Caleb Grill Transferring

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I had hope for grill but he looked really
Outmatched in the big 12. Hope he can develop. Think he would be a fantastic wife out in football.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I had hope for grill but he looked really
Outmatched in the big 12. Hope he can develop. Think he would be a fantastic wife out in football.
He was a true freshman on a bad team. He definitely showed more promise at the end of the year but then also got hurt.
I think he'll be a good player there.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I agree with you. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the ref make him leave the game? You could tell from tv that he was dazed. Weren't we done around 10? Why did they put him back in with around a minute left? I am sure my memory is a little off, but I was shocked the staff didn't take him out and that they put him back in when the game was essentially over. Just seemed odd to me and I am not a Steve hater. I just thought common sense said leave him on the bench.

I realize this is a thread about Grill and wish the best of luck to him. He's the one transfer that surprised me because I thought he showed a lot of improvement at the end of the season to be a really solid rotation guy next season and potentially be a Matt Thomas type of player his last 2 years if he continued to improve.

Regarding Bolton... that whole game was messed up. I moved down from my 11th row corner balcony seats to a row behind someone I know that sits right across from the aisle Pollard and we all heard a loud thud when Bolton's head hit the floor. He looked dazed and confused when he stood up so not sure how he got cleared to re-enter the game. It was also painfully obvious that Jacobson was playing on 1 leg during the 2nd half. I admire the him for wanting to gut out the pain on senior night but he should have been on the bench to avoid further injury. I've been a defender of Prohm over the years but those 2 decisions to play hurt players shocked me because even had we won that game all we would have to show for it was a win on senior night to cap off a disappointing season that would not end in postseason play.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Chances are he will transfer there only to see TJ leave after a year.
When tj becomes isu head coach? Just kidding. That would be funny though.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That was my thought when I saw this. Why would he transfer out there when he can just wait until next year and have him as coach here.
I honestly think the next coach could be TJ if Prohm gets fired.. If or when that happens is tbd, but it'd be quite ironic if Grill were still in college during that time.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
That was my thought when I saw this. Why would he transfer out there when he can just wait until next year and have him as coach here.
In my mind it was unlv or Nebraska all the way.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
TJ is currently in Australia and Caleb committed to him when he was at SDS.
Yes...I get that. Close connection. And there are phones. All times.
My point to previous poster was other than Colorado State, Wichita St, Creighton, UnLv, I saw no mention of Nebr.
He was destined for UNLV. And will do well, imo

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Nebraska?? Any info or just cuz...? Bet $$ TJ had his hooks in this for a long time.
No but my understanding was his affinity for isu started when Fred was coaching.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Caleb is obviously comfortable with Otz. Wish he were still here because I think he's a great kid and will be a good player.
Wish him nothing but the best.

Yeah I would have liked to have seen what he turned into as a career. He looked more comfortable the last part of the season.

Oh well...basketball is a long ways off for priorities right now.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yeah I would have liked to have seen what he turned into as a career. He looked more comfortable the last part of the season.

Oh well...basketball is a long ways off for priorities right now.
Yeah this isn't a quasi bitter one to me like Hamilton, Wes Johnson, this is a dang, I really liked that kid.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I like that so many people love Caleb because he seems like he has a High basketball IQ, is a total gym rat, hard nose competitor, understands the nuances of the game, and is probably a coaches kid!

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah this isn't a quasi bitter one to me like Hamilton, Wes Johnson, this is a dang, I really liked that kid.

It would be a heck of a coup if Grill turns out to be a better player than even Hamilton (who started 21 NBA games) and never mind an eventual fourth overall pick.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I honestly think the next coach could be TJ if Prohm gets fired.. If or when that happens is tbd, but it'd be quite ironic if Grill were still in college during that time.

Yeah, if he has a good season next yer, he certainly would fit the mold of what we'd look for (and it appears TJ is still well connected with JP and others).

That would actually be really wild to see what Grill would do if that happened.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, if he has a good season next yer, he certainly would fit the mold of what we'd look for (and it appears TJ is still well connected with JP and others).

That would actually be really wild to see what Grill would do if that happened.

Alison Lacey Otzelberger just did a podcast with CW in her free time. I know that is CW and not Pollard, but it is not like that family has forgotten Ames.

I remember CW saying at one point on a podcast that if the job opened up, for whatever reason, then TJ would be an immediate front-runner for the position.

I remember it mostly because CW said he would have an ethical conundrum at that point about if he could even cover his friend fairly as a journalist.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Alison Lacey Otzelberger just did a podcast with CW in her free time. I know that is CW and not Pollard, but it is not like that family has forgotten Ames.

I remember CW saying at one point on a podcast that if the job opened up, for whatever reason, then TJ would be an immediate front-runner for the position.

I remember it mostly because CW said he would have an ethical conundrum at that point about if he could even cover his friend fairly as a journalist.

Thanks for sharing that.....I remember hearing CW went to Vegas and such and knows they are pals. And yes, definitely that would create some interesting tense points potentially if things didn't go as planned. There is always the weird dance between "coverage" for local media and "buddying up" feeling (which seems to continue to blur as there are various media outlets that all blend (radio, tv, web, newspaper) as they all cross pollinate.

I've heard a lot of the DM media dog on Niko Medvid and talk about what they'd say to him if they saw him, etc...but then don't mention anything to Ali Farokmanesh (sp?) as he was making the rounds last week, etc.

Help Support Us

Become a patron