***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
@jakeweingarten Michigan’s Colin Castleton is in the transfer portal, a source told @Stockrisers . The former four-star recruit appeared in 25 games and averaged 3.5 points.
Expecting long list of high-major suitors.
https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Colin-Castleton-104963/RecruitInterests/
Would sit out next year, so slide into the rotation in 21-22 taking Solo's spot in the rotation of bigs. Not sure if he's a bust, or like others have said, stuck behind a few guys. You'd have to wonder if it's the former, considering we've had our own 4-star guys bust over the last few years, and essentially if playing time was a concern, Michigan graduates a big or two this year themselves and he should be next man in you'd think. Possibly recruited over? In which case idk if he'd be a take.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Turner does sound pretty open to all 4 schools at least we'll know this weekend on his decision.

The optimist in me could look at this past week of missing on two guards could help ISU's case. Turner will know his role on the cyclones team and not worry about competing for time 1 or 2 other grad transfer guards in rotation minutes with Bolton... Just trying to make a case Prohm could pitch.

IP Guy

Jun 16, 2007
Just my two (million) cents, but here's my analysis of our situation.

PG: Current Hole.
  • Walker will be a solid PG next year, but likely won't have as big of an impact as Morris and Tyrese, such that he'll be better off the bench than as a starter.
  • We need to sign a good facilitator (Monte as a Freshman), but we would prefer one that also can shoot and score (Monte as a Senior).
    • Bolton is better served to be a SG, and he would need to really dive into decision making skills to be able to play PG.
    • Trey Jackson is also more of a Combo/SG and would be better served coming off the bench unless he significantly develops both his handles and decision making skills.
    • Aiken/Carton (if elibigle) would be a great fit, but those seem unlikely.
    • Buggs could be the facilitator, but unlikely to be the shooter/scorer that is ideal. If he is our PG, then we really need a stud wing scorer/shooter.
  • My suspicion is Prohm's NBA PG record will get him at least a good facilitator, but I'm not sure he can get the HR / facilitator that can also score/shoot.
SG / Wing 1: Currently Solid with potential to be All Big 12 Level.
  • Bolton is a very solid Big 12 player at this position with potential to be an All Big 12 player at this position.
    • Strengths:
      • Good shooter when in rhythm
      • Good dribble drive moves, and can attack the rim.
    • Weakness: Difficulty finishing at the rim due to size / decision making.
    • Offseason Needs:
      • keep improving his 3 point shot to move from good to great shooter
      • develop mid range game (level 2 floaters, pull up jumpers and better decisions as to when to pass versus continue to drive (e.g., has the opposite problem as Tyrese at level 2))
      • study film / work with coaching staff to:
        • identify decision tree triggers for the hopefully developing level 2 skills (when to pass, when to shoot pull up, when to drop a floater bomb and when to go all the way to the rim)
        • fully understand the offensive schemes, timing and variations/twists
    • What level of All Big 12 player he can/will be next year depends on how hard he addresses his offseason needs.
    • Also, Bolton usually was defended by the other team's best wing (or after Tyrese was out guard) defender, such that his offensive efficiency/effectiveness likely would be even better if he is the 2nd best wing / 3rd best guard on the team.
  • Trey Jackson will be a solid option off the bench.
  • I'm comfortable about this position, but I admit that I am expecting Ra to work his tail off this off season.
SF / Wing 2: Current Hole / Unknown.
  • Trey Jackson could start in this position, but that would leave us quite undersized unless Walker (and his length) starts (which is not ideal).
  • It is possible Dubar or Blackwell could be ready to start in this position, but it seems more likely that we need an absolute bucket getter (shooter and scorer).
  • Turner would be an amazing get here.
    • He would allow us the flexibility of getting a PG that is an elite facilitator even if not an elite scorer.
    • He would also move Bolton to the second best wing scoring option, which would make Bolton even better.
  • If not Turner, then who? Let's hope some other options become available over time.
  • IF we have a legitimate starter, I believe some combination of Johnson, Dubar and Blackwell will be a great option off the bench here.
  • I see this as the position that truly defines what level our team is next year.
PF / Stretch 4: Unknown / Potentially Solid.
  • While I don't think Javan will be all big 12 next year, I also don't think he'll be a bust from what I've heard.
    • I think he'll hit enough threes to keep defenses honest (NOT the case last year), which will improve our offense immensely.
    • I think he's athletic enough to defend the 4 spot.
