Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Late on this but I think that's a very smart approach. If our daycare and offices open at similar times, I'm debating send the child but staying home another few weeks. My guess is he may be exposed (or pick up whatever germs hes missed out on!) and then that limits us from spreading it to our offices right away.

This is what I have been thinking for my plans as well. I can normally be productive working at home and I don't mind it at all, but with the two young kids at home that is a different story. So we may also have the kids back in daycare for a few weeks while we continue to work from home. It gets everyone back to a more normal and productive routine while still limiting contacts for our family as a whole.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
This is what I have been thinking for my plans as well. I can normally be productive working at home and I don't mind it at all, but with the two young kids at home that is a different story. So we may also have the kids back in daycare for a few weeks while we continue to work from home. It gets everyone back to a more normal and productive routine while still limiting contacts for our family as a whole.

yeah trying to WFH with a young child is pretty much a joke.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Thought this was funny (stolen fron Reddit)

The spread of COVID-19 is based on two factors
renderTimingPixel.png

1. How dense the population is

2. How dense the population is

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006
I think we’ll be passing lots of states soon

We are testing more and more so numbers are going to go up. Are we doing the same amount of testing as other states? These numbers are so hard to compare because of the variables when it comes to how the testing is being done.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We are testing more and more so numbers are going to go up. Are we doing the same amount of testing as other states? These numbers are so hard to compare because of the variables when it comes to how the testing is being done.

an article I just read says we have more raw cases than Minnesota. It also says Minnesota has tested 32,294 people and iowa 14,973.

serverguy

Apr 11, 2006
an article I just read says we have more raw cases than Minnesota. It also says Minnesota has tested 32,294 people and iowa 14,973.

Is the criteria the same to get tested in Iowa as it is in Minnesota. To be able to answer that question if fairly hard. Are there more people in Minnesota that have just stayed at home and not needed medical assistance. There are so many variables and the limited number of testing makes it pretty hard to draw any type of comparison that means anything. We have a few more positive tests but yet Minnesota has 21 more deaths reported.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sounds like we are testing hot spots in mass, will make the positive results higher than a normal set of testing.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Anybody know what the criteria for testing is in each state, or does it vary by specific location? Considering Iowa's positive rate and the relatively small number of tests being administered in both states suggest pretty different testing requirements.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Anybody know what the criteria for testing is in each state, or does it vary by specific location? Considering Iowa's positive rate and the relatively small number of tests being administered in both states suggest pretty different testing requirements.

I have a coworker in Wisconsin who went to the ER last week after having several symptoms. They tested for flu and other viruses, all negative, so she was 'presumed' positive for Covid but they didn't test her. I can't remember what she said for requirements but they're apparently pretty high standards.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

From our local paper here in Iowa, The criteria for testing are partly determined by the availably of testing resources and this is subject to change. With a limited supply of test kits available, the IDPH and CDC guidelines, prioritize testing to start with hospitalized patients and symphonic healthcare workers.
Next in line are symptomatic patients in long term care facilities and symptomatic patients over the age of 65, and those with chronic health conditions.

Currently in our rural county they have performed 30 tests all negative.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Looks like the currently hospitalized dropped down to 115 from 122. Of course there will be some lag and gaps in reporting, but this is really encouraging. Hard to read too much into one day, but if I recall over the past week or so we have gone now from 80 "currently hospitalized" to 115. Lots of capacity left and at a good pace to stay under it while herd immunity gets closer. I hypothesized yesterday that the timing of the early cases and duration of typical hospital stays suggested we might get a surge of recoveries and hospital discharges soon. Maybe that's the case, or maybe this is a bit of a fluke or artifact of reporting, as it's odd that we went from 104 - 122 - 115 in 48 hours. Still, this is really encouraging.

Obviously people dying is terrible news. But you have to balance it to the reality of this situation. The rate at which this disease is spreading as a percent of cases is really slowing down. We have lots of hospital capacity and the rate at which we are tapping in to that capacity is really low. The effect of the additional measures taken by people are going to really start showing up in the data over the next couple of weeks. Lastly, we've been in a period of long-term facilities really going on lockdown. As a result we're seeing a shift in % of cases to younger people, and we're also seeing rate of deaths vs. confirmed cases going down.

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
Is the criteria the same to get tested in Iowa as it is in Minnesota. To be able to answer that question if fairly hard. Are there more people in Minnesota that have just stayed at home and not needed medical assistance. There are so many variables and the limited number of testing makes it pretty hard to draw any type of comparison that means anything. We have a few more positive tests but yet Minnesota has 21 more deaths reported.

Are deaths MN residents. Mayo may be influencing the stats.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Wondering if Minn has any outbreaks in long term care facilities, the outbreak in the CR facility is 70 plus cases and many of the county's deaths if not all.

Status
Not open for further replies.