Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This thread at 2:30 every day.

920S8-.gif

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I understand what you are saying but almost all states are operating off the Dept of Homeland Security list with specific additions to it for their state.

I get it and I'm not dismissive of that. But if everyone is essential, then no one is and there's no point in bothering to keep a list. It seems like a real failure of planning that we treat something unique like a pandemic the same as any other crisis.

I could be wrong but I don't recall one appeal from Reynolds for employers to make every effort to send employees home, whether essential or not. She urges workers to work from home if they can, but not employers to send employees home, and just hides behind the essential workers guidance.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I agree. But if you think about all the Agricultural, State Employees, Financial/Insurance and Manufacturing that is a huge base. Then you add in all the other things that are deemed essential medical, grocery, auto, construction, etc. I think 80% is pretty easy to get to.

As I have mentioned before "essential" covers a lot of area (some most probably don't deem essential) and it is probably easier to list the "non-essential" workers.

Just the slaughter plants and meat processing plants alone in the state involves a huge number of people. Those places aren't closing. Agriculture, and all it entails, has to keep going or we're all done. I honestly don't have any idea how many non essential people are still working outside their homes right now, but I'd think it's a pretty small number in comparison.

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
I'd guess Fauci knows more than what she does.

The data we've seen, from places like google's mobility reports, is that while some claim that her mix of orders and recommendations are just as good as other states, they arent having the same effect as states that have done more formal stay at home orders. A lot of things just won't stop until she makes it more official and less suggestion.

I wish there was more of an equation to define when to completely shut it down. But, I doubt that he knows how many available ventilators and beds we have in the state versus current numbers in hospitals. I want to think he has our best interest in mind, but the more he gains traction the stiffer his expectations are becoming (one of his latest comments was that we couldn't abandon SIP until there are no new cases and no new deaths which seems extreme to me).

That is one thing that I haven't heard from those locally calling for SIP: any numbers to support their stance. Frankly, I don't know that the growth rate of those hospitalized warrants it yet. IMO, if we get over 100(?) hospitalized with CVD19, it might be time to do more; with 280 available ventilators in the state, that should (might?) allow enough time to keep us under the limit.

Reactions: Acylum

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
The Iowa Board of Medicine recommended a shelter in place order, they seem like they'd be considered medical experts.

To be fair, she said she had not seen their letter yet. That might make a difference if/when they have a conversation with her about it.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Yep, people complaining about the same thing being said in a press conference in a thread that argues the same same day after day.
There's no point in trying to have any kind of rational conversation in this thread anymore, but I'll try to make a contribution.

source.gif

Reactions: BCClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Some good information here...

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/...-minnesota-and-its-neighbors-in-upper-midwest

Take from the data what you will...does look like SIP slows the spread, but doesn't stop it.

Nothing will stop it except a vaccine and even then it'll still be somewhere because of course, some people will refuse to get vaccinated.

Maybe herd immunity a little if it's actually a thing for this.

Slowing it so the hospitals don't get smoked and adequate care can be provided is the goal I believe....but then it gets tricky for those waiting to get back to work.

At what point can they decide to at least 'sprinkle in' some of the work force? Do you have restaurants limit the amount of patrons? Factories go back to half staffed? Only allow those that have developed antibodies go back?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I wish there was more of an equation to define when to completely shut it down. But, I doubt that he knows how many available ventilators and beds we have in the state versus current numbers in hospitals. I want to think he has our best interest in mind, but the more he gains traction the stiffer his expectations are becoming (one of his latest comments was that we couldn't abandon SIP until there are no new cases and no new deaths which seems extreme to me).

That is one thing that I haven't heard from those locally calling for SIP: any numbers to support their stance. Frankly, I don't know that the growth rate of those hospitalized warrants it yet. IMO, if we get over 100(?) hospitalized with CVD19, it might be time to do more; with 280 available ventilators in the state, that should (might?) allow enough time to keep us under the limit.

I'd like to see more info on how many of the hospitalized cases are in ICU, non-ICU, on vents, etc. I suppose that's too fluid though so we'll never see that data. Also if we've received any more vents than the 280 we started with.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
So what should Iowa do? What else needs to be shut down? People will still go to the grocery store/ pharmacy/gas stations. A lot of people will still need to go to work. People are still going to leave their homes. It won't be enforced. What are they gonna do? Pull over everybody going to work? LOL!!! What would be different? Will the words "shelter in place" just magically make things better?

For some of the people on here it will.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The Iowa Board of Medicine recommended a shelter in place order, they seem like they'd be considered medical experts.

True, but medical professionals are asked to save lives from COVID-19. They aren't ask to save lives from COVID-19 while trying to avoid massive long-term unemployment. I'm sure many consider it, as they are probably well aware that there are massive health and safety problems that arise from economic crises. However, that's not their immediate concern, and in a lot of ways that's someone else's problem.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd like to see more info on how many of the hospitalized cases are in ICU, non-ICU, on vents, etc. I suppose that's too fluid though so we'll never see that data. Also if we've received any more vents than the 280 we started with.

More questions: Is this something where some people might just be in the hospital for one night just to keep a check on a symptom and go back the next day? Or are hospitals being more cautious and having longer stays? Are they not even receiving actual treatment besides keeping fluids going?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
That can work. It wouldn't hurt her to spell that out in a couple of sensical sentences.
She could pretty much copy and paste your answer, work around a couple words, and have an actual answer.

You can't figure that out yourself so you need her to say it? It's pretty self evident. This is simply politic driven complaining.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
More questions: Is this something where some people might just be in the hospital for one night just to keep a check on a symptom and go back the next day? Or are hospitals being more cautious and having longer stays? Are they not even receiving actual treatment besides keeping fluids going?
Even just the average length of stay for those admitted and discharged would be something.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I am "essential" and still going to the office everyday.

If there is a stay-at-home order or shelter-in-place I will start working from home and still be "essential"

The definitions of SIP that I have seen implemented strictly allow or disallow people to go into work based on whether or not their business is considered essential. Any worker that can work from home in an essential business is not by definition effected by SIP as has been typically been defined.

And right now your company is ignoring the governor's guidance that has been provided everyday - if your employees can work from home let them do so. And implementing SIP as it typically has been elsewhere wouldn't force your employer to let you work from home. It would say - you're in an essential business, so you can keep going to work.

Your employer is failing here. Failing massively.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
At this point, just to get people of my back, I would just say "Iowa is now SIP". Next the reporters would ask what has changed and I'd say nothing.

but she refuses to do that which changes nothing because...

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
There are a handful of businesses/industries that would be affected by the formal SIP order. She must have big donors in those industries.

That's all I can come up with. Because we are at 95% of SIP right now, but no one realizes it, so the optics are absolutely terrible. People outside of Iowa have lumped us in with places where nothing is shut down. That's not accurate, at all.

There's a reason Reynolds is absolutely refusing to indulge these semantics, and all that makes sense to me is that it will piss off someone she owes a favor to.

Like you just said, and I have said a couple of times, follow the money.

btw, our governor here in Texas just called churches essential. Smdh.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
At this point, just to get people of my back, I would just say "Iowa is now SIP". Next the reporters would ask what has changed and I'd say nothing.

She distributes a copy of the order, which is just "ThiS iS mY SheLteR in PLacE OrdER FOr THe StaTE OF IOwa" written in crayon.

Reactions: Urbandale2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron