Aiken

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
He's being kept around due to $$$$$.

I would add perception to that too. Firing CSP after this last season would have been a really bad look. The only way JP could make that move is if he already had a hire in his back pocket.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My freshman year. Grrr

upload_2020-4-9_9-44-0.png

How a team with...

Garrett -- cup of coffee in the NBA
Staiger -- great shooter, even if not exactly versatile
Gilstrap -- great JUCO, we'd be really excited about him for next year
Brackins -- first-round draft pick
Hamilton -- stuck in the NBA for a few years
---
Christopherson -- great shooter, but again not the most versatile
Vanderbeken -- another great shooter
+ two former 4* recruits in Dendy and Colvin

...never amounted to anything... that team had three future NBA players and went 15-17 overall (on a much easier schedule with only 16 conference games compared to the ones we play nowadays) and 4-12 in the Big 12 evades me.

The 2019 team probably had at least three (Shayok and THT have had a cup of coffee, Haliburton is about to be a lottery pick) and maybe four (we will see with Wigginton) NBA guys and went 23-12 (9-9) and we still whine about it.

This game is when it all turned sour for me --

http://barttorvik.com/box.php?muid=293320066&year=2010

upload_2020-4-9_9-41-44.png

We blew an eight-point lead with 15:00 left at the UIC Pavilion against Northwestern. I do not remember what happened... but it just felt like that team was missing something, somehow, despite having the best player on the court out there most of the time with Brackins, and they never accomplished anything except for upsetting #5 Kansas State in Manhattan, a nice win (and McD's only over a ranked foe) but ultimately meaningless.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
tenor.gif
quote-if-i-would-be-a-young-man-again-and-had-to-decide-how-to-make-my-living-i-would-not-albert-einstein-53-26-47.jpg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I would add perception to that too. Firing CSP after this last season would have been a really bad look. The only way JP could make that move is if he already had a hire in his back pocket.
Great, now we can't even recruit coaches....

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
"These players suck! Why can't Steve get players that are good?!"

(Steve tells a few guys they're better off elsewhere)

"It's been a month! Where is our roster? Why haven't we gotten a guy yet? Next year is over!"

A) Do you expect some wave of high-impact, immediately eligible transfers to hit the market? College basketball has been over for a month now. I'd imagine most people who intend to leave have done so.

B) Lets say this does happen-- do you have any faith in our ability to land any of these guys? I understand there is some benefit in Zion and T-Lew moving on. Maybe even Grill. But I always scoffed at the idea that there are high impact transfers just lining up to come play here. It's just not that simple any more.

Moral of the story is we couldn't afford to have the number of recruiting misses we've had in the last 2 years. That's a program killer.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
A) Do you expect some wave of high-impact, immediately eligible transfers to hit the market? College basketball has been over for a month now. I'd imagine most people who intend to leave have done so.

B) Lets say this does happen-- do you have any faith in our ability to land any of these guys? I understand there is some benefit in Zion and T-Lew moving on. Maybe even Grill. But I always scoffed at the idea that there are high impact transfers just lining up to come play here. It's just not that simple any more.

We haven’t gone a single day yet without guys entering the portal. If people hadn’t already entered it even just today, you’d have a point.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We haven’t gone a single day yet without guys entering the portal. If people hadn’t already entered it even just today, you’d have a point.

Sure, but how many that have entered recently are high-impact, immediately eligible guys?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Moral of the story is we couldn't afford to have the number of recruiting misses we've had in the last 2 years. That's a program killer.
A) I expect us to end up grabbing 2 quality guys that can contribute well to next years team. Although CBB has been over for a month, we're in a weird time and I expect more guys to keep popping up. I mean there were two guys who announced this morning already.

B) I believe Prohm's going to be able to land one good one. The second one may not be a homerun, but I think Prohm's going to get it done. Hypothetically that guy might not have made a decision already, but I think come June, we'll have a good player.

