Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I don’t think she actually understands what people are calling for. I think that she thinks what people are calling for is an order where you can’t actually leave your house. I’m hopeful she just does what you are calling for and leaves it at that. If she doesn’t then I think we have more serious problems. I’m introverted so I don’t leave my house that much anyway but actually restricting me to that would not be good for my mental health. I’ve already had panic attacks fearing that. Maybe it is an irrational fear but it is absolutely terrifying to me. I can probably make do with it for a week or two but past that I wouldn't make it under that type of restriction.

I’ve already discussed the possibility of moving back home but my parents are sleeping in separate rooms already to minimize their contact and they’ve taken over my old room.

I forgot to reply to this earlier. I'm not in any way minimizing your concerns or fears, but I very sincerely think it's highly unlikely it will ever come to this. I haven't followed every state's restrictions but is even NYC on that level of restrictions right now?

Regardless, every expert recommendation I have read says that getting outside is necessary in these times. Particularly in a place like Iowa it's 100% possible to do that while observing a healthy distance from people. It's going to have to get bad beyond anything any of us has imagined so far for them to take that away.

Obviously I can't predict the future but I've read everything I can about all this, and I think if you're at home already your next month or two will probably look identical to your last two or three weeks...with the exception of more reliably pleasant weather outside.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Was talking about USA numbers from this site. I still don't know clearly what clarifies as 'recovered' though for tracking so it may not even matter. Like if someone actually had it, but they weren't even allowed to get tested, I doubt they would be much more than an afterthought if they didn't require medical attention.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Didn't check the source but what's being used by Wikipedia looks like lots of states don't report recovered at all. I also think there are likely lots of people that are essentially recovered but aren't counted YET. For example CA has like 12,000 confirmed cases, 230 or so deaths but only like 60 reported as recovered. So I think using a sum of states recovered data is not valid.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I thought Ohio was held up as some paragon for Iowa to emulate. Their stay at home order exempts churches. Really? It's almost as if these orders are inconsistent and ill defined.

So define them so they don't exempt churches. Or anything else.

There, that was easy.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Didn't check the source but what's being used by Wikipedia looks like lots of states don't report recovered at all. I also think there are likely lots of people that are essentially recovered but aren't counted YET. For example CA has like 12,000 confirmed cases, 230 or so deaths but only like 60 reported as recovered. So I think using a sum of states recovered data is not valid.

Also have to be tested again 3X negative to be considered recovered.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I forgot to reply to this earlier. I'm not in any way minimizing your concerns or fears, but I very sincerely think it's highly unlikely it will ever come to this. I haven't followed every state's restrictions but is even NYC on that level of restrictions right now?

Regardless, every expert recommendation I have read says that getting outside is necessary in these times. Particularly in a place like Iowa it's 100% possible to do that while observing a healthy distance from people. It's going to have to get bad beyond anything any of us has imagined so far for them to take that away.

Obviously I can't predict the future but I've read everything I can about all this, and I think if you're at home already your next month or two will probably look identical to your last two or three weeks...with the exception of more reliably pleasant weather outside.

The epicenter of US COVID is doing the following:

Those not on the large and vague essential business list have to close or work from home.
Events w large groups are cancelled.
School closures.
Reduced mass transit
Others are encouraged to stay home except for essential activities like work or groceries.
Workers for essential businesses are encouraged to work from home.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ny.cur...w-york-covid-19-coronavirus-cancellations-nyc

But they have an official SIP so it's totally different than what is happening in Iowa.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The epicenter of US COVID is doing the following:

Those not on the large and vague essential business list have to close or work from home.
Events w large groups are cancelled.
School closures.
Reduced mass transit
Others are encouraged to stay home except for essential activities like work or groceries.
Workers for essential businesses are encouraged to work from home.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/ny.cur...w-york-covid-19-coronavirus-cancellations-nyc

But they have an official SIP so it's totally different than what is happening in Iowa.

Well, Cuomo hasn't had to waste precious time in his press conferences trying to discredit the nation's leading authority on the crisis, so he does have that going for him.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Is everything in Iowa pretty much shut down, and the Governor just playing a political game, or are people business as usual?

Restaurants, bars, gyms, churches, schools are all closed. No groups >10 people. There are several other business types that are closed but overall ~80% of businesses are "essential" according to Dept of Homeland Security guidance. Similar to MN at 78%.

Last edited:

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Is everything in Iowa pretty much shut down, and the Governor just playing a political game, or are people business as usual?

Lots shut down, but there are a number of businesses still open, mostly manufacturers and other large employers. And, anecdotally, a lot of people who are at best casually observing the governor's repeated requests to comply.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Just cancelled going for a flight tomorrow, wouldn't have thought about it if it wasn't a club plane. This **** needs to end.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

IMO we basically are a shelter in place state without the official order. I have friends in Minneapolis and Chicago where they have the official declaration and there are more businesses open and kids socializing at parks than we have in Iowa right now who say the order does no good because there are not enough resources to enforce it.

Right now I am an essential employee in IT for an essential business so I have to report to work regardless. There have been 2 COVID19 cases within 100 yards of my desk and a 3rd pending test results and I feel just fine right now. I am carrying hand sanitizer on me and diligently washing my hands and wiping down surfaces if I have face to face contact with anyone still in the office.

I fear that a stay at home order may be more detrimental at this point because there are enough crazy people out there that will try to defy the order than if we just use common sense and limit our interactions. In the big picture Iowa is still in the bottom tier in the US for infections

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

There, that was easy.
I agree. This is a reflection of the total absence of leadership at the top.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

There, that was easy.
In iowa all.the churches are only holding online services right now that I know of. People just need to use common sense, we don't need the government to police it if we just do the right things

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
In iowa all.the churches are only holding online services right now that I know of. People just need to use common sense, we don't need the government to police it if we just do the right things
Religious events that involve more than 10 people are currently prohibited in Iowa.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Well, Cuomo hasn't had to waste precious time in his press conferences trying to discredit the nation's leading authority on the crisis, so he does have that going for him.
I agree it is dumb to be stubborn and not just do it.

I think Fauci is great but when he is talking about states that haven't implemented SIP his description is nothing close to Iowa, and his rationale is to make things happen that have been in place and shared in the Governors press conference every day for two weeks.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I agree it is dumb to be stubborn and not just do it.

I think Fauci is great but when he is talking about states that haven't implemented SIP his description is nothing close to Iowa, and his rationale is to make things happen that have been in place and shared in the Governors press conference every day for two weeks.
I like Fauci too, but he has been all over the place with his recommendations. Just last week he was saying this pandemic was a regional issue with hotspots in different parts of the nation, and it was going to have to be different response levels for different parts of the country at different times. Now he says every state should have stay at home orders, whatever that means. Meanwhile his boss won't order that. The message from federal leadership has been a muddled mess leaving states to fend for themselves.

Then we have Reynolds getting crucified for saying Fauci probably doesn't have all the information even though she is probably right. Does Fauci know that Ohio, who has issued a "stay at home" order is still allowing churches to hold services while Iowa, who has not ordered "stay at home", has prohibited such gatherings? I doubt he does. How could he know all the details of every individual states policies. This is the result of leadership from the bottom up in a national crisis that needs the exact opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.