Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm just saying that is when all hope was lost - Florida A & M. They were never coming back from that.

It was a horrible loss, but hope wasn't lost. Had Haliburton been healthy all year and say ISU had a decent Big 12 campaign (obviously they didn't), the committee would have chalked that loss up to Haliburton being hurt.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm just saying that is when all hope was lost - Florida A & M. They were never coming back from that.
I didn't have high hopes for the season after we lost to an NIT (maybe?) team in game 2 out in Corvallis. I felt a little better after we picked up a couple wins against the sisters of the poor and beat an OK at best Bama team and competed with a couple tournament teams in the Bahamas, but certainly still had minimum expectations as we sat at a mediocre 4-3 after all of that. The win at Hilton over Seton Hall was great, but obviously a pretty large outlier, if not the biggest one of the season. The team lost Mamulukaleshvili at the first under 16 timeout in that one, and while they actually played pretty good ball without him for a stretch of the season, they certainly weren't ready to adjust to it that particular night.

My thoughts after that one were that maybe this could be a bubble team if we get all the right breaks along the way, but more than likely NIT. After the Iowa game, I was thinking NIT at best. And after FAMU, I had written off the season for the most part. Tyrese going down in early February only sealed the deal completely. I don't think having him would have even gotten us to the NIT necessarily, though we did have a favorable schedule down the stretch.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
You saying he's a thug? If so, complaining that a 130 pound freshman curb stomped you is not a good look for a thug.
Not saying that at all. I have nothing against Pemsl no matter where he goes. Ames included.