Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Don't care. This isn't fantasy land. It's something every single person is aware of, but we can't talk about? Unless we are taking measures to ensure that not a single person gets the virus and completely wipe it out, then everyone is accepting that a certain number of people will die.

Are you volunteering you and yours?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Don't care. This isn't fantasy land. It's something every single person is aware of, but we can't talk about? Unless we are taking measures to ensure that not a single person gets the virus and completely wipe it out, then everyone is accepting that a certain number of people will die.

I'm not certain most people think this way. I'm certainly not think that we did an acceptable job if a specific number of people die.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
That some people are going to die from this, but we are doing things to help limit the number of deaths to an acceptable amount . Certainly not "So basically she wants us all to die".

What I'm reading is most people have this perspective: we don't believe enough is was done when the threat was known early on and enough isn't being done now.

Sure, 21 said it harshly. But based on the context of his posts, he's basically saying the above.Do you agree with that perspective - or is it "wrong" as well?

Reactions: NEPatriotscy

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
It cannot be overstated what an unmitigated strategic and communications failure the state's response has been. A total debacle in every way.

Reynolds has always been a poor executive but even by her standards, this has been a spectaculaly incompetent performance.
it's almost like electing a governor mostly because she was a buddy of the ex-governor wouldn't backfire.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm not certain most people think this way. I'm certainly not think that we did an acceptable job if a specific number of people die.
I think everyone thinks that way. I hate to use the car accident analogy again, but if people actually thought "no deaths are acceptable, we can prevent them all", then they would never get into a car.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
You mean like not telling employees that there are multiple confirmed cases? Or Informing them that we brought all these people from another plant that was shut down because of this disease?

Gosh, that’s just a simple error anyone could make, isn’t it?

Yes they made some very stupid mistakes I fully agree, but I was responding to someone inferring they weren't making any mitigation efforts when at least I don't know if they had taken any steps or not.

What we do know is doing nothing resulted in these plants being closed down.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I don't know about other states, but I really doubt that there are really high number of deaths in Iowa that aren't being attributed to COVID-19 that actually are due to the virus. I fully expect that there are some, but I am skeptical that the number is so high that it makes an appreciable change in how we assess the methods we've used to address the virus.

Anecdotal only, but I have a friend that is a PA in Omaha for 12 years and another that is an ER nurse at Mercy for over 15 years. Both have said this is literally the slowest the ERs have ever been in their careers. Also heard a story on the radio about rural area hospitals prepping, and they pretty much all said they are damn near empty. Obviously people staying in is keeping them from getting sick in other ways, and people don't go in for little things. Count me as being highly skeptical that there are "a bunch" of deaths in Iowa not being attributed to COVID-19. Of course there are going to be some, because they die without getting confirmed, but there is no evidence to suggest it is widespread.

I can vouch for this in our city, my wife has worked at a Hospital for 30 years. Now she is only working 18 hours a week. No medical records to process. Next we will be bailing out hospitals.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'm aware Tyson took some steps but they obviously were not enough. The real problem is Tyson was never given proper guidance on how to operate to mitigate the spread. They were basically trying to figure it out on their own.

Link?

Tyson press releases indicate they'd been following CDC guidelines to manage the crisis since at least March 6, when there was only about 300 people known to have the virus nationwide.

https://thefeed.blog/2020/03/06/adjusting-adapting-to-the-challenge-of-coronavirus/

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

This is quite ironic, since you were the one who stepped in to police other people's perspective.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I think everyone thinks that way. I hate to use the car accident analogy again, but if people actually thought "no deaths are acceptable, we can prevent them all", then they would never get into a car.

I don't think that way and I don't believe I'm special in that regard.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I'm curious how the disease is spreading at that kind of plant. I read upthread that they don't wear masks or face guards - and I know they work in an assembly line format where the meat passes from person to person. I had initially assumed that lockerrooms, breakrooms, etc would have spread the disease - but with it being this widespread I wonder if it isn't passing from employee to employee on the meat?

on second thought maybe I don't want to know

My first thought is touch raw meat then touch my face? I dont know.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This guy just accidentally came up with the appropriate acronym for Iowa...the SOS (sort-of-shelter in place). A little too on the nose.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
What I'm reading is most people have this perspective: we don't believe enough is was done when the threat was known early on and enough isn't being done now.

Sure, 21 said it harshly. But based on the context of his posts, he's basically saying the above. Do you agree with that perspective - or is it "wrong" as well?
It depends on what is meant by "doing more". I don't agree more businesses should have been shut down earlier, or that they should now. I do agree that more people could have and should be taking precautions themselves.

So, I don't agree that from a governmental level, we should have done more, or need to do more. I do agree that from a personal level, people could have done more, and need to be more careful. This includes wearing masks, avoiding touching people, washing hands, etc.. I think the long term solution for the virus is for people to be personally responsible for themselves to not get the virus and not spread the virus. Continuing to shut down business long term is not a solution.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't disagree but lets not pretend that death is the only result. Being intubated, medcial induced coma, extubated, recovery/therapy is a walk in the park either.

Very true, but again, let's keep it in perspective. We've got 175 people hospitalized, 84 in ICU and 48 on a vent in the state. And yes, this is a highly communicable disease, so if your percentages are going down, you are on the right track. Adding 160 or whatever new cases on top of 2000 or so current cases is not a sign that things are not working. About two weeks ago we would have new daily cases and deaths adding at the 25-30% rate.

I think arguing about proper steps makes sense. But people are complaining about the steps because "we would be over this earlier" or because the peak is pushed back are arguing two opposite sides at the same time.

As for the deaths, the only argument really there is what should've been done to better lock down the long-term care facilities. For the rest of the general public, the death rate is what it is going to be until you overwhelm hospital facilities. That's what a population and a state can control as far as the outcome. Iowa isn't close to ICU, vent, or overall bed capacity. Not close. The rates of increase suggest that we're not going to overwhelm these resources. This has been the goal everywhere the whole time.

Reactions: wxman1

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I can vouch for this in our city, my wife has worked at a Hospital for 30 years. Now she is only working 18 hours a week. No medical records to process. Next we will be bailing out hospitals.

hospitals badly need to be bailed out. they have (by force or choice) canceled all elective surgeries / treatments which is their main source of revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron