Gomez

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yep you're right. They're gonna save our program. And you know this because you watched highlights of them playing against other high schools.
I mean you must've failed to read that I said you can't put much stock into highlights and rankings, but when you look at highlights, rankings, as well as offers, you should have a better projection as to what we might be in store for.

You can't just look at highlights and I never said that was the sole reason I think some of these freshman will be good.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
You mean like he did two years ago?

Oh you mean the year he had three NBA draft picks and two more pro's in Lindell Wigginton and Nick Babb barely got 5th with a .500 record and was bounced in the first round of the tourney?

Yeah I'm sure he'll totally do that again with the guys coming in...

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
This recruiting class looks good but looking at Prohm's track record, who knows. Odds are that 2 of those guys won't be here beyond next year. All recruiting is a crapshoot but this staff is worse than 50/50 when it comes to HS recruits panning out to even be role players. With this staff's issues with scouting and player development, it's tough to feel comfortable counting on those guys.
Maybe you should go be a Duke fan or something. Or maybe just give up watching basketball all together if it makes you this miserable Have faith man. CSP will get us back on track.

Reactions: Cyforce

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Oh you mean the year he had three NBA draft picks and two more pro's in Lindell Wigginton and Nick Babb barely got 5th with a .500 record and was bounced in the first round of the tourney?

Yeah I'm sure he'll totally do that again with the guys coming in...
.500 record in the best conference in all of college basketball I may add. A roster made up primarily by underclassmen I may add.

We don't have to be as good as we were in 2018-2019 in order to have a successful season. If we were a 10 seed next year in the tournament and win a tournament game does that mean we had a better team than two years ago? Not necessarily. It's all relative.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Holy cow you're incredibly negative. Lol
I call it realistic. We are not one decent grad transfer from being a NCAA caliber team unless people improve well beyond the normal expected amount. We have lost 8 players, and are currently replacing those 8 with one sit out transfer who we have been told to expect to be a role player, and 4 freshman. If 2 of those freshman end up being starter quality that would end up being phenomenal.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Maybe you should go be a Duke fan or something. Or maybe just give up watching basketball all together if it makes you this miserable Have faith man. CSP will get us back on track.
And if he doesn't, he's gone and we're going to grab someone who can turn it around. If people don't think Jamie will grab someone good after Steve, welp maybe re-evaluate whether or not you want to be a fan of this school.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I call it realistic. We are not one decent grad transfer from being a NCAA caliber team unless people improve well beyond the normal expected amount. We have lost 8 players, and are currently replacing those 8 with one sit out transfer who we have been told to expect to be a role player, and 4 freshman. If 2 of those freshman end up being starter quality that would end up being phenomenal.
There's a difference in being realistic and actively shooting down any sort of optimism.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

No misery, just pointing out facts. I hope youre right, I'll be pulling for Steve to get it done. I don't have much faith in his coaching abilities but him getting fired next season would extend the rebuild a couple more years. Best case scenario is he figures it out but with the state of the roster right now, he's really got his work cut out for him.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
No misery, just pointing out facts. I hope youre right, I'll be pulling for Steve to get it done. I don't have much faith in his coaching abilities but him getting fired next season would extend the rebuild a couple more years. Best case scenario is he figures it out but with the state of the roster right now, he's really got his work cut out for him.
We have talent coming in and I we have some guys that got experience the hard way last year. It will help them become better leaders. We will surprise some people next year. But we really need to land a couple of transfers to help fill the holes. If we don't it will obviously be similar to this year I'm afraid.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm sorry facts like 37% shooter from the floor from February onward got in the way of your sunshine.
A freshman shot 38% from the 3pt line from February on. 70% of his shots come from beyond the arc. That's a positive, not a negative.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Conditt, Solo, Bolton and Jackson were essentially our core after Haliburton's injury. We went 2-9 during that period.

So basically to turn us from that type of team into a "good" team you are counting on a guy who averaged 10 PPG at Troy and 4 guys who have never played a minute of college basketball, 3 of which aren't even Top 150 recruits.

I'm hoping they can come in and surprise, but let's be honest, they will have to pretty much all exceed expectations to give us anys hot.
2-9, but capable of losing to FAMU and beating UT!

Several young guys will need to become consistent. And we’ll need to utilize having a more balanced roster.

After a bad 2017-18 year, We played our best the following year without DJ, Lard, Young, and Wigginton. That’s nearly the entire lineup from the previous season. One well thought of transfer, although without a ton of offers, an overlooked transfer, and a couple freshman (one of which wasn’t much above replacement imo).

One good addition, and we can be much better next year.

Last edited:

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Halliburton is going to be a lottery pick..so yeah, every bit as good as an All American. We seriously going to argue that?

If you really think next years team is going to be good then your just delusional, plain and simple. Last years team got embarrassed like no other ISU team in recent memory and people like you think Steve is just going to pick up some transfers, plug in the freshman and we are back in business...its just laughable.
It’s laughable you cannot defend your contention! Stop resorting to straw mans. Think!

Lottery pick isn’t a measure of which was the better college player. It doesn’t mean you’re as good as All Americans. Take Garza for example. Great college player that won’t be a lottery pick!

It’s laughable you claimed even Kane wouldn’t make next year a tournament team, then can’t support the claim!

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It’s laughable you cannot defend your contention! Stop resorting to straw mans. Think!

Lottery pick isn’t a measure of which was the better college player. It doesn’t mean you’re as good as All Americans. Take Garza for example. Great college player that won’t be a lottery pick!

It’s laughable you claimed even Kane wouldn’t make next year a tournament team, then can’t support the claim!
If Kane was 19 years old he might've been a lottery pick lol. He was what, 23? That right there was a turnoff to tons of NBA scouts.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Hello, we just had our 2nd bad season in 3!

We know we have problems. Imo they’re fixable, but so far we’re not seeing those repairs occur.
You can't fix a car unless you have skills being a mechanic.
Likewise, you can't fix basketball problems if you don't have what it takes to be a basketball coach...
...I think we have arrived at that conclusion. :(

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
I have faith in Jesus Christ dying on the cross for our sins and being resurrected 3 days later.
I have NO faith in Steve Prohm to resurrect our dying basketball program in 3 days or 3 years.

Last edited: