Pemsl enters transfer portal

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here? So you've won 3 of the last 4 (I'll wait on next year because I can remember a couple of times in recent years where ISU thought they would win and didn't)- were you on here 4-5 years ago telling us about how ISU had won 5 of the previous 6? We get that you're fired up that you werely clearly better than ISU for the first time in two decades. I'm not denying Prohm is on the hot seat and needs to win next year. Just like IA fans were disgruntled with Alford before he was done. Just like IA only put up with Lickliter for 3 years. Just like IA fans have had plenty of times the last ten years that they believed Fran was not the answer. It's college sports and it happens EVERYWHERE- especially at places like IA and ISU. If Prohm doesn't fill those four 'ships with enough talent, he'll be gone. I happen to think he's a first class guy (much like Tom Davis) and I hope he gets it done. IA was 20-11 and in a four way tie for 5th place- it's not like they won the league and went to the Final Four. If that's your measuring stick these days, go for it. We clearly were not near our measuring stick this year but have a little bit of credit built up as a program (Prohm doesn't).

The need to come on here and seek justification by reminding us of your "great" year comes off a little small to me.
You can claim the last 20 you've had an overall better program and I wouldn't argue with that but then I could say let's look at the last 40. Hell, Iowa has won more games over the last 5. It's all subjective. I just disagreed with the statement the isu's basketball program was "light years" ahead of Iowa's still. Again, it's subjective and can change. I highly doubt anybody outside of the state of Iowa gives a damn or perceives any real difference between the two. They probably just think that one or the other seems to be decent sometimes but pay little attention.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You can claim the last 20 you've had an overall better program and I wouldn't argue with that but then I could say let's look at the last 40. Hell, Iowa has won more games over the last 5. It's all subjective. I just disagreed with the statement the isu's basketball program was "light years" ahead of Iowa's still. Again, it's subjective and can change. I highly doubt anybody outside of the state of Iowa gives a damn or perceives any real difference between the two. They probably just think that one or the other seems to be decent sometimes but pay little attention.
We don't even have to go back 20 years dude. We only have to go back 5. We choose 20 because that's how long it's been since Iowa has made a Sweet 16. Iowa beating us 3 out of the last 4 years does not determine who the better program is. We're not in a vacuum. It's no different than when Iowa State went on that little streak in football during the early 2000's. We weren't a better program, we were just beating you.

And I'm sorry, but if you'd ask basketball fans outside the state of Iowa, they'd perceive Iowa State as the better program. We have 9 players in the NBA or on a G-League roster. We've made 2 Sweet 16's since 2014, have won 4 Big 12 tournament titles, and have had multiple players be highly recognized on the national level since 2011. There is no doubt that Iowa had a better year last year and looks solid next year, but a span of 2 years doesn't propel you to being a better program. That's not how it works.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We don't even have to go back 20 years dude. We only have to go back 5. We choose 20 because that's how long it's been since Iowa has made a Sweet 16. Iowa beating us 3 out of the last 4 years does not determine who the better program is. We're not in a vacuum. It's no different than when Iowa State went on that little streak in football during the early 2000's. We weren't a better program, we were just beating you.

And I'm sorry, but if you'd ask basketball fans outside the state of Iowa, they'd perceive Iowa State as the better program. We have 9 players in the NBA or on a G-League roster. We've made 2 Sweet 16's since 2014, have won 4 Big 12 tournament titles, and have had multiple players be highly recognized on the national level since 2011. There is no doubt that Iowa had a better year last year and looks solid next year, but a span of 2 years doesn't propel you to being a better program. That's not how it works.

And Iowa will completely hit the reset button after next year... Lets not pretend like Fran has this thing setup for a 5 year NCAA run. IMO Garza having to go outside of Iowa City to become a better player is pretty telling...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And Iowa will completely hit the reset button after next year... Lets not pretend like Fran has this thing setup for a 5 year NCAA run. IMO Garza having to go outside of Iowa City to become a better player is pretty telling...
Yeah Iowa fans are going to come crashing back down to earth two years from now and it's not going to be pretty.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You’re right why take a 5th year B1G player with more career rebounds than anyone on your roster. Then again why come to Ames if VT, Cincy, BC are calling.
Because he SUCKS

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You’re right why take a 5th year B1G player with more career rebounds than anyone on your roster. Then again why come to Ames if VT, Cincy, BC are calling.

Pemsl sucks. Iowa fans aren't even sad to see him go lol

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

Well initial thoughts would be that no one is interested because we would be taking a 5th year guy who has 400 career rebounds.

Also hes managed to find a way to go as a player from

Meh

to

Bad

to

Fv1v9eK.gif

FightForIowa

Apr 9, 2020
Yeah Iowa fans are going to come crashing back down to earth two years from now and it's not going to be pretty.

This is probably some wishful thinking on your part. Realistically, Iowa could have a starting lineup in 2021-2022 of:

Toussaint (JR)
Fredrick (JR)
Wieskamp (SR)
McCaffery (SR)
Nunge (SR)

Then have Patrick if he is healthy off the bench. Get 2 or 3 guys combined between the 2020 and 2021 class to be able to contribute and that is a decent team.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
This is probably some wishful thinking on your part. Realistically, Iowa could have a starting lineup in 2021-2022 of:

Toussaint (JR)
Fredrick (JR)
Wieskamp (SR)
McCaffery (SR)
Nunge (SR)

Then have Patrick if he is healthy off the bench. Get 2 or 3 guys combined between the 2020 and 2021 class to be able to contribute and that is a decent team.
Wieskamp will be gone, McCaffery lol. Toussaint is just ok but can't shoot. Nunge lol. So you will have 1 guy. The new recruits are all hot garbage.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

Toussaint (JR)
Fredrick (JR)
Wieskamp (SR)
McCaffery (SR)
Nunge (SR)

That's not a lineup to be pounding your chest about...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Toussaint (JR)
Fredrick (JR)
Wieskamp (SR)
McCaffery (SR)
Nunge (SR)

Look, Garza was unbelievable last year. He was virtually unstoppable. He was essentially the only reason Iowa was in a lot of their games and won some. Sure there were times other guys played well, but Garza had the entire program on his back last year. That starting lineup you just listed would get run out of most gyms, unless you're expecting each and everyone of them to make leaps and bounds in their abilities.

Toussaint was out of control and flat out can't shoot. Both Fredrick and Wieskamp started folding when any player got into their grill, plus Wieskamp is gone after next year. McCaffery is flat out not good offensively. He can't shoot unless he's absolutely wide open, and Garza won't be there to pass it into for basically an automatic assist. Nunge hasn't played in like two years so you can't expect him to be an unreal player unless you're basing it off of pure optimism. He wasn't even good his freshman year.

I'm not worried about that lineup whatsoever. There's a better chance that in two years both Iowa State and Iowa are bad than one of them being really good.