Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
And what law is there to actually enforce that right now? Saying it doesn’t mean it’s legally enforceable until you enact and actual act deeming it actually illegal.

Iowa Constitution, Art. IV, §§ 1, 8 and Iowa Code §§ 29C.6(1), 135.140(6), and 135.144, for starters...

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
A lot of you sound like my 85 year old mother. The first thing she says when I talk to her is "why don't people just stay at home, they are putting everyone at risk". Then the next 1/2 hour she tells me about her two trips to the grocery store, morning coffee with her friends, etc. that she did this week.

My mother is 96 and still has morning coffee in the complex she live in. The funny thing is she said they put an empty chair between each of them. Apartment living. We put 3 or 4 meals a week on her car front seat. She still cooks and bakes we just do it to create conversation and feel like we are helping. When it gets warm outside we will have to use a cooler. She still drives and picks up her groceries. Took a bouquet of daffodils from our garden one day. Call her 1 to 2 times a day. Everything was good until she told me she went to dollar general to get a sympathy card, because a friend had died. Now I am worried sick. Challenging times.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Economies recover. Dead bodies don't. The economic crash and unemployment is already happening, that boat has sailed with no obvious end in sight. Is there some masterful non-medical, pure-ecnomics strong play I'm missing here?

How many dead bodies would you predict to come from an unemployment rate of 20% +? I’m talking suicides, OD’s, loss of medical care, etc.

Reactions: bos

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
To fix salvaged vehicles? It took 3 weeks to get a $3000 dent out of my car, how long will it take to fix a totaled car that you won't be able to insure when everyone has to get their car fixed instead of replaced?

You guys are just off on this one.

Have dealers WFH and deliver cars to you if you choose to buy. All negotiations can be done over the phone. Deliver the car to their house, disinfect the interior, and sign some papers. There's no reason for the showroom to be open.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
How many dead bodies would you predict to come from an unemployment rate of 20% +? I’m talking suicides, OD’s, loss of medical care, etc.

Yep, it’s Universal Basic Income and Medical Care For Everyone time in this country as people are now recognizing how dangerous the alternative is to everyone.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Lots of talk about the states without Stay at Home orders on the national news. I live in a state with one. What you are doing right now in Iowa is no different than what we are doing. No dine in, no haircuts, no tattoos, ... Lots of things saying they are essential. Lots of stupid people not practicing social distancing. Lots of new people out exercising.

So what are people complaining about in your state?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
My mother is 96 and still has morning coffee in the complex she live in. The funny thing is she said they put an empty chair between each of them. Apartment living. We put 3 or 4 meals a week on her car front seat. She still cooks and bakes we just do it to create conversation and feel like we are helping. When it gets warm outside we will have to use a cooler. She still drives and picks up her groceries. Took a bouquet of daffodils from our garden one day. Call her 1 to 2 times a day. Everything was good until she told me she went to dollar general to get a sympathy card, because a friend had died. Now I am worried sick. Challenging times.
My father is the same age. His complex is more stringent - there is only one entrance to the facility, and the grounds are fenced off. The apartments are all on ground floor and the facility has finger-like hallways, so each apt has a back door with a tiny porch and "yard" or garden facing a "courtyard" so the residents can go outside in a protected space. Eight units share each courtyard. They have microwaves & mini fridges in their apartments but take nearly all their meals together in a dining hall. The facility started limiting visitors in & residents out in mid-March. None of the residents drive any more, so that hasn't been a huge problem, but it's getting harder for my sister to see him (the facility is in College Station, TX). There's been no cases in his facility, but it may be only a matter of time.

I'm glad you can see your mom. I hope you can convince her to stay home and stay safe!

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
So what are people complaining about in your state?

I can't speak for Boz and the mindset where I live in KS is extremely different from about 90% of the more traditional parts of KS, but I can tell you that where I live people aren't really complaining.

My city has a very high percentage of the population with degrees and advanced degrees and I think that comes into play in regards to how people handle it. Our county has 120,000 people and currently sits at 32 confirmed cases. 22 of those have been confirmed from travel and only 5 cases have been from local transmission. Our county's first case was confirmed on March 17. Our state and county health officials really got out ahead of this thing and I feel that the numbers show. KS was the first state to cancel school for the rest of the year, a decision that I felt was hasty at the time, but now realize was very smart. The Governor of KS declared a state of emergency on March 12.

I don't really follow what goes on in Iowa very closely, except for what I read on here, but I will tell you that from a national or non-Iowa perspective, it is bad optics. When they show the map of states that don't have a SIP, that isn't a group that you want to be associated with.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Not all, but some. Families? What about single people? Divorced?

There are just going to be circumstances when people will NEED to buy a car.

Its a Pandemic folks, a once in a lifetime thing, 40 some other states have shut every thing down but grocery stores and gas stations, and people on here are throwing out excuses of why Iowa could not do the same.

I might need a new vehicle, and might need it today, so we have to keep those showrooms open! Horse sell in Wayne Co, have to get it done today, that is a farm operation, but they are quarter horses to pull their buggies, NOPE farm operation, legal under the regulations.
Give me a break, do you guys want to slow down this pandemic or not?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Its a Pandemic folks, a once in a lifetime thing, 40 some other states have shut every thing down but grocery stores and gas stations, and people on here are throwing out excuses of why Iowa could not do the same.

I might need a new vehicle, and might need it today, so we have to keep those showrooms open! Horse sell in Wayne Co, have to get it done today, that is a farm operation, but they are quarter horses to pull their buggies, NOPE farm operation, legal under the regulations.
Here’s the thing. That isn’t true. Other states like Illinois have just as much open as us. I have family that lives there. Those businesses just get exemptions put on them. This constant complaining though about not having it called SIP is hilarious though, carry on.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Here’s the thing. That isn’t true. Other states like Illinois have just as much open as us. I have family that lives there. Those businesses just get exemptions put on them. This constant complaining though about not having it called SIP is hilarious though, carry on.

My BIL is employed by the MN government and they are similar to us in who is shut down and not. He could WFH but they make him go in anyhow.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

Calm down, man.

I live in a state with a stay at home order and I can assure you that we have a lot more open than grocery stores and gas stations. Iowa chose their leaders and I won't say anything else about that because it would get political.

Many people need cars to survive. Transportation is necessary, how hard is this for you? You choose not to listen or use the facts that I have provided, that is on you. It has nothing to do with a horse sale.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

This is what other states are like. Nut jobs are going to nut job regardless of what we do.

Why can't the churches just have their services outside at the church? Tune up a radio station like those people do that put out musical Christmas lights displays, and have everyone listen from their cars.

If they're worried about donations, just tuck their money in their windows for someone to come around and collect.

I'd say I'm shocked by the sheer stupidity in all of this, but really I'm not.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Why can't the churches just have their services outside at the church? Tune up a radio station like those people do that put out musical Christmas lights displays, and have everyone listen from their cars.

If they're worried about donations, just tuck their money in their windows for someone to come around and collect.

I'd say I'm shocked by the sheer stupidity in all of this, but really I'm not.

Exactly! I'm not a church going person, but it seems like it should be so simple to do this safely... as long as it's not raining out. But there's no reason to be hugging and shaking hands with everyone like they're doing in these churches. Just beyond dumb.

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
And Reynolds said horse auction was not in compliance with her order

Status
Not open for further replies.