***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
I guess I hold out hope it’s Carton. UNI reached out early and said he wanted to be close to home.

Justin Surrency (@JustinSurrency) Tweeted:
This is going to be unexpected in an otherwise slow sports day. That I know. https://t.co/MWfNgXVgGA

Well it cant be a recruit so thats out. Maybe they got a big home and home series, a tournament invite, or something completely wild like they're moving conferences?

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Well it cant be a recruit so thats out. Maybe they got a big home and home series, a tournament invite, or something completely wild like they're moving conferences?
That would be something. Totally plausible considering the MVC has become a one-bid league.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Its important for everyone to realize, we are in no place to turn away any transfers. If a kid can do one thing well right now, we will take him.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
That would be something. Totally plausible considering the MVC has become a one-bid league.
I'd assume that if that was to happen it would either be the AAC or Big East(how insane would that be) who offered them. Both would still allow UNI to play FCS football and both are at odd numbers for program due to UConn jumping ship. I say it's likely a basketball only move because it's the basketball account that's tweeting it and not the overall account, so I doubt it's a move to the MAC or somewhere like if that's whats happening

ChickenNuggetMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
Not that anyone asked but here’s my thoughts:

• If we don’t get 2 of Carton/Turner/Aiken, and another player of this caliber doesn’t come out of the woodwork, this spring will fail to give us the talent we need.
  • The more I think about Gomez, the more I’m okay with taking him. A poor man’s Tyrus McGee would absolutely fill a need.
  • I feel like we will inevitably end up with Drew Buggs. The jury is out on if he will help or not, but it is always great to have kids that want to play here.
  • The player who ends up filling our wing/SF need probably hasn’t had his name even mentioned yet, which doesn’t bode well.
  • For better or worse, this pandemic most likely means Prohm has an extra year. He absolutely deserves to be let go if the next season is a failure, but he will probably get another season to make his case regardless.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Not that anyone asked but here’s my thoughts:

• If we don’t get 2 of Carton/Turner/Aiken, and another player of this caliber doesn’t come out of the woodwork, this spring will fail to give us the talent we need.
  • The more I think about Gomez, the more I’m okay with taking him. A poor man’s Tyrus McGee would absolutely fill a need.
  • I feel like we will inevitably end up with Drew Buggs. The jury is out on if he will help or not, but it is always great to have kids that want to play here.
  • The player who ends up filling our wing/SF need probably hasn’t had his name even mentioned yet, which doesn’t bode well.
  • For better or worse, this pandemic most likely means Prohm has an extra year. He absolutely deserves to be let go if the next season is a failure, but he will probably get another season to make his case regardless.

I'd sign up for Buggs and Turner right now. Turner of course being the big fish. If that happens I'd expect a trip to the NCAA tournament.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
I'd sign up for Buggs and Turner right now. Turner of course being the big fish. If that happens I'd expect a trip to the NCAA tournament.
Respectfully, I like both guys and agree the odds are they end up here. That said, the starting guard court coming from CSU Northridge and Hawaii is not going to get you in the upper half of the Big 12 IMO. We need to upgrade talent and size to win against TTU, KU, UT and Baylor.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Respectfully, I like both guys and agree the odds are they end up here. That said, the starting guard court coming from CSU Northridge and Hawaii is not going to get you in the upper half of the Big 12 IMO. We need to upgrade talent and size to win against TTU, KU, UT and Baylor.
Baylor just had a historic year with two of their top guys being a D3 transfer and a guy from UNC Asheville! TT recently had great success with a South Dakota transfer.

If we land Turner, We can handle having a starter being from the WAC and a bench guy from a low major. Coaching at the level of a Drew or Beard would be the biggest concern

Reactions: BallSoHard4Cy

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
He said turner not gomez. If the backcourt is Buggs and Gomez we'd be lucky to win 10 games.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Gomez just followed Solomon Young and Javan Johnson on Twitter. Probably a good sign.

So is the consensus Gomez comes in as an interesting piece to come off the bench? 5'8 non PG would give us the same shortcomings we faced this pass season perhaps even more so. But a spark plug off the bench can come in multiple sizes.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
So is the consensus Gomez comes in as an interesting piece to come off the bench? 5'8 non PG would give us the same shortcomings we faced this pass season perhaps even more so. But a spark plug off the bench can come in multiple sizes.
He doesn't fix the main issues that plagued us, but if we are able to land some other guys, he could be a real weapon. With 4 open scholarships, I think it's a no-brainer.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Uh......we have 4 openings. Pretty sure we wanted Ellis for 2 years even with Turner. Maybe you’re right, but at this point wouldn’t think Prohm can afford to turn anyone away waiting on another’s decision.
It was a known thing they were probably not willing to come play together. It was either one or the other.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Imagine not being happy about getting a grad transfer guard that Gonzaga wanted in our current situation. Geez

Coming off a terrible season, Shayok lead quite a year over year improvement. Not sure anyone quite saw that coming. It only takes one player sometimes and we have 4 spots to fill. Who knows how next year will turn out.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Coming off a terrible season, Shayok lead quite a year over year improvement. Not sure anyone quite saw that coming. It only takes one player sometimes and we have 4 spots to fill. Who knows how next year will turn out.
Shayok had a terrible season in his final year at UVa, a good ACC program?

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Shayok had a terrible season in his final year at UVa, a good ACC program?

No, ISU had a terrible year in 17/18. Deep last. Maybe everyone else knew 18/19 was going to be a good year, but I was worried we wouldn't be better than 7th with a returning bad team, some freshmen, and a player from uva that didn't score more than 10ppg.

Reactions: WhoISthis