Why do we not recruit juco kids

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
We have had a lot of success with guys from Indian Hills, they had another top 5 team and in the last couple of years have had guys go to some major programs. Kansas, Virginia to name a couple. Being from ottumwa and an indian hills alum I still follow their basketball and I have not heard of any Iowa state coaches down there to even look at a player. Please discuss

Reactions: Halincandenza

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
We recruited a Hills player just this year. Also, are currently recruiting a JUCO point guard for 2021. Missed on a couple jucos this spring.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I don't think there are as many good JUCO players anymore due to a myriad of reasons but have recruited some.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
They were too late, kansas had already offered the kid. But 5 of the top 50 juco players played for indian hills this past season.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
One thing I don't get is how the 24/7 composite scoring works compared to HS. For example, if you combined HS and JUCOs and re-ranked them by composite score last year the best JUCO would've been around #185.

In short I don't think JUCO is that full of talent anymore. I suppose some of that has to do with prep schools, and with transfer rules guys that don't get offers they want can go low/mid-major and just transfer rather than try to go JUCO like they used to years ago.

There are still some pretty decent prospects in the JUCO ranks, but it's not at all like it used to be.

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
I think Chris mentioned on a podcast that juco recruiting isn’t anywhere what it used to be.

fsanford

Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I think Chris mentioned on a podcast that juco recruiting isn’t anywhere what it used to be.
The transfer portal, changing the rules how schools could dictate where a kid could not transfer too, more and more guys getting waivers and immediate eligibility.

Just a different recruiting climate these days.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
We have had a lot of success with guys from Indian Hills, they had another top 5 team and in the last couple of years have had guys go to some major programs. Kansas, Virginia to name a couple. Being from ottumwa and an indian hills alum I still follow their basketball and I have not heard of any Iowa state coaches down there to even look at a player. Please discuss

This is a question for the next staff...

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Because there aren't very many players around the country who want to play for this staff. Heck, a lot of Iowa State players don't even want to play for this staff.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
1) We tried a few. Like the other transfers they chose other people.

2) In general there isn't as much talent in JUCO as there was in past years. I catch several Hills games every year. They are a great JUCO program. Great JUCO programs are loaded with Power 5 DI talent any more. The Woldetensae kid last year was clearly that level and I am not sure why we didn't give him a look. I'd assume at the time our roster looked pretty loaded and didn't think we had to go the JUCO direction. We were at least involved with Grant-Foster this year but he went to Kansas. Those are the two I would put in the category of DI Power 5. Even Grant-Foster I'll be interested to see how he progresses at Kansas. He's a great talent and I'd love to have him her, but I think we'll need to develop some to be a big contributor at Kansas.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
1) We tried a few. Like the other transfers they chose other people.

2) In general there isn't as much talent in JUCO as there was in past years. I catch several Hills games every year. They are a great JUCO program. Great JUCO programs are loaded with Power 5 DI talent any more. The Woldetensae kid last year was clearly that level and I am not sure why we didn't give him a look. I'd assume at the time our roster looked pretty loaded and didn't think we had to go the JUCO direction. We were at least involved with Grant-Foster this year but he went to Kansas. Those are the two I would put in the category of DI Power 5. Even Grant-Foster I'll be interested to see how he progresses at Kansas. He's a great talent and I'd love to have him her, but I think we'll need to develop some to be a big contributor at Kansas.
iirc we at least took a look at or were somewhat involved w Woldetensae at some point

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
iirc we at least took a look at or were somewhat involved w Woldetensae at some point

You might be right. I always thought the interest in him was pretty low. I wish he would have ended up in different setting offensively than Virginia

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
You might be right. I always thought the interest in him was pretty low. I wish he would have ended up in different setting offensively than Virginia

we at least took a look but you’re right i don’t think it was ever anything really serious, a shame too because I think he’d be a pretty good fit at ISU

Reactions: WhoISthis

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Does it really matter at this point? It’s just a waiting game until the fallout from the coronavirus is over and we can afford to pull the trigger on the buyout.