Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Just google hydroxychloroquine production

here are two local news stories from California and Michigan about results and how doctors are using it.

https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-drug-covid-19-malaria-hydroxychloroquine/6079864/

https://wwmt.com/news/local/michiga...tment-but-say-more-clinical-trials-are-needed

it seems to be working. At least according to doctors on the front lines. I don't think we can afford to wait several months for the trial data. But that's just me.

There is anecdotal evidence that indicates it doesn't work, but I'm fine with giving this stuff to people who are in grave danger. Just so long as people who are perfectly healthy aren't taking it thinking that it could possibly prevent them from contracting this virus. That would harm folks with other conditions who rely on that medicine...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm trying to figure out why some are saying that "a vaccine is coming quickly" statement was a lie. What is the timeline for a vaccine to be arriving "quickly"?

I think the question is what you mean by "arriving". I imagine a potential vaccine is imminent. However, I think to do proper testing before you start applying it to the masses is where you see the 12-18 months.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's to stop you from infecting others if you have it and don't know it. So wearing the mask is not for your protection but everyone else's. That's why they are saying cloth masks like bandanas and whatnot are effective for this.

I ordered a couple of neck gaiters/buffs that I can fold up and create an extra layer. Easier to put on than a bandanna/cloth and also washable.

Wish this directive would have been out there earlier. You could find an old Tshirt or pillow case and make a 'mask'.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Debated linking this since it's overkill for 99% of us, but decided to now since a few posters have mentioned immunocompromised family members. FWIW, this is the same guy who told me about the woman he saw grocery shopping with gloves and a mask I posted about on Wednesday or Thursday.

Reactions: isutrevman

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
But couldn't 18 months or 2 years be considered quick?

The messenger in question said we only had 15 cases and soon we'd have zero, but yeah I'm sure he meant we'd have a vaccine in two years when he said we'd have it very quickly.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I ordered a couple of neck gaiters/buffs that I can fold up and create an extra layer. Easier to put on than a bandanna/cloth and also washable.

Wish this directive would have been out there earlier. You could find an old Tshirt or pillow case and make a 'mask'.
Except most teeshirts are made from fabric that's at least slightly stretchy, thus the comfort factor. The "give" doesn't keep a firm shape in place and will tend to fall or drag down.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
It's to stop you from infecting others if you have it and don't know it. So wearing the mask is not for your protection but everyone else's. That's why they are saying cloth masks like bandanas and whatnot are effective for this.

That’s what I figured.

Don’t need to go out for anything for at least a week, so should be time to find or make a mask

CompCy

Apr 7, 2006
Ames

Should we wear our balaclavas when we go to do our banking? Or is that still frowned upon?

Reactions: CascadeClone

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
The messenger in question said we only had 15 cases and soon we'd have zero, but yeah I'm sure he meant we'd have a vaccine in two years when he said we'd have it very quickly.
Thanks for the clarification. I was confused by your statements previously.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I'm trying to figure out why some are saying that "a vaccine is coming quickly" statement was a lie. What is the timeline for a vaccine to be arriving "quickly"?

Where has it been stated by anyone that a vaccine is coming quickly? I don't think I've seen anything that indicated something could be ready with any accurate indication of "when".

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm still somewhat confused over the change in recommendation on masks. They started by saying they can't protect you, but now that protection is better than nothing. But it sounds like they think it'll be extra protection for the asymptomatic carriers.

I'll probably wear one next time I go to the grocery store. I've been washing my hands before and after getting groceries; sounds like they recommend washing cloth masks after you go out.
I think a big part of wearing a mask is it reminds you to not touch your face. Most experts still think the vast majority of virus transmissions are from someone getting the virus on their hand, then touching their eyes nose or mouth. Here is what I think people should do for going to the store:

1. Wear a mask and gloves into the store.
2. When you get back into your car, take the mask off with the gloves still on, then take the gloves off before touching the steering wheel or anything else in the car. Assume the mask and gloves are now infected. You could wear the mask all the way home if you wanted.
3. When you get home put the groceries away then wash your hands again since all the groceries could be infected.
4. Either wash the gloves, or, if you wont be going out again just leave them and the mask in your car. After a day they should be pretty safe to touch. After a week they are basicially guaranteed to be safe again.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Should we wear our balaclavas when we go to do our banking? Or is that still frowned upon?

Funny.

The serious answer would be that a lot of banks have closed their lobbies and are operating drive thru only, which A) means no need for a mask, and B) would be much harder to rob.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I'm guessing 80% of the people in LA are wearing masks out on the street or in stores now, probably 50% have been for 3+ weeks now. Asian community has been for years here.

LA is doing better per capita than most large cities, I imagine SF/Seattle has a similar pro-mask culture with their asian community and is doing ok despite being the first places an outbreak occurred. It's hard to imagine masks make it worse.
If somebody is infected, and touches their mask while grocery shopping, then touches anything subsequently, it's not hard to imagine at all. Asian-Americans and Asians in general are much more aware of the proper use of masks compared to your average American Wal Mart shopper. You rarely see them touching their mask, face, etc.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Where has it been stated by anyone that a vaccine is coming quickly? I don't think I've seen anything that indicated something could be ready with any accurate indication of "when".

I thought HFCS was saying the a vaccine was coming quickly statement was a lie. I found it difficult to say it was a lie when the word "quickly" has no definitive timeframe. I'm not sure who even said the initial statement.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Funny.

The serious answer would be that a lot of banks have closed their lobbies and are operating drive thru only, which A) means no need for a mask, and B) would be much harder to rob.

correct. Access to the lobby is by appt only as well.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Right, and that nuance is lost on our culture. It’s the same driver as social distancing was slow to be accepted.

Limiting spread is a public good, falling victim to tragedy of the commons, and not much different than the challenge of getting the country to limit pollution.

There was also the issue of supply shortages meaning that even in March we knew we were ******, and needed to prioritize masks for keeping medical professionals working. That is an egregious failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron