Aiken

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
CW biggest troll on this site.

ClickBait/revenue. He knows that any time he starts a thread with a grad transfer name as the title there will be page after page of meltdown and angst, no matter whether ISU gets the transfer or not...

Last edited:

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
ClickBait/revenue. He knows that any time he starts a thread with a grad transfer name as the title there will be page after page of meltdown and angst.

I remember when he claimed we were getting a couple JUCOs. Then two days ago he said on his CF Minute that it would be an exciting week for transfer recruiting. Either CWs definition of exciting is different than mine or he has turned into the biggest troll on this site.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
And hypothetically if Prohm would leave, that wouldn't mean the current guys on the roster would 100% transfer. When Fred left, the guys on that roster could've gone elsewhere but decided to stay.

The difference would be guys will no longer have to sit a year if they want to transfer. When Fred left Niang, Morris, Thomas and Long were all upperclassman who had played together for a number of years. So staying at ISU made a lot of sense because the returning roster was very good and they were invested in each other as much as ISU. Plus my impression is Prohm is a great guy- so they didn't see a reason to leave.

Not saying we shouldn't fire Prohm after next season if we have a .500 season and finish near the bottom of the Big12, but with guys being immediately eligible to transfer, I think next spring is going to be absolutely crazy! And the majority of our roster will be guys only at ISU one year (Blackwell, Dubar, Foster & Walker), if we fire Prohm I could see almost an entirely new roster for 2021/22. Which isn't guaranteed to me that season can't be a success. The rule might actually help.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I remember when he claimed we were getting a couple JUCOs. Then two days ago he said on his CF Minute that it would be an exciting week for transfer recruiting. Either CWs definition of exciting is different than mine or he has turned into the biggest troll on this site.
Or he doesn’t know any more than others on this site.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I don't believe that CW is a troll, outside of his grotesque appearance, but I'll say that anyone who's been at it this long has to know how easy it is to troll Cyclone fans.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
This is going to sound really negative, but why the hell would any transfer come here right now? You only have a precious year or two of college basketball left - what about Iowa State's program right now would make you feel like it's the place to spend that last year or two?

The program is in a damaged state right now.

We have a good recent track record of getting people to the NBA.
2019 - THT and Shayok drafted
2017 - Morris
2016 - Niang and Nader

Couple that with the fact that we have 8 players currently in the NBA, and it's fairly attractive.

Compare that to the Seton Hall who has 0 players currently in the NBA.

If you want to get to the NBA, ISU is probably a better place than SH.

I think the first post is a good question and the second is a good reply, so I'll throw in my 2 cents on the selling points. I

1. Hilton/Fans
2. We have 5 serviceable players coming back, none are much more than role players, but none of them should be dog poop bad either.
3. We have the 23rd ranked recruiting class coming in and while they'll be young, they have talent.
4. We need an Alpha Dog who can score and shoot in a bad way. If you can score/shoot, you will get major minutes on this team.

I'm not sure how much of the above anyone can believe in after the train wreck we just watched last year, but that has to be Prohm's message. If he can get 1 or 2 additional players that are D1 ready, a couple of the existing guys take a step forward, and 1 or two of the freshmen come in ready to play; maybe?

I always thought they would struggle to get to the NCAA this last season, but that was a ******* disaster and unacceptable. Unfortunately, I think we as fans might need to be prepared for a 2020-2021 season that shows progress, but doesn't end in a NCAA bid and Prohm is retained if the youngsters all stay. ...I feel like this type of hope and logic is Deja Vu with McDermott all over again, which really sucks.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I don't believe that CW is a troll, outside of his grotesque appearance, but I'll say that anyone who's been at it this long has to know how easy it is to troll Cyclone fans.

I don't know who this kid is but it worked. 5 pages deep, guessing it hits 11 before it dies off.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
This is going to sound really negative, but why the hell would any transfer come here right now? You only have a precious year or two of college basketball left - what about Iowa State's program right now would make you feel like it's the place to spend that last year or two?

The program is in a damaged state right now.
Big minutes available at a P5 program that will compete against some really good teams.

Now that the bigger programs (and more programs total) are fishing in the transfer waters, the transfer market is going to tougher to maneuver through to land good players. Big minutes are the biggest selling point to go along with an excellent crowd that is very eager to see the team get back on track. Sell being "that guy" that gets ISU back to the top half of the Big 12 and back into the tourney because "that guy" will be BMOC.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
After tomorrow we won't care about Aiken. Once a recruit goes elsewhere ISU fans don't pay attention to them at all. Name a transfer we really wanted last year and without looking tell me if they did well or not.

