Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I think things so far have been a bit wishy washy. I think most people knew enforcement was going to happen because there would be a lot of people who would not listen to her recommendations. I also believe places like malls / bowling alleys are areas where congregating in large crowds happens quite frequently and therefore should've been closed much sooner. Even if those two places were suppose to be closed before, the fact that she had to repeat herself or officially declare they must close proves her wording / message hasn't exactly been clear to everyone.
Again, this matters how exactly?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think things so far have been a bit wishy washy. I think most people knew enforcement was going to happen because there would be a lot of people who would not listen to her recommendations. I also believe places like malls / bowling alleys are areas where congregating in large crowds happens quite frequently and therefore should've been closed much sooner. Even if those two places were suppose to be closed before, the fact that she had to repeat herself or officially declare they must close proves her wording / message hasn't exactly been clear to everyone.
I got the impression that today was more of a look I’m doing something message than actually doing something. If it was an issue for the last week I’m sure we would have heard about it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So do you just not like the fact that she made the claim that "we are doing everything necessary?" That seems rather nit-picky since no one in the world is doing everything they could. That was my point. There are always more extreme measures that could be taken. So, by that logic no one is doing everything necessary. We still aren't.

Ideally she would say something more honest like "we are doing everything we can to slow the spread of the virus while trying to avoid further business shut downs that could have sever negative effects themselves." But, she's a politician and politicians try to make things sound as good as possible, which includes telling half-truths or sometimes flat out lying.

I guess I don't really care what she says in the daily briefings. I care more about what we are doing and as of last night, the model everyone has been using predicted that our healthcare system would not be overrun. So to me, it seemed like we were already on the right track. However, it is just a model, and could still be wrong, because it's been widely wrong in the past.
Yeah I just think in these types of situations it's important to be clear and concise on your messaging. Anything that sounds like a recommendation has grounds to not be taken as seriously. It's not just Iowa having these issues. There are still people in NYC who aren't following these guidelines and because of that, disobeying their social distance mandate has a fine of $1000 instead of $500.

She gave the power to the people, but when there is a large population of people who haven't taken this seriously from the start, it becomes a problem for everyone. This isn't a typical issue mostly due to the fact that so many people could possibly be infected and not know it and therefore infect someone else who could potentially be at risk to be hospitalized or even die.

Reactions: isutrevman

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
There sure is a difference for 11 AM press conferences between Reynolds and Cuomo. Maybe that is the reason to move hers up, because I listen to the one not trying to blow smoke up my butt. Not the one where the governor is afraid to get out ahead of the of the train wreck.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I got the impression that today was more of a look I’m doing something message than actually doing something. If it was an issue for the last week I’m sure we would have heard about it.
I didn't necessarily hear of any bowling alleys, however last week there were still photos floating around of filled mall parking lots.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I didn't necessarily hear of any bowling alleys, however last week there were still photos floating around of filled mall parking lots.
I didn’t see any but the little I heard was complaints of anchor store still being open like Scheels. I drove by Valley West a couple of times last week and it was empty. We drove by Merle Hay this weekend and it was empty.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I didn’t see any but the little I heard was complaints of anchor store still being open like Scheels. I drove by Valley West a couple of times last week and it was empty. We drove by Merle Hay this weekend and it was empty.
That's good. This could also be more for strip malls or stores that don't technically qualify as being a "mall". Idk, the fact that she had to restate it means there were obviously some places out there that were still open to some extent.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Are you aware if those tested positive were counted in today's numbers or if they'll be totaled for tomorrow's numbers?
I don't know for sure, but the muscatine county numbers have jumped a lot in the past few days.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Not trying be dumb but, whey set a date a couple weeks out? If we're going to do it, do it now
I’d agree; it’d just be to give people who still haven’t prepared a chance to do so. And to reduce the amount of ‘essential’ businesses to what’s actually essential for 2 weeks.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Places that attract crowds were still allowed to be open and that's not a good thing..
I’m beginning to think (hope) the debate isn’t as much political as it is one group thinking everything possible should be done to limit each individual’s potential exposure vs another group that wants to take a more pragmatic approach.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I took it to mean that when they actually talked our rules are in line with what states should do. When he said he didn’t know why states don’t have a SIP he didn’t know what the actual rules were here.
So did Fauci come out and say IA was doing everything right or did Reynolds say he said that?

Reactions: ClonesFTW

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I’m beginning to think (hope) the debate isn’t as much political as it is one group thinking everything possible should be done to limit each individual’s potential exposure vs another group that wants to take a more pragmatic approach.
Agree it’s probably more of an up down (authoritarian vs libertarian) question than a left right. It’s more an issue of what people value in their life. Some want to make sure they are safe and are willing to give up control while others are more comfortable with the risk as long as they still retain their choices.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Nice strawman!

Clearly competent preparation, starting years ago, particularly in 2017, but extremely heightened in December is the real answer. I put most of that failure at the federal jurisdiction, but states aren’t without some cutting of corners to appease their favorite constituents.

1.) do basically nothing
2.)slowly dipping our toes in/taking 5 seconds to rip the band aid
3.) swift, drastic actions to minimize the total disruption while buying time to recover from the past federal failures
4.) do everything possible

Between those 4 options, I don’t think many would start with 4.), I believe we have too much of 2.) rather than 3.). We’re going to end up with a lot of economic pain without really doing much imo.

It may not be popular (lacks humanity), but I’d actually lean towards 1.) before 4.) or even 2.) if we knew more about the actual mortality rate and long term impacts (reoccurrence, lasting damage).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron