Bowlsby comments on 2020 football season

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
This is interesting and a good point.

From article: "Bowlsby said universities are under "tremendous financial stress" and aren't in a position to help their athletic departments, but that most in the Big 12 are self-sustained.

"If it was just something that was unique to athletics, it would be different, but universities are giving back board and room charges, and they're refunding tuition and they're doing things, cancelling summer school and doing things that have previously generated cash flow," he said. "They're not able to do anything really to help the athletics programs very much.

"Especially at our level, they tend to be self-funded for the most part. The institution isn't capable of making up lost revenue. What do you do? You have to reduce operations. To reduce at levels that could be imagined is enormously difficult."

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Most people have stated that the college football landscape has gotten much too big and would at some point crash. I think it's pretty obvious that we're at the starting point of that. Schools are going to have to be much smarter with their money and how they invest it going forward.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The Notre Dame AD said playing without fans is a no go for him.

This will get heated before long.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The Notre Dame AD said playing without fans is a no go for him.

This will get heated before long.

Makes sense, if it's not safe for fans, we shouldn't be making players take unnecessary risks. Taking a year off and having a reset of sorts on football budgets may very well be what is coming.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Makes sense, if it's not safe for fans, we shouldn't be making players take unnecessary risks. Taking a year off and having a reset of sorts on football budgets may very well be what is coming.
I don't disagree that this is very much on the table. However, there would be so many programs that would never recover from that. Another reason we need to thank God we have Jamie.

On another note, I don't think we can count on the Ames Power and Light District any time soon.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Most people have stated that the college football landscape has gotten much too big and would at some point crash. I think it's pretty obvious that we're at the starting point of that. Schools are going to have to be much smarter with their money and how they invest it going forward.
We'll probably start seeing a cooling down period on some major construction projects.

clone4good

Oct 27, 2009
You can’t have large gatherings without a cure for this virus. I’ve said all along that we will not have sports for over a year until we have a vaccine that can cure the virus. You’re not going to let MILLIONS of people on Saturday and Sundays tailgate and pack the stadiums and think the virus will hold or go down in numbers. Not happening. It’s just reality.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
You can’t have large gatherings without a cure for this virus. I’ve said all along that we will not have sports for over a year until we have a vaccine that can cure the virus. You’re not going to let MILLIONS of people on Saturday and Sundays tailgate and pack the stadiums and think the virus will hold or go down in numbers. Not happening. It’s just reality.

I pretty much agree, but if we had robust testing and robust antibody testing, it could help.

I still do not understand why we do not have more testing.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
How much does the Big12 have 'in reserves'? Would have liked to see him elaborate on those figures. Other than that he pretty much said nothing that we don't already know.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia

it's 5 months away. a month ago i was golfing in AZ.

A lot will change.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

great post. Everyone that’s screaming “they want/need the money they will do whatever it takes to play!” aren’t executive level thinkers. A watered down, no fan, season where the media is constantly questioning the risk to player safety is not good for business and is too much of a risk if they want a long term future.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
great post. Everyone that’s screaming “they want/need the money they will do whatever it takes to play!” aren’t executive level thinkers. A watered down, no fan, season where the media is constantly questioning the risk to player safety is not good for business and is too much of a risk if they want a long term future.

I do not know many industries that can go 18 months without revenue and survive. You are right that a prudent executive is cautious, but if your choices are between taking some risks and quietly accepting extinction, you go down fighting.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I do not know many industries that can go 18 months without revenue and survive. You are right that a prudent executive is cautious, but if your choices are between taking some risks and quietly accepting extinction, you go down fighting.

The biggest thing that could cause extinction is a player, players, coach, or coaches becoming infected due to playing or practicing and death or deaths ensuing. That’s not a black eye that is the guy in Indiana Jones ripping that dudes heart out of chest.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Maybe the idea that we'd be back to normal by Easter was true but it meant college football kicks off the day before Easter 2021.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
The biggest thing that could cause extinction is a player, players, coach, or coaches becoming infected due to playing or practicing and death or deaths ensuing. That’s not a black eye that is the guy in Indiana Jones ripping that dudes heart out of chest.

That frankly might be inevitable -- in 2020 or in 2021.

Who knew a respiratory infection would kill football, not brain and spinal trauma.