Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Why can't the churches just have their services outside at the church? Tune up a radio station like those people do that put out musical Christmas lights displays, and have everyone listen from their cars.

If they're worried about donations, just tuck their money in their windows for someone to come around and collect.

I'd say I'm shocked by the sheer stupidity in all of this, but really I'm not.

Surprised they would refuse to go to online services like Iowa churches have. And the money isn't like giving a restaurant your business; if someone is dedicated to donating to their church, they'll find a way to get the money there.

Churches in Iowa seem to have adapted well to the new rules.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
The stay at home order argument is silly. I have many friends and relatives in states with stay at home orders. A lot of stuff is still open in those states. People are still going out. There are more essential places that need to stay open than just grocery stores and gas stations. The only way a stay at home order actually works is if the cops and military strictly enforce it. I don't mean give out citations type enforcement either. More like what China is doing. I don't think anybody wants that. At least they shouldn't.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Surprised they would refuse to go to online services like Iowa churches have. And the money isn't like giving a restaurant your business; if someone is dedicated to donating to their church, they'll find a way to get the money there.

Churches in Iowa seem to have adapted well to the new rules.

Yeah that would make sense...I agree on the money part, but in case it's someone that doesn't 'trust that damn webnet' it would be a solution.

If enough people keep going to church, it's really not that different than the stupidity of spring breakers.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Calm down, man.

I live in a state with a stay at home order and I can assure you that we have a lot more open than grocery stores and gas stations. Iowa chose their leaders and I won't say anything else about that because it would get political.

Many people need cars to survive. Transportation is necessary, how hard is this for you? You choose not to listen or use the facts that I have provided, that is on you. It has nothing to do with a horse sale.

I get the idea that many people need and use cars, but please explain why they need to buy a new car now? I never said close the service area, but why are the show rooms still open?
You still have not explained that, no one is doubting we need a vehicle to drive, why go down that bunny trial?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
The stay at home order argument is silly. I have many friends and relatives in states with stay at home orders. A lot of stuff is still open in those states. People are still going out. There are more essential places that need to stay open than just grocery stores and gas stations. The only way a stay at home order actually works is if the cops and military strictly enforce it. I don't mean give out citations type enforcement either. More like what China is doing. I don't think anybody wants that. At least they shouldn't.

If the SIP order is insignificant, which it probably is, then why not just put it in place so Iowa doesn't look like a stupid hick place.... and so you don't get ridiculed all over the state and country like you are?

She's now getting made fun of nationally for saying Fauci basically doesn't get it.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I can't believe there are still people here defending Reynolds but the "it's just the flu" crowd seems to move on to a new argument every few days, so here we are.

It defies all common sense that Reynolds would allow herself to stand in opposition to every public health expert in America not on her payroll if there is truly no difference between her current policy and a true SIP. She is holding the line on this for a reason.

It defies all common sense that Reynolds would argue she's essentially already got an SIP by a different name, meanwhile her own department of public health has established criteria to trigger an SIP once certain thresholds are met.

Why would you need to develop criteria to trigger a policy you've already got in place?

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
If the SIP order is insignificant, which it probably is, then why not just put it in place so Iowa doesn't look like a stupid hick place.... and so you don't get ridiculed all over the state and country like you are?

She's now getting made fun of nationally for saying Fauci basically doesn't get it.

The national media is full of morons. Don't really care what they think.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I get the idea that many people need and use cars, but please explain why they need to buy a new car now? I never said close the service area, but why are the show rooms still open?
You still have not explained that, no one is doubting we need a vehicle to drive, why go down that bunny trial?

I think I agree that insides of places like dealerships shouldn't be packed with people looking at brand new cars, but I've never seen one of those places packed with people. It's usually one or two people, maybe. Anyone else there is sitting down with a salesman trying to figure out how to avoid getting nickel and dimed.

I also don't know too many people that buy brand new cars...most I know look for certified pre-owned, which are outside in the lot.

Side note is I love how car commercials make it look like dealerships are some sort of fun gathering place, like the world is full of regular people buying brand new cars off the line.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I think we have finally found the event Darwin was waiting for.

Unfortunately, too many of the wrong people will be sacrificed.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I can't believe there are still people here defending Reynolds but the "it's just the flu" crowd seems to move on to a new argument every few days, so here we are.

Someone on here was wondering about the hype around something like '2500 deaths in a month' yesterday, 6,000 people die each day in the US anyway, how many of those people were old anyway, etc.

Meanwhile almost 3,000 deaths in the US are being reported from the last two days combined from Covid.

That pace will at least sustain over the next two months. So apparently at least 80,000+(barest minimum) dying from this over two months is just fine with some people.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

It defies all common sense that Reynolds would allow herself to stand in opposition to every public health expert in America not on her payroll if there is truly no difference between her current policy and a true SIP. She is holding the line on this for a reason.

It defies all common sense that Reynolds would argue she's essentially already got an SIP by a different name, meanwhile her own department of public health has established criteria to trigger an SIP once certain thresholds are met.

Why would you need to develop criteria to trigger a policy you've already got in place?

Their ever changing arguments are in direct correlation to the sources they use for information.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Here’s what I wish would happen:
Set a date a couple weeks out, say April 20. Stay at home order For 14 days with substantial fines. Healthcare, utilities, gas stations, car repair, farms and food supply, and pharmacies and grocery stores remain open with delivery strongly encouraged, almost nothing else. Maybe a couple other things I’m not thinking of.

Anyone who is not basically prepared right now to be home for 2 weeks is either destitute, severely disabled, or a ******* moron.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Question:
What projections or projections sites do you trust?

I've been watching IHME,LINK, but have a few reservations about their logic and they haven't kept it as up to date as they said they would.

Are there other sites that have good projections as to quantities of beds, ventilators, etc. over the next couple months?

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Set a date a couple weeks out, say April 20. Stay at home order For 14 days with substantial fines. Healthcare, utilities, gas stations, car repair, farms and food supply, and pharmacies and grocery stores remain open with delivery strongly encouraged, almost nothing else. Maybe a couple other things I’m not thinking of.

Anyone who is not basically prepared right now to be home for 2 weeks is either destitute, severely disabled, or a ******* moron.
I’m good for a while still but I’ve already used up a fair amount of the crap I got for the past two weeks. I’m trying o delay going to the store until I have to.
Maybe I misunderstood and you weren’t including groceries.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa

Agreed.

Question for you: how many people don't have an extra refrigerator or freezer that they could store 2+ weeks worth of food?

i know we stocked up a couple weeks ago and go some dirty looks in a suburban Fareway for having a very full grocery cart. I've heard similar from other friends and family. (not the first time for dirty looks). My assumption is that those people go shopping 2/3 times a week and don't have capacity to store more than a few days worth of food. That could also be part of the equation.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny

You’d be surprised at how many businesses fall into the food supply industry/chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.