Tips for Building a New Home

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
My wife and I are planning to build a new home and are looking for advice to save money on this process. So many new builds in Iowa are going for $200/square foot and that is entirely out of our price range.

We don’t need/want anything fancy at all—-1500-1700 total square footage with 3BR, 2.5BA with 2 car garage, standard cabinets, and a partially finished basement. Any tips, tricks, things to keep in mind to cut costs?

I know the house description is vague, but we are in the beginning stages of this process and want to eliminate things from the get go if it’s going to jack up the price.

Build it yourself, film the progress every day, post the videos to Youtube, develop a Youtube following of 500K or so and Youtube revenue will pay for the house.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wild+wonderful+off+grid

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
There are two things a man has that he never thinks are quite big enough.

One of them is his garage. Do not scrimp on the size of your garage!!!! Relatively cheap space and you will never regret adding the SF if you can.

Yep, garage and man cave(?) could always use a little more size...

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I guess I don't see the reason to build a t 1500 sf 3BR house. There's thousands of those on the market now, for likely less than 200 $/sf. Maybe not, I've been out of real estate for quite a while now!

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I guess I don't see the reason to build a t 1500 sf 3BR house. There's thousands of those on the market now, for likely less than 200 $/sf. Maybe not, I've been out of real estate for quite a while now!

I agree with this. 2 years ago I bought a 1300 sf house 4 br 2 bath for under 200k. Now the basement is going to be finished with another bedroom/bathroom/family room. Everything in total will be less than 250k.

Also, going cheap is not something you want to do on a house. I work in the construction field and I have seen what happens when things are done cheap or corners are cut. Whatever you think you are saving now, get ready to pay double down the road.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

this was exactly my thought. There can't be a shortage of that kind of house right now and the only builders interested in making that size of home are not going to be great quality so probably better to buy existing. If your goal in building a house is to do it as cheap as possible (that's different from having a budget and sticking to it!), you're going to have a bad time.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
My wife and I are planning to build a new home and are looking for advice to save money on this process. So many new builds in Iowa are going for $200/square foot and that is entirely out of our price range.

We don’t need/want anything fancy at all—-1500-1700 total square footage with 3BR, 2.5BA with 2 car garage, standard cabinets, and a partially finished basement. Any tips, tricks, things to keep in mind to cut costs?

I know the house description is vague, but we are in the beginning stages of this process and want to eliminate things from the get go if it’s going to jack up the price.

Build the man shed twice as big as you think you need. 2 things accomplished. Your stuff is not in the garage, and you have room for more stuff. I have seen sooo many garages just packed, they buy a building then they pack it because it was too small, but they have a tidy garage.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Unless you are building on a specific lot that has an appeal to you, building in the country, on the family farm, neat tract of land, etc.....I would just buy an established house.

Reactions: AgClone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Subcontractors have gotten much more expensive. Fifteen years ago I built a 1500SF house - The electrical was $5800, the plumbing was $8000, and the HVAC was $5500. I would imagine you can almost triple those costs now.

Concrete is similar. Everything has gotten expensive, mostly because the building business has boomed for a long time (save the Great Recession years). What I don't get is the multitude of people who don't seem concerned in the least about the costs.....I'm not sure I could afford to build anymore. Hell, the lot will set you back $30-40,000!

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I don't know where you're building but if you're in the eastern half my only advise would be to not buy a Skogman home. I made that mistake and dealt with all sorts of problems for the 6 years I was in it. When the wind blew the blinds would sway, I had a 3 foot snow drift in the attic above my dining room table and watching water run down the light fixture was concerning. I had to fight them for 3 years to balance the HVAC, the house was 20 degrees different from one side to the other on the main floor. The best thing was the 1.5" wide bead of caulk around all of my basement windows that leaked, I was told it was my fault I didn't recaulk them every year. I sold it last summer and couldn't be happier.

These are all things to keep an eye out with every builder.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Subcontractors have gotten much more expensive. Fifteen years ago I built a 1500SF house - The electrical was $5800, the plumbing was $8000, and the HVAC was $5500. I would imagine you can almost triple those costs now.

Concrete is similar. Everything has gotten expensive, mostly because the building business has boomed for a long time (save the Great Recession years). What I don't get is the multitude of people who don't seem concerned in the least about the costs.....I'm not sure I could afford to build anymore. Hell, the lot will set you back $30-40,000!