Well it wasn’t last year but I really wanted Mooney, & he was a versatile glue guy for Tech in the Final Four. Also, we wanted juco Juiston and he did decently well for himself at Oregon. Admittedly, I can’t remember who we went after this past season. Anybody know what kind of year the son of a Laker asst coach had, pretty sure we were after him?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The Cyclone basketball program is down right now. But the nice thing about college basketball is a couple players can make a big difference.

IMO our fanbase is in a damaged state right now! Seems to me we have become the whiny fan base that we typically criticized Hawk & Husker fans of being. A little success hasn't been pretty.

Yes, it’s the ISU fans fault. If only we were happy with failure and a bottom tier Big 12 program. How dare we think we can do better than 20 loss seasons, constant roster turnover and recruiting misses? Damn fans, everything would be just fine if we were cool with a bad basketball program.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
..... Big minutes are the biggest selling point to go along with an excellent crowd that is very eager to see the team get back on track. Sell being "that guy" that gets ISU back to the top half of the Big 12 and back into the tourney because "that guy" will be BMOC.

Yup, and just throw in a few shoe boxes full of tax free cash and all of a sudden we're in KU recruiting territory.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yes, it’s the ISU fans fault. If only we were happy with failure and a bottom tier Big 12 program. How dare we think we can do better than 20 loss seasons, constant roster turnover and recruiting misses? Damn fans, everything would be just fine if we were cool with a bad basketball program.

I never said we should be happy about a 20 loss season. Last year's team was horrible and our coaching staff must get it turned around next year. But the level of whining by a vocal segment of fans serves no purpose. We aren't going to fire Coach Prohm in the next 11 months. People being a little more positive or taking a wait and see approach might even help with recruiting.

I do have issue as some of our fan base who act like the sky is falling when we don't get a recruit. A kid choosing another school is most likely not a failure of our staff, but a kid's priorities putting another school first. Why should it surprise anyone Gomez went to SDSU? I am sure his choosing SDSU was more about that school being a better personal fit than ISU. Recruiting is tough because if you're not first, it doesn't matter.

Even worse, there is a group of fans who seem to take pleasure in Prohm's misses on the recruiting trail or even in our losing games last season, because that would make them a basketball expert and visionary. We have a group of fans who are the equivalent of the kid in backyard football who threatens to take HIS ball home, if he doesn't get his way.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I always thought they would struggle to get to the NCAA this last season, but that was a ******* disaster and unacceptable. Unfortunately, I think we as fans might need to be prepared for a 2020-2021 season that shows progress, but doesn't end in a NCAA bid and Prohm is retained if the youngsters all stay. ...I feel like this type of hope and logic is Deja Vu with McDermott all over again, which really sucks.

Remember that Pollard didn’t fire McDermott after 4 awful years, 3 of the 4 we finished 10th or 11th in conference, and was going to have him back for a 5th season when he literally didn’t have a winning record in any of his prior seasons. Pollard does a lot of things very well but pulling the trigger “early” on his coaches isn’t one of them.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Remember that Pollard didn’t fire McDermott after 4 awful years, 3 of the 4 we finished 10th or 11th in conference, and was going to have him back for a 5th season when he literally didn’t have a winning record in any of his prior seasons. Pollard does a lot of things very well but pulling the trigger “early” on his coaches isn’t one of them.

I have cold sweats thinking about it. I like to think I know when a hoops team will be decent or not, but 2009-2010 was the most disappointed I've ever been as a sports fan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–10_Iowa_State_Cyclones_men's_basketball_team

Reactions: thatguy

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Why would a point guard want to come play at Iowa State? Well pretty sure the last 5 point guards Prohm has coached made it to the NBA. Maybe 4. Players don’t look at it like we do. We live and die every year. Prohm can easily say we lost 4 players to play pro ball and we had a down year. We have a lot of playing time. We have been to the sweet 16 and made the tourney one other year in the past 4.

that’s the sell. It should not be a hard sell. Problem is most of these transfers are
Out east or out west. Not to many Midwest guys that we have a good shot at.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Your reasoning isn't sound at all.
If we don’t land Turner or Aiken we will be lucky to be anywhere near .500. If we had Carton it’s possible we’d convince ourselves the next year would be better, resulting in us keeping Prohm. In reality, Carton is good but he’s not a program changing talent. And if he is, it’ll be one year of relevance and we’ll be back into this. I’m not cheering for us to lose, I just don’t want a prolonged period of this disaster Steve has us in.