roughly around 5 lbs of them.

Capture.JPG

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
They normally do country style ribs on the bone? I've usually seen them boneless. Looks good either way.

I’ve have both types. Still takes about as long as regular ribs. Just a tad over 5 hours. Hy-Vee has a special for $1.99 lb. Need to go to Fareway as they have $2.99 lb brisket on sale this week.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron