Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Nationally they are. But I don't know if those numbers are accurate vs. how hospitals keep track. Brought it up earlier--if someone is just sent home to quarantine after testing positive, does the hospital monitor, or just assume they're recovered after 14 days so long as they didn't die?

Sadly, the deaths are catching up with the 'recovered' numbers. Was 2:1 the other way.
Not following you on this, the current ratio is about 5:1 , Discharged and Recovering : Deaths. Or do you mean you've noticed a trend in the daily numbers?

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Pretty sure Reynolds will tell him to pound sand.
pVPj0.jpg

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
With today's technology, there is no reason for an "office type" worker to not work from home. Also, working from home has been in place for many office workers for several years. It's just now getting more headlines. I work from home and have found that I actually work more productive efficient hours because there are less distractions. No to and from commute, much less chit chat with fellow workers, no wasted lunch hour/coffee breaks and most importantly, no work place drama. Everything is on line and can be supervised/monitored by management without physically watching employees. If an employee wants to screw around, it will catch up to them real quick.

I regularly work from home 2 days per week and I agree. I'm usually more productive at home and I am definitely happier. I will say that I'm not sure I would like 5 days a week forever, but I'd rather have 5 days a week than not being able to telework at all. One problem with my employer is we can't take home our docking stations and monitors. So everything is on our laptops. I'd like to have a better setup.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I thought Ohio was held up as some paragon for Iowa to emulate. Their stay at home order exempts churches. Really? It's almost as if these orders are inconsistent and ill defined.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not following you on this, the current ratio is about 5:1 , Discharged and Recovering : Deaths. Or do you mean you've noticed a trend in the daily numbers?

Was talking about USA numbers from this site. I still don't know clearly what clarifies as 'recovered' though for tracking so it may not even matter. Like if someone actually had it, but they weren't even allowed to get tested, I doubt they would be much more than an afterthought if they didn't require medical attention.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
https://idph.iowa.gov/Emerging-Health-Issues/Novel-Coronavirus

It won't let me copy the graph, but here is the page from the department of health. It gives hospitalized, discharged and recovering, deaths, and never hospitalized. My logic says you should add these four lines together to get the total cases, but it has always been short some.
BC what do your notes say about the daily change in "currently hospitalized?" Total in Iowa? Currently it is 80.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I have a question for the smart people on here. How does Canada only have 187 deaths. Did they shut down the country early or what?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I have a question for the smart people on here. How does Canada only have 187 deaths. Did they shut down the country early or what?
I think the whole country has been since like early March maybe even late feb

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
BC what do your notes say about the daily change in "currently hospitalized?" Total in Iowa? Currently it is 80.

I openly admit I’m poor with that. I look at the numbers again around 9 to see about what they change day to day. Far from good notes. Someone else had been keeping track for about 3-5 days IIRC.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yes, he generically mentioned his boarding states regarding SIP orders.
So MN has 22% of businesses deemed non essential that have to eliminate parts of their operations that create person to person interaction.

Assuming that 22% is the same in Iowa, what portion of that are already forced to do the same (bars, restaurants, etc.) in Iowa?

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I regularly work from home 2 days per week and I agree. I'm usually more productive at home and I am definitely happier. I will say that I'm not sure I would like 5 days a week forever, but I'd rather have 5 days a week than not being able to telework at all. One problem with my employer is we can't take home our docking stations and monitors. So everything is on our laptops. I'd like to have a better setup.
I just took off empty desks at my company.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

They faked Sophie Trudeau getting the virus and scared all their people into staying home.

Status
Not open for further replies.