Lol, I see you’re not in Story County.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Ha, I wish ours had cost that!

CyState85

May 8, 2019
The market is saturated with 3BR, 2.5BA homes but my only non-negotiable is a bigger, flat lot which we’ve already got. Grew up with a big yard and hitting golf balls and baseballs around the yard is something I want for my kids. Could not believe some .25 acre lots are going for $60-80k+.

My original post was about nixing different things, not skimping on quality of the construction. Already ruled out the 3rd stall for the garage, fireplaces, hardwoods, basement kitchenette, and various things like that. We can finish the basement down the road if need be also and tackle the landscaping. What other things quickly add up besides appliances, sub-contracted work, and the landscaping?

We’ve already renovated our first home from top to bottom and we enjoyed the process and learned some things along the way.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
We got into the new build thing and ended up backing out and buying an existing home (built in 95). I’m really glad we did. There is a lot detail work that you just don’t get in new homes.

We found one that met our needs and the previous owners had replaced the furnace, siding, windows and roof all within about 5 years. We ended up spending 20 grand less than the new build for the same square footage and a bigger yard. Our was also already fenced which saves 4 or 5 grand even on a smaller lot.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The market is saturated with 3BR, 2.5BA homes but my only non-negotiable is a bigger, flat lot which we’ve already got. Grew up with a big yard and hitting golf balls and baseballs around the yard is something I want for my kids. Could not believe some .25 acre lots are going for $60-80k+.

My original post was about nixing different things, not skimping on quality of the construction. Already ruled out the 3rd stall for the garage, fireplaces, hardwoods, basement kitchenette, and various things like that. We can finish the basement down the road if need be also and tackle the landscaping. What other things quickly add up besides appliances, sub-contracted work, and the landscaping?

We’ve already renovated our first home from top to bottom and we enjoyed the process and learned some things along the way.

Here is what I see from appraising houses. Things that don't pay for themselves in resales I see.

Solid countertops: as long as you don't go very cheap, the nicer formica countertops will be fine. Unless you have a VERY well put together home, the granite, corian, and even quartz countertops don't return the extra you paid for them.

Cabinets: don't go cheap, but most people don't pay extra money for soft close drawers or full oak cabinets. Get good middle line cabinets that are more timeless. When you go to sell, spend a couple hundred dollars on hardware and people will think you upgraded the cabinets (no joke).

Baths: Have a master bath (a master walk in closet also, people really want them). DO NOT get the stupidest thing everyone always gets and then after a couple years tears it out or when we ask them how often they used it, they say a couple times. That is the king of waste, a jacuzzi or jetted tub. Waste waste waste.

Kitchens and baths are what sell a home on the inside.

Siding: Don't go cheap. If you think you may sell it, find a good quality and grade siding and do some stone or brick work to offset it. It makes it pop. Also spend money on shingles.

Don't finish your whole basement, 1-2 bedrooms and a bath for them will suffice and most want either guest space, office space, or bedrooms for extra kids.

A third garage space may pay for itself, I would make that the last thing I would cut.

Flooring: Avoid true hardwoods, people dont want the upkeep. The current rage is vinyl designer planks. We had vinyl and they laid the plank right on top (with a padding between) so it gives options for what you want later on. Go a neutral carpet, the wall painting (easiest spot to save money to do yourself) is easy to change and people almost always replace carpet when they move in.

A couple things I've seen that do and don't pay for themselves.

Reactions: CyState85

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
6K square foot and above lots in West Des Moines won't go for under $100K (West of Jordan Creek Parkway). Wait 6 months for a recession is my advice

Ours was an acre 6 years ago, I'm sure it'd be six figs now even with no septic and well.

CyState85

May 8, 2019
Probably too early to say but I’m in my mid 30’s, have no interest in moving, and want this to be our forever home. I imagine we will want the 3rd stall for the garage once the kids start driving but getting up in the morning and scraping your windshield never hurt anybody.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Probably too early to say but I’m in my mid 30’s, have no interest in moving, and want this to be our forever home. I imagine we will want the 3rd stall for the garage once the kids start driving but getting up in the morning and scraping your windshield never hurt anybody.

Lawn mowers, bikes, patio stuff, snow blowers; all things that can go in the third. At minimum, I would leave space for a third. Actually leave space for a sun room, etc, just Incase you want to add on. Put in plenty of egress windows. Easier and cheaper while you are doing it.