***MLB Off season Thread 2019/2020***

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I would be so stoked if that happened. I could see the MLBPA not agreeing to it and don't necessarily disagree with them, but dang I need some Cubs baseball to watch

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Two major sports I could see resuming before other sports, because of the size of the playing field and game design, would be baseball and golf. Without fans of course. I would also say soccer, but that sport has contact designed into the game. Baseball has some limited contact, and golf has no contact at all. Golf would be by far the easiest sport to resume on a closed course while following cdc guidelines. I'm surprised they haven't yet. This also could have been bowling's window to join the major sports and have a monopoly on viewership :D.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
IF they have to play day games in Arizona in June/July bet the players would just love that. It's a dry heat though.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Two major sports I could see resuming before other sports, because of the size of the playing field and game design, would be baseball and golf. Without fans of course. I would also say soccer, but that sport has contact designed into the game. Baseball has some limited contact, and golf has no contact at all. Golf would be by far the easiest sport to resume on a closed course while following cdc guidelines. I'm surprised they haven't yet. This also could have been bowling's window to join the major sports and have a monopoly on viewership :D.

That's a really good point on bowling, could easily be done. Have players bowl several lanes apart. Huge gambling market ready to bet on anything now. Somebody get Chris Paul on this now!

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
MLB considering radical realignment for 2020 season: Grapefruit and Cactus leagues

Major League Baseball, assessing a myriad of proposals, has discussed a radical plan that would eliminate the traditional American and National Leagues for 2020, a high-ranking official told USA TODAY Sports, and realign all six divisions for an abbreviated season.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because the proposal is one of several being discussed.

The plan would have all 30 teams returning to their spring-training sites in Florida and Arizona, playing regular-season games only in those two states and without fans in an effort to reduce travel and minimize risks in the midst of the COVD-19 pandemic.

The divisions would be realigned based on the geography of their spring-training homes.

Here's a look at one realignment structure:

GRAPEFRUIT LEAGUE

• NORTH: New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies, Toronto Blue Jays, Detroit Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates.
  • SOUTH: Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Twins, Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays, Baltimore Orioles.
  • EAST: Washington Nationals, Houston Astros, New York Mets, St. Louis Cardinals, Miami Marlins.

CACTUS LEAGUE

• NORTHEAST: Chicago Cubs, San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks, Colorado Rockies, Oakland A’s.
  • WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers, Chicago White Sox, Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Los Angeles Angels.
  • NORTHWEST: Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Seattle Mariners, Texas Rangers, Kansas City Royals.

Full article:https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...on/5128935002/

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Anyone else also subscribe to MLB TV? I paid my annual membership back in Feb before this all started. I keep getting notices on the app about them showing games, but they don't show up on the TV app, only the phone.

Has anyone been able to watch old games through the TV app?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Anyone else also subscribe to MLB TV? I paid my annual membership back in Feb before this all started. I keep getting notices on the app about them showing games, but they don't show up on the TV app, only the phone.

Haven't checked. Not really interested in watching old games. Been there, saw them etc.

Am a little annoyed at the $99 or so for a season that might not be. On a plus LifeTime isn't charging me monthly club fees, so there is that monthly savings.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Haven't checked. Not really interested in watching old games. Been there, saw them etc.

Am a little annoyed at the $99 or so for a season that might not be. On a plus LifeTime isn't charging me monthly club fees, so there is that monthly savings.

Agreed on not getting my moneys worth. I get the full version which I think is $120 or $140 per season. I'd actually love to watch some old games just to have it. I know they're on MLBs youtube channel, I just wish they would put them on the TV app so I can watch them on the big screen.

As a Cardinals fan, watching Game 6 of the 2011 World Series will always improve my mood :)

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Agreed on not getting my moneys worth. I get the full version which I think is $120 or $140 per season. I'd actually love to watch some old games just to have it. I know they're on MLBs youtube channel, I just wish they would put them on the TV app so I can watch them on the big screen.

As a Cardinals fan, watching Game 6 of the 2011 World Series will always improve my mood :)

I'd probably watch some 1960's World Series between Cards and Yankees. Even that Bob Gibson series as I am ALMOST over that game seven lose. At least Mantle homered. ;)

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016

I subscribe, but haven't tried to watch any of its current content. I will be trying to call in and get some sort of reimbursement, fully knowing it's a long shot.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I subscribe, but haven't tried to watch any of its current content. I will be trying to call in and get some sort of reimbursement, fully knowing it's a long shot.

Agreed. I'm guessing you'll get a line along something like "though live games were not being played, MLB.TV offers our customers many viewing options on all our platforms.

Again, my grievance is they haven't put full length games on the TV app. The only content I can watch on my tv right now is a 10 min "2019 Cardinals Highlights video" and a bunch of 45s clips from spring training games. I don't know why they don't just put up 5-10 games for each team and make them available on the TV app.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Agreed. I'm guessing you'll get a line along something like "though live games were not being played, MLB.TV offers our customers many viewing options on all our platforms.

Again, my grievance is they haven't put full length games on the TV app. The only content I can watch on my tv right now is a 10 min "2019 Cardinals Highlights video" and a bunch of 45s clips from spring training games. I don't know why they don't just put up 5-10 games for each team and make them available on the TV app.

Yeah, I may also try the angle of not fulfilling their contract, but am sure I will be met with a line about extenuating circumstances. But if a pay for a car I expect it to come with 4 wheels, and if it only comes with two I would expect some sort of compensation for those damages (even if there is a supply shortage). Like I said it's a long shot, but like Gretzky says, "you miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Just an FYI, I called in and they gave me a full refund of my subscription, no questions asked. It was a lot easier than I anticipated. If the season gets going again I will resubscribe for hopefully a prorated amount.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Just an FYI, I called in and they gave me a full refund of my subscription, no questions asked. It was a lot easier than I anticipated. If the season gets going again I will resubscribe for hopefully a prorated amount.

Turns out I'm just a giant idiot. All the games from 2018 and 2019 are on the MLB.TV app which includes the Roku app. I just had to go back to those dates from last year to see them. I was currently looking at this years calendar. I'm now watching the 2019 All Star Game.

I was *this* close to cancelling.