Air Duct Cleaning

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
Looking at getting 2 story home ventilation system cleaned. I know this service is done by most large HVAC companies. I was quoted 650-700 which seemed high but I don't kow what going rate is. Anyone done this recently ?

Reactions: khardbored

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I use a suitcase filled with $2 million...

GenuineCriminalGharial-poster.jpg

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Whichever company you choose, make sure they have the truck and vacuum attachments, such as Zerorez. We just got a new water heater installed by an HVAC company and I asked the tech about doing that for our house: he recommended using a company that specializes in duct cleaning. His company offered duct cleaning but they don’t have the truck to ensure the cleaning is as thorough as if you went to a company like Zerorez.

I used Zerorez at my first house. They were probably around that much and the house wasn’t very big (1.5 story) but they were really thorough. We had them come out around the time when we moved in - I needed them to remove all the old pet hair from the previous tenants. They got rid of all the hair/smell and I could still smell whatever “scent” they used in their cleaning agent 2 months later. I probably wouldn’t use Zerorez at my current house. I’ve seen some adds for Lenz(I think I spelled it right) that I may see what their quote would be.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I used Zerorez at my first house. They were probably around that much and the house wasn’t very big (1.5 story) but they were really thorough. We had them come out around the time when we moved in - I needed them to remove all the old pet hair from the previous tenants. They got rid of all the hair/smell and I could still smell whatever “scent” they used in their cleaning agent 2 months later. I probably wouldn’t use Zerorez at my current house. I’ve seen some adds for Lenz(I think I spelled it right) that I may see what their quote would be.

I tried Lenz two years ago when my A/C stopped working (fan went bad). I liked that they were local but I had a bad experience. They came out, looked at the A/C and furnace and said “It’s probably a $700 repair but your A/C and furnace are 10 years old and that’s about as long as these things last these days.” and left me with a quote for $8,000 to replace both. Called someone else, $200 part and $200 labor/service call and everything was fixed. But just one person’s experience.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Looking at getting 2 story home ventilation system cleaned. I know this service is done by most large HVAC companies. I was quoted 650-700 which seemed high but I don't kow what going rate is. Anyone done this recently ?
Probably 2ish years ago. $350 for 2 guys and they were at our house for probably 3-4 hours.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Question for those of you who have had it done. Did you notice a significant difference?

I only ask as I had an ex-coworker who use to work for a duct cleaning company and he would often admit it was a scam.

Reactions: CyJam

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Question for those of you who have had it done. Did you notice a significant difference?

I only ask as I had an ex-coworker who use to work for a duct cleaning company and he would often admit it was a scam.
Performance wise probably not but smell wise yes. Tons of drywall, wood, carpet in ours that probably contributed to that.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Performance wise probably not but smell wise yes. Tons of drywall, wood, carpet in ours that probably contributed to that.
I would think that if you had dust allergies it would have to help too. No idea if it actually would I’ve never had it done.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Best way to tell if you need this would be to check your furnace filter: If you need to replace the filter frequently, or if there is noticeable dust/debris on the filter then you should probably get those ducts cleaned out.

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
We get mold around the ceiling vents in the basement, we already run a dehumidifier, but have been wondering if getting duct work cleaned would help with that or not?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We tore up a bunch of tile last fall and I'm convinced that dust is still sitting in the ducts. I have some more to do, but I think this would be money well spent.