Casting Couch: Best and Worst people casted

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Nevermind I recognize the room now

Casting+couch_0ccb62_7329349.jpg

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I just can't seem to like an movie Nicholas Cage is in. He just seems to overact in his movies. Not all of his movies, but a lot of them.

OPButtrey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 21, 2010
Robert Duvall in Lonesome Dove. I read the book first and thought he was great as Gus.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I really do not like westerns at all but for some reason absolutely love Open Range and the True Grit reboot.

The attention to detail in 'Open Range' is one of the things that makes it so great. The near impossibility of simply crossing the street during heavy rains, the fact that women (who weren't working girls) normally would never go into a saloon, even the front of Costner's hat being so much more molded and matted down on the one side than the other because that's the hand he would always use to take it off. I do like westerns, and it's turned into one of my favorites.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Bad Bad Bad: Noah Wyle in the TV sci-fi Falling Skies. The mild Wyle as the librarian in the "Librarian" movies works to some extent. Cast as a meek professor turned alien fighting resistance leader? Nope, not at all. Just terrible. And the rest of the cast, with maybe Sarah Conner as an exception, should never work as actors again. Ever.

fallingskies16.jpg

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Random thoughts on movie casting:

Great Casting:
1. Thought Heath Ledger would be a disaster when I heard he was going to be the joker and he was phenomenal.
2. Jeff Bridges as The Dude....epic.
3. Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly (and he wasn't originally supposed to have the role)
4. Tom Hanks in The Terminal....you forget he's not actually of Russian decent in real life.

Terrible to Meh Casting:
1. Toby Maquire was average at best as Spiderman.
2. Steve Carrell in Dan in Real Life. Was hard to get my head around it while the Office was going on.
3. Maggie Gyllenhaal in the Dark Knight. Just didn't do it for me especially when the role was portrayed by Katie Holmes.

I never saw the Dark Knight and still refuse to watch it, but Maggie Gyllenhall was cast in another movie (was it a different Batman movie?) where she was supposed to be playing a beautiful woman. In fact, she was introduced in more than one scene to someone else and "beautiful" was used in the introduction as if they were trying to convince the audience that she was indeed beautiful. Sorry, but Maggie Gyllenhall is not the least bit beautiful. She's not unpleasant to look at, but I would by no means describe her as beautiful.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Jake Lloyd as Anakin Skywalker. SO many failures in that decision.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I never saw the Dark Knight and still refuse to watch it, but Maggie Gyllenhall was cast in another movie (was it a different Batman movie?) where she was supposed to be playing a beautiful woman. In fact, she was introduced in more than one scene to someone else and "beautiful" was used in the introduction as if they were trying to convince the audience that she was indeed beautiful. Sorry, but Maggie Gyllenhall is not the least bit beautiful. She's not unpleasant to look at, but I would by no means describe her as beautiful.

It's almost like Jake and Maggie Gyllenhalls parents were casting directors.

Off topic, but Billie Eilish (who is awful) parents work in the music biz as well. Half these people have connections somehow.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't have anything against her, but I hated Jane Lynch as the voice of the hot, soldier lady in "Wreck-It Ralph". The voice didn't match the character at all (sounded too old), in my opinion, and her voice is just too recognizable, so every time she spoke, it reminded me it was her.

Have to disagree again, one of the few voiceover movies I could get into the charector without thinking about the voice.

Reactions: harimad

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Some of the peeps getting repeated cited as great castings need to get some credit for the roles they agree to take on and act. Some of them continually make GREAT choices. You know they are getting LOTS of offers, some likely not well suited for them.

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
I don’t like him generally, but Val Kilmer did a great Doc Holliday.

Reactions: Joe4Cy

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Best: Cristoph Waltz in Inglorious Bastards

Worst: David Thewlis as Ares in Wonder Woman........ Omg, I was loving the movie until that reveal happened.

Reactions: enisthemenace

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
DDL is the best actor of our time. I'll happily pay to watch anything he's in. Christian Bale and Sean Penn are a very close #2 and #3.

Gary Oldman, Tom Hanks and John Malkovich might disagree with you, along with a handful of others, but that's what I could think of on the spur of the moment.