Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yep, me saying my opinion of the response is not influenced by politics is not the same as "her response has nothing to do with politics". Nice try though.
I actually agree with this. This is obviously a political issue, so it's hard to completely keep politics out of this, but you can disagree with the Governor without making it about politics. I can be a republican and not like how she's handling this situation.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You came in here crying about politics when all that was being discussed was reynolds's response, indicating you don't think it is ok for that to be a topic of discussion. It isnt that hard to see your intent.

Fine, forget what is and isn't politics. Can we have a moratorium on the SIP debate then? I do not believe there is an argument to be made on either side of the issue that has not been made at least a dozen times already in this thread.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Are you saying you believe bowling alleys, malls, and adult sex shops should not have been shut down sooner than today?
Malls have been shut down. I though bowling alleys were too. The other frankly I don’t think is a big deal as there never appears to be anyone there.

People are acting like there weren’t a majority of the things listed today that weren’t already **** down.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Thank you, and how many millions of other Americans are in the same boat? My mom has COPD and is 79 years old, she gets it, she would not survive either.

I just cannot figure out why people cannot just stay at home, and why the government is not doing more.

Follow the money. And where loyalties lie. And where they get their information.

It will all become clearer

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Are you saying you believe bowling alleys, malls, and adult sex shops should not have been shut down sooner than today?
I guess I’m asking why you think it would’ve made a difference up to this point. If you’re saying not taking these measures one or two weeks ago is going to lead to patients being denied necessary care you’re certainly entitled to that viewpoint.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
The CDC has been a disaster during this entire epidemic. Their whole reason for existence is to help prevent disease outbreaks like this, and, if they do occur, help mitigate the damage and keep the public informed on safety precautions to take. First, they screwed up testing early on by claiming they had it covered when it turned out their tests were faulty and they only had a fraction of what was actually needed. Then they spent weeks informing the public that no one needed to wear masks because they did nothing to prevent you from getting the virus. Now they have done a 180 and are telling people to wear masks whenever you are out in public. States are actually REQUIRING people to wear masks now. Either they were lying about the effectiveness of masks the whole time (likely) or they were ignorant of it. The CDC has probably done more damage their reputation than anyone throughout this whole crises. Telling people not to wear masks has to be one of the biggest blunders we've ever had from a government agency. Every doctor and nurse in the country knows how important masks are to prevent the spread of disease, yet the CDC had no idea?

Their models could still be accurate, but my god they've lose a lot of credibility.

There is a reason for this

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
For the record, it would not be that hard to have a "No Politics" thread about Coronavirus. It would look like this thread did at the beginning-- an update on numbers, data, available programs, etc.
I think having arguments with one another is good for both sides. I know that I have learned a lot from listening to other people's views. As long as we're not attacking one another by name calling or degrading one another based on their beliefs of this issue / political affiliation, I think it's okay. That's obviously not my call whatsoever though.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I actually agree with this. This is obviously a political issue, so it's hard to completely keep politics out of this, but you can disagree with the Governor without making it about politics. I can be a republican and not like how she's handling this situation.

I just don't agree with this. There is a thread about this topic where politics are fair game. This isn't that thread.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I mean, what he could say is a week ago when he was talking about states without SIP as if they were all operating business as usual, he clearly was not counting Iowa, because at that very moment one could go online and compare what was actually mandated closed, enforced and suggested in Iowa vs. NY, the Epicenter of US-COVID-19, and see there was and is almost zero difference.

I love Fauci, but the fact that he's an expert in his field doesn't make him like some all-seeing eye that knows everything about every place like you want to believe

at Iowa's peak, they are projected to have about 100 more ICU beds than they will need. It was like 150 people in Iowa will be needing ICU beds at that point. It could get worse than that. Maybe a little, but no where close to worse case scenario. Not exactly New York or New Orleans. Not even close. People getting worked up over whether or not she issues a shelter in place are are just giving themselves added stress. Especially when people are still going out/working in the shut down states. Shut downs won't make a difference unless they literally lock people in their homes. They aren't doing that so who cares? Is it because we don't want idiots on twitter or Fox or CNN pointing out that Iowa isn't "officially" shut down with some words?

Reactions: SpokaneCY

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Yep, me saying my opinion of the response is not influenced by politics is not the same as "her response has nothing to do with politics". Nice try though.
tenor.gif

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

i agree with your statement.

The general politics portion isn’t the issue, it’s the heavily biased partisan hammering and name calling that hurts the thread and won’t be tolerated. We all know what that looks like and should take care to be respectful.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I guess I’m asking why you think it would’ve made a difference up to this point. If you’re saying not taking these measures one or two weeks ago is going to lead to patients being denied necessary care you’re certainly entitled to that viewpoint.
I think things so far have been a bit wishy washy. I think most people knew enforcement was going to happen because there would be a lot of people who would not listen to her recommendations. I also believe places like malls / bowling alleys are areas where congregating in large crowds happens quite frequently and therefore should've been closed much sooner. Even if those two places were suppose to be closed before, the fact that she had to repeat herself or officially declare they must close proves her wording / message hasn't exactly been clear to everyone.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Malls have been shut down. I though bowling alleys were too. The other frankly I don’t think is a big deal as there never appears to be anyone there.

People are acting like there weren’t a majority of the things listed today that weren’t already **** down.
I thought they were too! Lol but they either were recommended to close, or didn't listen and she had to say it again.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Ever since Governor Reynolds has been giving these press conferences, she's said "We're doing everything necessary to make sure we protect all Iowans and especially Iowans that are most at vulnerable."

If she continues to ramp up restrictions, you're obviously not doing whatever it takes, within obvious reason, to protect all Iowans.
So do you just not like the fact that she made the claim that "we are doing everything necessary?" That seems rather nit-picky since no one in the world is doing everything they could. That was my point. There are always more extreme measures that could be taken. So, by that logic no one is doing everything necessary. We still aren't.

Ideally she would say something more honest like "we are doing everything we can to slow the spread of the virus while trying to avoid further business shut downs that could have sever negative effects themselves." But, she's a politician and politicians try to make things sound as good as possible, which includes telling half-truths or sometimes flat out lying.

I guess I don't really care what she says in the daily briefings. I care more about what we are doing and as of last night, the model everyone has been using predicted that our healthcare system would not be overrun. So to me, it seemed like we were already on the right track. However, it is just a model, and could still be wrong, because it's been widely wrong in the past.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
at Iowa's peak, they are projected to have about 100 more ICU beds than they will need. It was like 150 people in Iowa will be needing ICU beds at that point. It could get worse than that. Maybe a little, but no where close to worse case scenario. Not exactly New York or New Orleans. Not even close. People getting worked up over whether or not she issues a shelter in place are are just giving themselves added stress. Especially when people are still going out/working in the shut down states. Shut downs won't make a difference unless they literally lock people in their homes. They aren't doing that so who cares? Is it because we don't want idiots on twitter or Fox or CNN pointing out that Iowa isn't "officially" shut down with some words?

Exactly. We have a Governor who is ordering people to stay at home, but refuses to issue a stay at home order. Who cares how ridiculous this looks, or how difficult it is for the average Iowan to understand?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’m about to go myself. Wearing the balaklava I wear skiing. Better than nothing I guess.
I did that Saturday night, put some extra cloth over my mouth and nose with thicker weave to try to help. Sweat a lot though so people probably thought I was sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.