    • I think his other skills (driving, rebounding, finishing around the rim) will not blow us away, but will be good enough to be a solid, but not elite Big 12 starter.
  • I also think we have great options off the bench here.
    • Dubar and Blackwell both appear to bring stretch 4 / mismatch 4 capabilities with their length and athleticism.
      • Other than against teams with two legitimate post options, they should be + defenders at the 4.
      • They appear to have driving and finishing skills that could be a mismatch for most 4s.
      • Their biggest unknown is their ability to consistently hit 3's, but it appears they'll be an upgrade from this past year in that area
    • Foster is another option off the bench here.
      • Against Smaller Teams:
        • Foster would give us a rebounding, rim protecting and post up advantage (even though post moves are not Foster's main weapon)
        • Given his height, he should be able to get three's off against shorter 4s, and he's a solid, but not amazing 3P shooter
        • Key will be whether the footwork is solid enough to defend on the perimeter, but admittedly his length should help at least some
      • Against Bigger Teams:
        • Foster would be a great 4 option against big teams / two post teams (e.g., if they are too big for Dubar/Blackwell) given his height and length
        • His ball handling and shooting skills should give him an advantage as he appears able to shoot the open three if a big won't go out to defend him and quick enough to get by a big that tries to defend him on the perimeter
    • I fully concede this position is a great unknown, but I feel like Prohm has enough options here that this position will not be the glaring weakness it was this year (love Jake and his heart, but he played out of position), and my gut says this will be a position that quietly develops into a strength over the year.
Center: Solid to Excellent.
  • Solomon has the potential to be All Big 12 this year (should have at least been honorable mention this year given his second half of the season).
    • Strengths:
      • Post moves are elite with the ability to finish with both hands.
      • Nice soft touch at the mid-range jumper
      • Solid defender / rebounder (when aggressive)
    • Offseason Needs:
      • Extend the range enough to consistently hit 3s enough to open up the lane / force defenders not to sag in a pick and pop scenario
      • Ignite a fire both in himself and the team
        • Challenge himself to increase his rebounds and blocked shots
        • Challenge himself to be more of a leader on the team
  • Conditt has the potential to be one of the best bigs off the bench in the Big 12, but he needs to learn how to consistently get after it and stop thinking the refs are there to give him any favors.
    • Strengths:
      • Shot blocking and finishing at the rim are elite
      • Decent mechanics on the shot
    • Offseason Needs:
      • Strength training to better absorb contact on post moves and defense (should decrease need to lean on defender off balance and thus get too many quick fouls)
      • Improve scoring skills
        • Improve post skills / ability to finish with both hands around the rim
        • Get more consistent mid-range / FT shot
  • Foster will add an additional dimension (see above) that we didn't have last year and can open up the lane in a fully spread offense.
  • I see this position as a strong strength for us and a potential differentiator if we focus on post-entry more (especially when shots outside are not falling).
Executive Summary (yeah, I know normally at the top):
  • Our absolute biggest need is a SF/Wing 2 that is a bucket getter who can shoot and score.
  • We need our returners to work their tails off to take the next step, but their upside potential is promising.
  • We need to sign a solid PG with great facilitator / decision making skills, and signing a PG with those skills that can shoot and score would take us to another level.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
well a coach worth anything would be able to figure that out. Slight adjustment for m offense to get his best players on the court. Plus, even with small ball you need a big guy weather it’s a power forward like solo or a Paul Shirley type which is what this kid reminds me of
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Huggins and Self both tried this season. Huggins struggled down the stretch, and Self had to abandon the two bigs. Both are HOF coaches, with very talented pieces.

I will say, it depends greatly on the skill sets of the two bigs you're trying to play. I don't think there's much of a chance with two guys who are back-to-the-basket types.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

daniel22

Mar 4, 2011
Perry could be a guy we get after and make a priority since Colorado and SHU landed guards today

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
We've got 4 schollies and need to replace a chucker. Why not toss him a bone?
I'm not completely against it, as long as we still get a real pg, and someone that can be a scorer. And in that case, Willis is competing with Bolton and Jackson for minutes. Is he better than either of them?