Tyson Offered $10G to Zookeeper To Punch Out a Silverback Gorilla

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
"......
Tyson said he was being given a private tour of a zoo more than 30 years ago, saw a gorilla being a bully, and offered the tour guide a considerable sum of money so he could go inside the cage and punch him.

"I paid a worker at New York's zoo to re-open it just for me and [ex-wife] Robin [Givens]," Tyson said, according to Boxing Scene.

"When we got to the gorilla cage there was one big silverback gorilla there just bullying all the other gorillas. They were so powerful but their eyes were like an innocent infant.

"I offered the attendant $10,000 to open the cage and let [me] smash that silverback's snot box! He declined...."

Keep reading the part about his pet Tiger :)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/bo...rilla-in-the-face/ar-BB12BKRV?ocid=spartandhp

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Somebody send this to Joe Rogan right now! I need to hear him go crazy on a podcast over a Silverback - Tyson (in his prime) hypothetical fight!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I just read something where he's gotten it together and is in a way better place.

If so, he's come a looong ways.

I was really young during his prime but he was the most exciting boxer I ever witnessed. Once he got beat though, it was just not the same.

Ditto on who said he wouldn't have stood a chance. Underestimating certain wildlife's capabilities is a bad take.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I just read something where he's gotten it together and is in a way better place.

If so, he's come a looong ways.

I was really young during his prime but he was the most exciting boxer I ever witnessed. Once he got beat though, it was just not the same.

Ditto on who said he wouldn't have stood a chance. Underestimating certain wildlife's capabilities is a bad take.

Well, he’s out on the ranch growing pot with ex-NFLer Eben Britton.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tucson...b1704d40-c153-11e9-ae82-23ef408bcff3.amp.html

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Obviously, smoking 10 tons of weed a month is very unhealthy, but Tyson probably knows his life isn’t likely to be that long.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Holy cow. 815kgs is 1800 lbs. The world record of any deadlift I can find is 1,155 lbs, and that's using equipment.

That's a ridiculous amount of weight. I don't think Iron Mike would have fared well.

If it's in the genius book of records its gotta be legit.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Idk, I think there’s a pretty decent chance the gorilla would have been shaken up and backed off. Sharks, mountain lions, etc. have backed off after getting bopped in the nose. Not always the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Bullying is a sign of weakness. Gimme Iron Mike!

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Mike would have just bit the gorilla's ear....

He probably was just crazy enough to try that...

But then, this is what he would have faced in return.

hqdefault.jpg

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
With Vegas feeling the pinch of social distancing, it might be time for them to find a way to make this happen. Go to an island somewhere and televise it. The action would rival the stimulus checks in total dollars.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Idk, I think there’s a pretty decent chance the gorilla would have been shaken up and backed off. Sharks, mountain lions, etc. have backed off after getting bopped in the nose. Not always the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. Bullying is a sign of weakness. Gimme Iron Mike!
One of two things happens:
1) Gorilla retreats
2) You now have a ******* pissed gorilla who beats your ass.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Holy cow. 815kgs is 1800 lbs. The world record of any deadlift I can find is 1,155 lbs, and that's using equipment.

That's a ridiculous amount of weight. I don't think Iron Mike would have fared well.
That 1155 lbs was also tires rather than weight plates, so it was more like a "three quarters" deadlift since the bar was much higher off the ground. FWIW, Hafthor Bjornsson (2017 Worlds Strongest Man and actor who played The Mountain on GOT) will be trying to break the strongman deadlift record by lifting 501 kgs (1104.5 lbs) on May 2nd. Worlds Ultimate Strongman is hosting a free livestream of the attempt.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
That 1155 lbs was also tires rather than weight plates, so it was more like a "three quarters" deadlift since the bar was much higher off the ground. FWIW, Hafthor Bjornsson (2017 Worlds Strongest Man and actor who played The Mountain on GOT) will be trying to break the strongman deadlift record by lifting 501 kgs (1104.5 lbs) on May 2nd. Worlds Ultimate Strongman is hosting a free livestream of the attempt.

The world's strongest man stuff is awesome, but watching these guys do standard deadlifts is frightening. I'm worried one of these guys is going to have a stroke and just fall over dead on the spot.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

The zookeeper saved Iron Mike's life from the sound of it.

The gorilla shrugs off anything Tyson can do to it and then proceeds to break him in half.

Help Support Us

Become a patron