Gomez

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Maybe just dont post anything instead?

Remember what your mama told you: if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all.
Are we already to this point? I hope not.

Even though I still think we can pretty quickly turn this around, we just had our second bad year in three. The other year had over a month of incriminating dysfunction mitigating what many viewed as one of the more talented teams in the conference being .500. A good season, but not good coaching.

Let’s welcome the discontentment with the reasons why things can improve quickly. I think we’re a good GT away from being on the bubble. If we land a another Bolton type this May, start the Koolaide!

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
1 or 2 solid transfers will not make this a tourney team. They just won't. There is a serious talent problem in the program that a few transfers won't fix. If we jumped in our time machine and picked up D Kane and put him on next years team...still not a tourney team and realistically we have zero shot at the guy of that talent. Best case is Prohm somehow picks up a solid sit and play two-type guy and a solid juco that can help the next coach get started.

In other words, as far as next year...we're ******.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Does D-Jack not count?

JUCO, most people consider them differently, and he committed August 30th, signed in November, then was on campus the next year. Not a comparable situation to an immediately eligible spring transfer.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Remember what your mama told you: if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all.

Positive talking points - There are none here. I didn't say there were and won't try searching for any.
We missed out on another transfer target - Yes.
Should we be excited we were in the last three? - No.

This guy is on your corner. There is nothing positive to talk about. Are you advocating shutting the MBB board down? Honest question.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
...is asinine. To the point you should apologize. We have way more recent program success and stability in football and basketball now than we did even 10-15 years ago, and never mind what the old timers tell me about the dark days of the 80s.

Tell me, I have zero, I mean zero confidence right now in this program under Prohm long term. Right now it's not McD level but I'd be really surprised if we got back to the tournament under him on any time scale. Where am I wrong?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Tell me, I have zero, I mean zero confidence right now in this program under Prohm long term. Right now it's not McD level but I'd be really surprised if we got back to the tournament under him on any time scale. Where am I wrong?

The best proof somebody can do something is having done it.

The 2019 season might have been a disappointment for many for various reasons, and I am not going to try and litigate those disappointments right now.

We were nonetheless a #6 seed and won the Big 12 tournament. If I promised you that for next year, that would be a resounding success.

McDemott never sniffed anything even remotely like that while in Ames.

Where are you wrong -- there. The best evidence we have is that he did it.

I know the path forward right now is murky, especially if you assume Prohm strikes out in spring recruiting, the four incoming freshmen are unready, and nobody else on the roster develops a smidgen, all of which you are probably doing.

But I have seen Prohm do it. I never saw McDermott do it.

I do not know if you and I are that far apart right now. I am bearish, too, but there still might be a path forward. One or two guys can completely change a program.

Prohm is starting to feel like Rhoads -- came into a situation with some talent and did well with it, put together a good team but never got over the hump with it, and then flamed out. I hope I am wrong. I just choose to look at the hopeful paths forward rather than assuming the worst. Like I said, if you hit on one big fish, everything changes.

I think Prohm is going to get next year and then probably the year after with seniors Bolton, Conditt, and Johnson and whatever else he can recruit in the next twelve months. You might not like that, but that feels like Pollard's MO with struggling coaches.

And that team either wins or Prohm needs some cardboard boxes.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
1 or 2 solid transfers will not make this a tourney team. They just won't. There is a serious talent problem in the program that a few transfers won't fix. If we jumped in our time machine and picked up D Kane and put him on next years team...still not a tourney team and realistically we have zero shot at the guy of that talent. Best case is Prohm somehow picks up a solid sit and play two-type guy and a solid juco that can help the next coach get started.

With the open 1 time transfer coming in to effect for 21-22, the program will be gutted. IF Prohm is fired, it's not crazy to think literally everyone decent transfers. The new coach will be starting with a totally blank slate. It's not crazy to think none of the 4 incoming fr will finish their careers at ISU w/o Prohm here. You see kids leave all the time after a coaching change, that's with the current rules, once they are loosened, it'll be even more common. Crazy to think of how many kids are in the portal now and how much that will increase with the new rule.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER

Wait, you realize this is a message board right?

Also, my mom loved telling people when they were wrong and/or stupid.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Wait, you realize this is a message board right?

Also, my mom loved telling people when they were wrong and/or stupid.

And there are approximately 5000 other threads that are bashing the coaches and calling next season a wasted season already. Why bring that crap to another one?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
5 years ago we were Preseason #7. Today, we literally have nothing to sell to recruits. Unreal what he's done to this program.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Prohm is starting to feel like Rhoads -- came into a situation with some talent and did well with it, put together a good team but never got over the hump with it, and then flamed out. I hope I am wrong. I just choose to look at the hopeful paths forward rather than assuming the worst. Like I said, if you hit on one big fish, everything changes.

I think Prohm is going to get next year and then probably the year after with seniors Bolton, Conditt, and Johnson and whatever else he can recruit in the next twelve months. You might not like that, but that feels like Pollard's MO with struggling coaches.

To your first paragraph, that's my comp for Prohm although he's had higher highs. Right now I still have really positive feelings toward him for a lot of good times on the court. I still have the utmost respect for him as a man and I love what he's done with the alumni weekend.

But if you're telling me he gets two more years even if he bombs out in spring recruiting, I'll probably have very bad feelings to him by the end.

I know the path forward right now is murky, especially if you assume Prohm strikes out in spring recruiting, the four incoming freshmen are unready, and nobody else on the roster develops a smidgen, all of which you are probably doing.

Here is what I think needs to happen - we need two all big 12 players and a solid supporting cast to make the NCAA tournament. That's been the formula for every tourney team we've had in the last 10 years, other than the Shayok year. He was the only All Big 12 player.

Right now I'm looking at one maybe all Big 12 player on the roster, and that's Bolton. One solid role player in Solo. Other than that it's question marks everywhere. It would take massive improvement for anybody else on the roster to get up to that level, and it would be a surprise for any of the recruits to get there.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
5 years ago we were Preseason #7. Today, we literally have nothing to sell to recruits. Unreal what he's done to this program.

Well we used to sell unwavering loyal fans that supported the players thru thick and thin but that's not really happening anymore....people are too spoiled.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

This is extreme, kind of irrational, but likely therapeutic!

A player like Kane would make this a tournament team. He would fill nearly every void we have, including intangibles. As would landing 2 solid transfers. This isn’t football. Two starters can change teams.

Adding Turner and the Creighton pg to go with Bolton, Johnson, Young, Conditt, Jackson, and the freshmen is a talented, experienced roster.

Oh, and do you recall who we beat out for Kane?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Well we used to sell unwavering loyal fans that supported the players thru thick and thin but that's not really happening anymore....people are too spoiled.

This stuff drives me crazy. We are just a vocal minority on a message board. We ***** and complain. Despite this, there have still been plenty of butts in seats for games. So let's not act like our complaining about Steve on here has any actual manifestation on the product on the floor or their ability to recruit.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This stuff drives me crazy. We are just a vocal minority on a message board. We ***** and complain. Despite this, there have still been plenty of butts in seats for games. So let's not act like our complaining about Steve on here has any actual manifestation on the product on the floor or their ability to recruit.

You'll have to point out where I said it was people on a message board. It was clear the support has waned. I was offered tickets to the KU game where a couple years ago it would have been $200+

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You'll have to point out where I said it was people on a message board. It was clear the support has waned. I was offered tickets to the KU game where a couple years ago it would have been $200+

But what do you expect? People to still pay $200 to watch us get our ***es kicked?

Given the product on the floor we've had great fan support. Fan support could not be further from the issue.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Check the attendance for the last three years. Probably Top 20-30 in the nation despite going 18-36 in the Big 12 conference. This downturn of this program doesn’t have anything to do with the fans who have continued to show up in numbers and through donations. That is the biggest cop out ********. You blame the fans over the freaking staff...amazing.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

How much would you have paid to go to this year's ISU game?

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
This is extreme, kind of irrational, but likely therapeutic!

A player like Kane would make this a tournament team. He would fill nearly every void we have, including intangibles. As would landing 2 solid transfers. This isn’t football. Two starters can change teams.

Adding Turner and the Creighton pg to go with Bolton, Johnson, Young, Conditt, Jackson, and the freshmen is a talented, experienced roster.

Oh, and do you recall who we beat out for Kane?

There is no Kane! ISU will not get a player like him, maybe I should have been more clear. Adding Kane to next year no matter how many boxes he checks, does not make this a tourney team. I have no idea how good the freshman class is, I hope its great. I doubt it's good enough to make an immediate impact program wide though.

Did you see the team that played after Tyresse got hurt? We only got 9th because we had him half the conference season. Bolton, Young, Conditt, Jackson...all role players on a top half Big 12 conference team...with maybe Bolton being the exception. In other words, adding a Kane would be like keeping a Tyresse...and we all saw what this team is like WITH a Tyresse...not good. We just lost a lottery pick off a bad team. Zero chance next year is successful...doesn't matter who transfers in.

And let's all not forget the conference will be much tougher next year. We stunk in a down year for the conference. Next year our schedule will be much tougher.