***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I absolutely want Gomez. BUT, I do not want him starting at PG. Ideally he’d come off the bench as a poor mans McGee(not as many minutes as him). Fortunately, we are in a position where we have someone capable of playing Point Forward to allow him to play the one. But we still need a Carton or Aiken or maybe another good one we don’t know about yet to actually play PG.

Blah blah blah I know “he isn’t grad transferring to come off the bench”. Well if he’s grad transferring to a P6 school he’s either coming off the bench or that team just isn’t good.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I absolutely want Gomez. BUT, I do not want him starting at PG. Ideally he’d come off the bench as a poor mans McGee(not as many minutes as him).

Loved that Tyrus, more than any player I can remember, made the 50:50 loose balls seem more like 80:20 for ISU. Of course I remember how hot he could get from 3, and that he could come off the bench firing, but the energy he played with on loose balls was exciting.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Loved that Tyrus, more than any player I can remember, made the 50:50 loose balls seem more like 80:20 for ISU. Of course I remember how hot he could get from 3, and that he could come off the bench firing, but the energy he played with on loose balls was exciting.

We’ve had good luck with Jucos. I know we’ve recruited some, but it’s too bad we don’t get any to commit anymore.

Reactions: heitclone

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Well let's see just how "meaningless" the individual box score stat is. I pulled the rating for each of our transfers the last few years the season prior to coming to Iowa State from Sports Reference:

Shayok: 4.8
Jacobson: 4.4
Weiler-Babb: 3.1
Burton: 2.0
Bolton: 1.1
Bowie: 0.7
Gomez: -0.2
Nixon: -1
Buggs: -1.1
Talley: -2.6
Holden: -3.4
Beverly: -3.6

Is it fair to say that this stat does in fact represent a fairly accurate prediction of how they will perform here?

@CyTwins @WhoISthis
Just going off this and having 4 scholarships, I'd be 20/80 on Nixon being a take but I would take a Bowie. Gomez looks like a take.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Just going off this and having 4 scholarships, I'd be 20/80 on Nixon being a take but I would take a Bowie. Gomez looks like a take.

We'd be happier if Nixon was off the bench than a starter. Always a gamble and an unknown. But better if just a roll player.

Reactions: WhoISthis

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee

I agree, Gomez is a take as a role player. Plus he'd be fun as hell to root for when he checks in. We just need CSP to pull a + rating player to get us a chance at a bid next year.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Well let's see just how "meaningless" the individual box score stat is. I pulled the rating for each of our transfers the last few years the season prior to coming to Iowa State from Sports Reference:

Shayok: 4.8
Jacobson: 4.4
Weiler-Babb: 3.1
Burton: 2.0
Bolton: 1.1
Bowie: 0.7
Gomez: -0.2
Nixon: -1
Buggs: -1.1
Talley: -2.6
Holden: -3.4
Beverly: -3.6

Is it fair to say that this stat does in fact represent a fairly accurate prediction of how they will perform here?

@CyTwins @WhoISthis
Lol, I’ll give you an A for effort!

If you think someone was suggesting higher isn’t generally better, I’m sorry you’ve wasted your time.

Talley was 9th on his team, Beverly 8th, Holden 10th etc. THAT’s the concern, not necessarily the actual value. Next you’re going to tell me Haliburton got worse last year because his win share metrics were down!

BTW, I’m not sure what “realism” battle you’re fighting, but most are hoping for something between a Bolton and Nixon player, or Bowie in impact. Although you’re not exactly using BPM well, your “realistic” research does seem to indicate he’s suited for that role.

Reactions: CyTwins

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I absolutely want Gomez. BUT, I do not want him starting at PG. Ideally he’d come off the bench as a poor mans McGee(not as many minutes as him). Fortunately, we are in a position where we have someone capable of playing Point Forward to allow him to play the one. But we still need a Carton or Aiken or maybe another good one we don’t know about yet to actually play PG.

Blah blah blah I know “he isn’t grad transferring to come off the bench”. Well if he’s grad transferring to a P6 school he’s either coming off the bench or that team just isn’t good.

So you don’t want Gomez (an established mid-major star) starting for us but you are prepared to give Johnson a starting role as a point forward we he hasn’t shown any ability to do that at the Sun Belt level.

Johnson Freshmen year 19:39 Asst/To
Johnson Sophomore year 48:50 Asst/TO

He averaged 5.1 pts as a freshmen, 10.3 pts as a sophomore.

Please stop with the point forward conversation. Johnson has not shown any ability to play this role outside of a sound bite from a mid-week presser. Let’s see it live action first. He is a starter out of necessity as this point because he is the only person that can play the 4 and guard pick n roll effectively.

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
Gomez has nearly 300 made 3’s on over 40% shooting. Including 44% with the extended line.

We are going to suck on D next year. Being better on offense is probably our best chance of squeaking into the top 100 in defensive efficiency.

Reactions: WhoISthis

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
So if Bolton and Gomez end up being the best two guards on the roster which one plays the point?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
So you don’t want Gomez (an established mid-major star) starting for us but you are prepared to give Johnson a starting role as a point forward we he hasn’t shown any ability to do that at the Sun Belt level.

Johnson Freshmen year 19:39 Asst/To
Johnson Sophomore year 48:50 Asst/TO

He averaged 5.1 pts as a freshmen, 10.3 pts as a sophomore.

Please stop with the point forward conversation. Johnson has not shown any ability to play this role outside of a sound bite from a mid-week presser. Let’s see it live action first. He is a starter out of necessity as this point because he is the only person that can play the 4 and guard pick n roll effectively.
biggest fear for me too we are basically hoping Johnson is a great stretch 4 for us with unproven freshman behind, we dont seem to be going after any either

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Minor note that both Mizzou and Marq are still reaching out to a guard with ISU having similar targets. We’ll see if CSP makes the call too.

@jakeweingarten Michigan transfer David DeJulius has heard from Rhode Island, Maryland, Marquette, Missouri and Cincinnati, he told @Stockrisers.

Expect no shortage of suitors. Averaged seven points during his sophomore season.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
biggest fear for me too we are basically hoping Johnson is a great stretch 4 for us with unproven freshman behind, we dont seem to be going after any either
If that’s our biggest fear going into the season, this staff had a great spring!

Although Lewis and Zion’s lack of PT says otherwise, I think we’ll be fine at the 4 with the three posts plus three wings (JJ, Blackwell, and Dubar).

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

tyrus’s catch and shoot threes were a thing of beauty when he got going. Could catch it running away from the basket, turn 180 mid air, fire and there was no doubt it was going in.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Gomez has nearly 300 made 3’s on over 40% shooting. Including 44% with the extended line.

We are going to suck on D next year. Being better on offense is probably our best chance of squeaking into the top 100 in defensive efficiency.
You're 100% right. If you suck at defense make sure you have enough guys who can shoot you out of a dog fight.