Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Maybe posted already, a 5:27 minute video currently on the front page of nytimes.com, that I found to be informative

https://www.nytimes.com/

“How Coronavirus Attacks the Body”

Includes 3-D model of the lungs of a 59-year-old patient who died.

(You might have to click tab that says Video; perhaps search later on above title if not there.)
It looks like much of the NYT coverage on CV is free likely, such as the above.

I believe the article below is probably not, freely accessible if you are over the article limit that is, as it is in the opinion section. But it has a lot of good medical information on effects of low versus high exposure to the virus, and worth clearing your cookies/ history perhaps, if necessary to access.

These Coronavirus Exposures Might Be the Most Dangerous
As with any other poison, viruses are usually deadlier in larger amounts.
By Joshua D. Rabinowitz and Caroline R. Bartman
Dr. Rabinowitz is a professor of chemistry and genomics. Dr. Bartman is a genomic researcher.
April 1, 2020

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/opinion/coronavirus-viral-dose.html

... The importance of viral dose is being overlooked in discussions of the coronavirus. As with any other poison, viruses are usually more dangerous in larger amounts. Small initial exposures tend to lead to mild or asymptomatic infections, while larger doses can be lethal.

From a policy perspective, we need to consider that not all exposures to the coronavirus may be the same. Stepping into an office building that once had someone with the coronavirus in it is not as dangerous as sitting next to that infected person for an hourlong train commute.

This may seem obvious, but many people are not making this distinction. We need to focus more on preventing high-dose infection.

Both small and large amounts of virus can replicate within our cells and cause severe disease in vulnerable individuals such as the immunocompromised. In healthy people, however, immune systems respond as soon as they sense a virus growing inside. Recovery depends on which wins the race: viral spread or immune activation. ...

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Known trails are crowded, rural areas don’t have a lot of medical facilities, search and rescue etc is better off not being deployed.
Even known trails it's still easy to maintain distances from others, I would say shutdown the facilities and buildings, but otherwise there's no harm from people getting a walk/hike in at the moment. The local fire departments aren't at any more risk of being called out for a rescue then any other busy weekend/day.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Even known trails it's still easy to maintain distances from others, I would say shutdown the facilities and buildings, but otherwise there's no harm from people getting a walk/hike in at the moment. The local fire departments aren't at any more risk of being called out for a rescue then any other busy weekend/day.
@simply1 this was why I disagreed. Don’t know that particular park so maybe a particular park has issues but I was disagreeing in a general stance.

If you want to be respectful I can discuss it but I’m not going to respond to someone who is a jackass in the middle of the night when someone doesn’t respond.

Reactions: 06_CY

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
what is that in fran-con terms?
I honestly do not know. Like Reynolds has said, we've taken this in incremental steps, whether I or anyone else agrees with that approach. If one of these regions does end up getting to a 10, do we shut down that region or the entire state? What qualifies as a shut down for Kim and her team?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
More than you ever really needed to know about the toilet paper shortage.

https://marker.medium.com/what-everyones-getting-wrong-about-the-toilet-paper-shortage-c812e1358fe0

The TLDR of it: Nobody is using their commercial toilet paper from their work jobs and it is not a quick or simple switch to produce the other type, requiring different machines and different materials.

If McDonald's can figure out how to sell suppliers' milk and hamburger buns from the drive through window to maintain supply chain efficiency, you'd think these manufacturers could figure out a way to package their commercial products for retail sale.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It looks like much of the NYT coverage on CV is free likely, such as the above.

I believe the article below is probably not, freely accessible if you are over the article limit that is, as it is in the opinion section. But it has a lot of good medical information on effects of low versus high exposure to the virus, and worth clearing your cookies/ history perhaps, if necessary to access.

These Coronavirus Exposures Might Be the Most Dangerous
As with any other poison, viruses are usually deadlier in larger amounts.
By Joshua D. Rabinowitz and Caroline R. Bartman
Dr. Rabinowitz is a professor of chemistry and genomics. Dr. Bartman is a genomic researcher.
April 1, 2020

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/opinion/coronavirus-viral-dose.html
That's a great article and looking back, seems to make a lot of sense.

Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

These drugs have been around a long time. I continue to see articles like this pop up and don't understand why they seem to be surprised by the side effects. I would think they would be well known already. Unless they are having some adverse effect with the virus.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Is anyone else having trouble seeing the embedded tweets or is that just me?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Ever since Governor Reynolds has been giving these press conferences, she's said "We're doing everything necessary to make sure we protect all Iowans and especially Iowans that are most at vulnerable."

If she continues to ramp up restrictions, you're obviously not doing whatever it takes, within obvious reason, to protect all Iowans.

I honestly believe that there are a handful of people in this thread that will not be happy until the National Guard is authorized to shoot on sight anyone caught outdoors.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
These drugs have been around a long time. I continue to see articles like this pop up and don't understand why they seem to be surprised by the side effects. I would think they would be well known already. Unless they are having some adverse effect with the virus.

you answered your own question with your last sentence.

the drug is being used to treat something it wasn’t developed for.

and, again, follow the money

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
No, this is not an SNL video. It's real.

How to make your own face mask without sewing.

Just need cloth and two rubber bands.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Done some take out but it's involved wiping down containers, separating food from original casings, etc. I'm making the dumb decision to believe that it doesn't transmit via food but I've yet to see any reports that it does. Also it's all been cooked food.

With groceries and any mail, I've waited several days before eating and opening, including rinsing anything like fruit or veggies. I need to get clementines or something that include many in one package. Buying 20 apples feels like hoarding. I'd like to get some fruit either way though....I feel like I can eat a ton of fruit without worrying about weight gain.

There should be a thread for what techniques people are using for this kind of stuff. For example when I return home I wash my keys while I wash my hands. I've worn gloves out a few times and thought of just scrubbing and soaking them in a small tub with hot water and detergent, then just air drying.

Damn, I had been feeling good about my family quarantine activity. You just made me feel like I might as well be licking hand rails on the subway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron