Led Zeppelin

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Walter Becker died on September 3, 2017.

Steely Dan went on tour following the release of their debut album, "Can't Buy a Thrill". The band toured for three years before Becker and Walter Fagan decided they hated hated their live sound.

After seeing them in Moline last summer, their live sound is spectacular.

I guess that joke missed.

Becker and Fagan (and Becker especially) hated touring.

They did have something like a band early on, but I have always fundamentally seen them as two songwriters in the studio working with a talented but rotating supporting cast. I would imagine they probably saw themselves like that more, too.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I don’t hate them, I just don’t get into them as much as the other classic rock greats. They don’t have as much blues or country weaved into their sound, and all my favorite rock bands have a little blues, country, or both pretty prominent in their sounds.

Very little...but dig Seamus (that's the dog...)

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I guess that joke missed.

Becker and Fagan (and Becker especially) hated touring.

They did have something like a band early on, but I have always fundamentally seen them as two songwriters in the studio working with a talented but rotating supporting cast. I would imagine they probably saw themselves like that more, too.

Check out my man Jeff "Skunk" Baxter on guitar!

Reactions: Macloney

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Prince definitely killed it. He was amazing at everything he did musically. I was never a huge fan of his music, but it was obvious to me his skills were off the charts.

PragerForce

Feb 23, 2020
Haha, ya Vai is great but his composition is average. Being that I'm a musician myself I suppose it's all going to vary greatly. When I think of greatest band of all time though, I think instrument talent is pretty huge. If Pink Floyd didn't have the the worst drummer of all time, yes worse than Ringo, then I'd say they meet that perfectly. Talented with their instruments, have the hits, great composition, longevity, notoriety, etc.
Charlie Watts is way worse than Ringo. Even on studio final cuts he's off beat. He can't hit time his snare with his high hat. Maybe its intentional? Not sure why. He sounds worse than any average drummer I see at bars. And being a drummer, I've seen some pretty mediocre drummers. Ringo is far from the greatest, but I think he gets a bum rap because he is in a band with 3 legends. Listen to his work on Strawberry Fields, I Am the Walrus or A day in the Life. Hardly poor. Beatles didnt have complicated drum parts. And in the early 60's to late 60's many bands didn't. Unless they were trying to be prog or acid rock (Iron Butterfly like) as an example. Ringo was steady if not underrated imho

Last edited:

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Check out my man Jeff "Skunk" Baxter on guitar!

I'm not sure what you see as special in Baxter's performance here other than he's one of many great musicians on stage. Also, I believe the original recording of this song was Elliott Randall and not either of the guitarists here.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Early Fleetwood Mac was pretty good, with Peter Green on guitar.

Green, John McVie on bass, and Mick Fleetwood had all played with John Mayall’s Blues Breakers. Fleetwood was only with the group a few weeks, after Mayall kicked him out for being drunk at a live show. McVie is second from the right in this John Mayall album cover, from earlier in this thread:

Led Zeppelin

This BBC video has the Peter Green story.

Black Magic Woman was written by Green.

Some nice jamming in this live version towards the end.

Three songs from a live performance in Paris on New Years Eve in 1968.

The third song in the above video, Dust My Broom, was originally by the blues artist Elmore James. James was the biggest influence on founding Rolling Stones member Brian Jones, seen in this video on slide guitar, from earlier in this thread:

Led Zeppelin

Below is from the brief time that Green, McVie, and Fleetwood were all part of the Blues Breakers.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah, never understood the cultural obsession with the Buckingham/Nicks era compared to the era Peter Green stuff. Early Fleetwood Mac was so good.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I'm not sure what you see as special in Baxter's performance here other than he's one of many great musicians on stage. Also, I believe the original recording of this song was Elliott Randall and not either of the guitarists here.
Uhhhh, his cool nickname...? Congratulations on your advances Steely Dan degree, professor.