New transfer target ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Lard was so frustrating because you could see how talented he was. If he put in the work like a guy like Ejim did, he would have been all-conference and a potential NBA player.
You could make a real argument that Lard was our best player during Big 12 play his freshman year. The only other player in consideration would have been Wigginton.

Averaged 14.2points, 9.3 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in Big 12 games, as a freshman. He had the talent and skill level to be one of the best players in the history of Iowa State.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Pretty simple with Lard...Had he stayed away from the green he would have been here at ISU. Prohm gave him more than 4-5 chances and then some.

You can only do so much for a young man.
It wasn't just the green. Plenty of guys smoke weed and are fine. He didn't handle authority very well whether it was coming from a coach, trainer, teacher, etc.

He wasn't on time for practice, workouts, class, and that ended up constantly putting him in the dog house. The extracurricular things like partying weren't that big of a deal but they were just extra things that he couldn't afford to have happen. Even star players get into little trouble but those guys are usually the ones who are always showing up and putting in maximum effort, so it's not as big of a problem to the coaches.

Some guys are just wired differently and end up fading out at different points of their career. It happens in professional sports too where they get caught up in a load of other things and it ruins their career. I feel bad for those guys because the problems occurring stem from things that happened in the past and sometimes it's tough for people to be able to break the habits that they became accustomed to.

Reactions: Lyon309Cy

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You could make a real argument that Lard was our best player during Big 12 play his freshman year. The only other player in consideration would have been Wigginton.

Averaged 14.2points, 9.3 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in Big 12 games, as a freshman. He had the talent and skill level to be one of the best players in the history of Iowa State.

You put that talent on Ejim's work ethic and he's the best big man in the conference not named Udoka Azubuike last year, and maybe even beyond him.

Haliburton running a PnR with good Lard cutting hard for lobs... yikes.

That probably forces a lot more defensive intensity into the paint, too, which would have only given Bolton more chances to slash/shoot and Jackson more chances to shoot under favorable conditions. I know people on here whine that we sucked at outside shooting last year, but TH/RB/TJ averaged around 40% in conference.

It was there when they had good looks.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
If he put in the work like a guy like Ejim did, he would have been all-conference and a potential NBA player.
I think this could be said about most all of the players we've had the last few years. Prohm brings in talent, it's the player-driven leadership and accountability that's been lacking. We need an Ejim-like hardass to demand the best from his teammates.

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

It's tough to sit here and think that he could've been one of the greats, but when you look at those freshman statistics they jump off the page. If he would've been able to progress even a little bit and been able to straighten things out, he would've been a premier Big 12 player.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's tough to sit here and think that he could've been one of the greats, but when you look at those freshman statistics they jump off the page. If he would've been able to progress even a little bit and been able to straighten things out, he would've been a premier Big 12 player.

There are not many "coulda woulda" guys out there who had that kind of productivity against Top 25 teams. Lard really was an exceptional combination of talent and production when he was on but an absolute head case and troublemaker otherwise.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006

So, I tried to see how Lard is doing. In the 2019-2020 season he played for Lakeland in the G league. He averaged 3 points and 1.5 rebounds per game. His G league career high in points is 4 and rebounds is 2. Numbers suggest he did not play many minutes. Not exactly tearing it up.

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
So, I tried to see how Lard is doing. In the 2019-2020 season he played for Lakeland in the G league. He averaged 3 points and 1.5 rebounds per game. His G league career high in points is 4 and rebounds is 2. Numbers suggest he did not play many minutes. Not exactly tearing it up.
He’s been playing for a team in the Dominican Republic (Pueblo Nuevo), I’ve seen some highlights on Instagram. Doesn’t exactly look like high level basketball, but looks to be getting paid at the professional level.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Sorry, but back to the original (relevant) topic, I remember watching DeJulius at the open practice before the NCAA tournament games in DSM, and I was impressed with his skill set despite playing behind a wealth of guard talent. He actually stood out to me in PRACTICE (not a game). All joking aside, I generally consider it a good thing for players to work hard in practice.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Maybe no transfers are coming because Haliburton played on a broken wrist. Grill played on a broken wrist (6 games I believe). Bolton played with a concussion. The medical staff for the basketball team seems substantially subpar. All this happened in like a 6 week period.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Maybe no transfers are coming because Haliburton played on a broken wrist. Grill played on a broken wrist (6 games I believe). Bolton played with a concussion. The medical staff for the basketball team seems substantially subpar. All this happened in like a 6 week period.
Delete

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Feel free to defend the medical staff. They are pretty incompetent or just plain bad at their job.
Vic Miller is one of the most competent athletic trainers out there. You have no idea what goes on behind the scenes and this sort of accusation is just uncalled for. Do you think when Halliburton came down on his wrist, Vic was just able to use his x-ray vision and tell if Tyrese had broken it? No, Tyrese told them he was okay, and figured it out that he was not.

I bet you anything that Grill had a slight fracture and was told there is no more damage that can be done and he was given the decision to play or not. What would there have been to lose for Grill sitting out the rest of the year? Absolutely nothing. If it was serious enough, he would've been shut down.

Concussions are one of the hardest injuries to diagnose. Players hit their head on the floor all the time and you don't know if you have a concussion or if you simply hit your head hard. I'm sure Bolton ended up having a minor concussion and if it was truly serious, Vic wouldn't have let him back in the game.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
When you miss out on your top 3 transfer targets and you have 4 open scholarships, we are going to be seeing a lot of new names and targets.

Reactions: thatguy

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
When you miss out on your top 3 transfer targets and you have 4 open scholarships, we are going to be seeing a lot of new names and targets.

There is no place for this type of common sense around here.

You are now going to get bombarded by a bunch of Prohmeosexuals telling you that there are going to be tons more transfers, and that we are all idiots and dramatic for questioning a guy that has put a bunch of guys in the NBA!

Reactions: xboxfever