And while we have had recruiting misses, we've had plenty of hits. The problem is those hits left all at the same time essentially. Lard, Wiggs, Halliburton, and THT all left in a span of 3 years. That can decimate a program like ISU. We can't reload every year with talent we have to have some constant players that stick it out. I

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
We didn't need Gomez. We need someone like him. He's not the only guy in the nation who can shoot the basketball well. Next year's season isn't going to come down to whether or not we got him or not. It's disappointing that we didn't get him but we shouldn't now just completely give up on next season. Will we get a better shooter than him? Eh, probably not, but we can find someone that does other stuff better than him, like play defense, distribute, and finish at the rim.

We have four open scholarships off a team that lost 20 games last year. A large chunk of them in blow out fashion, including the most embarrassing lost in Iowa State History, the largest defeat in Hilton history, and the most 20 loss games in ISU History. We NEED anybody that can come here and help us win games. The roster was managed so poorly that in year 6 we are chasing whatever transfers will come here.

Your love of Prohm and the job he is doing is admirable I guess, but I don't understand why this is the hill you are willing to die on.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Hey, I'll defer to you guys. I'll expect the surge of high-impact, immediately eligible point guards any day now.

Honestly, the transfers don't really slow down until the coach carousel stops spinning... the trickle down to the mid majors last quite awhile.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Hey, I'll defer to you guys. I'll expect the surge of high-impact, immediately eligible point guards any day now.
You’re correct, there were only so many to begin the offseason, and that number is fairly quickly decreasing. Decreasing odds we land what we need.

But it only takes one and I’m not sure our odds change as much as we think based on the overall numbers. They’re decreasing, but most of these “misses” coming off the board weren’t in play, and I’m guessing there are guys in play we fans don’t know are even thinking of leaving.

Seems like quality guys become available even through the summer. Imo that could be even more so this year. We’ll be one of the better opportunities with openings, and we’ll get a good player imo

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We have four open scholarships off a team that lost 20 games last year. A large chunk of them in blow out fashion, including the most embarrassing lost in Iowa State History, the largest defeat in Hilton history, and the most 20 loss games in ISU History. We NEED anybody that can come here and help us win games. The roster was managed so poorly that in year 6 we are chasing whatever transfers will come here.

Your love of Prohm and the job he is doing is admirable I guess, but I don't understand why this is the hill you are willing to die on.
I don't love Prohm lol, I'm just being fair to the guy because as much as a ton of people don't like to hear this, he deserves another year. Last year was an absolute s*** show, but I'm not going to completely melt down because of it. Prohm is doing exactly what he should be doing to be better next year and that's get rid of the guys who have been here and haven't improved, bring in a good recruiting class, and land a couple of transfers.

Think about it.. If we'd land Turner or Aiken, the majority of people on here would immediately be happy. They'd go from jumping off the deep end, to looking at next season with optimism. Neither of those guys have committed elsewhere yet and there are going to end up being guys that end up transferring later on that we'll have opportunities to get.

If Prohm doesn't turn it around this next season, he is likely gone. Complaining about the past is stupid when nothing can be done to change that. Literally nothing. So you can sit here and whine about it or choose to have even a sliver of faith and see what happens. Either way, after next year, most people will be happy. Prohm's either fired, or we've had a good season.

adjl

Jun 13, 2019

We have also had multiple guys leave early for the pros. That has an impact on Every program who is not a Blue Blood. I wish we were a Blue Blood but we aren't. We are a solid program so we attract high level talent, but not quite good enough to be on Duke's level for example. So we have to occasionally count on the transfer market to help. Sometimes it works (Shayok), sometimes it doesn't (Nixon). I'm still hopeful we can get at least 2 impact transfers to come and we will be just fine. New recruits look great. The future is bright. Just need some help for next season.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I get the reasoning, but that’s a bit of a false dilemma, is it not? I mean, it isn’t just a.) get Carton, we keep and continue to (mostly) lose under Prohm b.) or we don’t land Carton.

Sure, those are both plausible, and I get you’re mostly just using it to illustrate how bleak you feel things are.

But you’re forgetting one of the most likely possible outcomes! We land DJ, and we have a great year or two with him! Isn’t that what it’s all about?

Of course we take any talent we can get. I've consistently said that the best outcome is Steve rights the ship. I just want some proof it's going to happen. I'd love Carton.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron