• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I find it unlikely that Venom 2 is still on-track for release this year, only because Sony moved Morbius and Ghostbusters: Afterlife from the Summer 2020 to March 2021, which indicates they are throwing in the towel on the summer box office. I'm surprised that Sony didn't shift Morbius to fill Venom's October release date - Vampire movies and October release date would seem to be the perfect pairing. The fact that Venom hasn't been moved must mean Sony is confident in what they have filmed so far, so maybe they can make it work. The first Venom movie was one of the highest grossing October releases ever, so maybe Sony is still hoping to recapture that box office magic - assuming people can still go to the movies this year.

I would have preferred if they shifted Morbius to Venom 2's release date and stuck with the same order, but whatever. I'm sure there is a reason why they haven't done that. Boy, 2021 was already going to be our weakest release slate for superheroes in years and it is only getting worse and worse. With that said, 2022 was already insane and now it just keeps getting more and more insane providing they don't shift everything else back as well.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm surprised they were going to release New Mutants in the first place. I'd like it to be good but I'd be shocked if it were.

Black Widow will be in theaters. People will want the marvel experience when we get back to life and it's highly anticipated. Plus, they want to juice of putting a woman headliner out there.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
And as soon as I posted that, Disney has announced their release date changes to a number of films, including other MCU entries. All the MCU dates have shifted:

Black Widow moves to Nov 6, 2020, which was The Eternals release date.

Eternals has been moved to Feb 12, 2021, which was held for Shang-Chi.

Shang-Chi moves to May 7, 2021

Doctor Strange Sequel - Nov 5, 2021

Thor: Love & Thunder - Feb 28, 2022

Black Panther 2 - May 8, 2022

Captain Marvel 2 - July 8, 2022 (I didn’t know this had been announced already)

Other Disney release dates:
Mulan - July 24, 2020
Jungle Cruise - July 30, 2021
Indiana Jones 5 - July 29, 2022

https://www.ign.com/articles/black-widow-eternals-mcu-phase-4-release-dates-indiana-jones-5-mulan

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
And as soon as I posted that, Disney has announced their release date changes to a number of films, including other MCU entries. All the MCU dates have shifted:

Black Widow moves to Nov 6, 2020, which was The Eternals release date.

Eternals has been moved to Feb 12, 2021, which was held for Shang-Chi.

Shang-Chi moves to May 7, 2021

Doctor Strange Sequel - Nov 5, 2021

Thor: Love & Thunder - Feb 28, 2022

Black Panther 2 - May 8, 2022

Captain Marvel 2 - July 8, 2022 (I didn’t know this had been announced already)

Other Disney release dates:
Mulan - July 24, 2020
Jungle Cruise - July 30, 2021
Indiana Jones 5 - July 29, 2022

https://www.ign.com/articles/black-widow-eternals-mcu-phase-4-release-dates-indiana-jones-5-mulan

Its interesting that New Mutants was on NONE of these new release schedules..... hmmmm. Might mean they are in fact considering dropping it on Hulu or Disney+ now.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
A movie “industry analyst” has shared 5 release dates of future MCU titles and claims the first date is reserved for Blade. These have not been confirmed, but they seem likely:

Oct 7, 2022 - Blade
Feb 17, 2023
May 5, 2023
July 28, 2023
Nov 3, 2023

Two of those 2023 dates have to be reserved for Guardians of the Galaxy 3 & Ant-Man 3. I would guess the July 28th date is reserved for Ant-Man as the two previous Ant-Man films had July release dates as well. May is a popular release month, and I’m willing to bet the May 5 date is reserved for Guardians.

So, assuming no more release date delays, here is the MCU breakdown:

2020 (1 movie*): Black Widow
*the Disney+ series were supposed to launch this Fall, but production has been halted and it’s likely Black Widow has some kind of tie-in to the series. My guess is that the MCU series are delayed until 2021

2021 (4 films): The Eternals, Shang-Chi, Spider-Man 3, Dr. Strange

2022 (4 films): Thor, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Blade

2023 (4 films): no films confirmed, but likely entries are Guardians and Ant-Man.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Hard to believe we are only going to get 1 MCU film this year. Its really starting to eat away at me. Need some MCU fix.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Hard to believe we are only going to get 1 MCU film this year. Its really starting to eat away at me. Need some MCU fix.

Feels like it has been forever!

On the other hand, 2021 looks like it could be MCU overload. We have 3 MCU films, 2 of which are brand new properties (Eternals and Shang-Chi), the next Spider-Man film which appears to tie the Sony-verse to the MCU (Venom, Venom 2 & Morbius), and 3 or 4 MCU-Disney+ shows:

Falcon & the Winter Soldier
WandaVision
Loki
Hawkeye

Reactions: CloniesForLife

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Sounds like Rocket will play a large role in Guardians 3:

This came from James Gunn's live quarantine watch party of Guardians of the Galaxy 1, which happened April 7. I would recommend skimming through Gunn's posts because he gives a lot of great director commentary about the characters/production. If you enjoyed Guardians 1 as much as I did you don't really need to be watching to understand which scenes Gunn is referencing in his posts.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2020/04/09/marvel-studios-can-use-daredevil-mcu-sooner-than-you-think/

This article points out that this November, which is coming up soon, is the end of the 2-year hold Netflix has on Disney using the Daredevil character again. Once we pass that point, it will be interesting to hear when the next time the character pops back up. I'm wondering how much this 2-year holdout played into how quickly Marvel was in pulling the trigger on cancelling these series with Netflix. I also don't know if the 2-year clock starts when the series is canceled or 2 years past the last episode.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2020/04/09/marvel-studios-can-use-daredevil-mcu-sooner-than-you-think/

This article points out that this November, which is coming up soon, is the end of the 2-year hold Netflix has on Disney using the Daredevil character again. Once we pass that point, it will be interesting to hear when the next time the character pops back up. I'm wondering how much this 2-year holdout played into how quickly Marvel was in pulling the trigger on cancelling these series with Netflix. I also don't know if the 2-year clock starts when the series is canceled or 2 years past the last episode.

There's a rumor that Charlie Cox (who played Daredevil in the Netflix series) was going to make an appearance as Peter Parker's lawyer in Spider-Man 3.
https://cosmicbook.news/daredevil-charlie-cox-spider-man-3-kevin-smith

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
On the other hand, 2021 looks like it could be MCU overload. We have 3 MCU films, 2 of which are brand new properties (Eternals and Shang-Chi), the next Spider-Man film which appears to tie the Sony-verse to the MCU (Venom, Venom 2 & Morbius), and 3 or 4 MCU-Disney+ shows:

Falcon & the Winter Soldier
WandaVision
Loki
Hawkeye

Eternals and Shang-Chi are still a really tough sell. I'm not sure how they can expect a big turnout for those.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Eternals and Shang-Chi are still a really tough sell. I'm not sure how they can expect a big turnout for those.

Its Marvel Studios, so they've deserved the benefit of the doubt at least for me. They did turn Guardians of the Galaxy into a hit, which nobody would have expected either. I agree that Shang-Chi should at least score well in Asia. One thing Marvel was smart with for an unknown property like the Eternals was to load it up with a few fairly well-known actors/actresses because I think they needed to.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Sam Raimi has confirmed that he is directing Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/n...idental-spider-man-2-doctor-strange-reference

I turned on Raimi’s Spider-Man 1 for my kids a couple weeks ago and I was surprised how well that held their attention, and Spider-Man 2 still holds a top spot on my favorite comic book films. I’m pumped about this hire and it seems a slam-dunk to have some kind Spider-Man tie-in, especially with “Multiverse” in the title.

Now let the speculation begin on what Bruce Campbell’s role will be.

Update:
I forgot that Raimi directed Oz: The Great and Powerful, which is a Disney film. I may go back and watch that just to get an idea of what the visual effects may look like.

Also, Raimi has a relationship with composer Danny Elfman. Elfman worked on the score for Raimi's Spider-Man 1 & 2, and also Oz The Great and Powerful. It would be great to get Elfman's scores into the MCU, and Dr Strange would be fitting for Elfman's musical style. How about a reprise of Oingo Boingo's Dead Man's Party with an Iron Man cameo. RDJ appeared in the original music video, since the song was for Back to School which Downey Jr appeared in.

Bruce Campbell is up for the villain role:

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Sam Raimi has confirmed that he is directing Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/n...idental-spider-man-2-doctor-strange-reference

I turned on Raimi’s Spider-Man 1 for my kids a couple weeks ago and I was surprised how well that held their attention, and Spider-Man 2 still holds a top spot on my favorite comic book films. I’m pumped about this hire and it seems a slam-dunk to have some kind Spider-Man tie-in, especially with “Multiverse” in the title.

Now let the speculation begin on what Bruce Campbell’s role will be.

Update:
I forgot that Raimi directed Oz: The Great and Powerful, which is a Disney film. I may go back and watch that just to get an idea of what the visual effects may look like.

Also, Raimi has a relationship with composer Danny Elfman. Elfman worked on the score for Raimi's Spider-Man 1 & 2, and also Oz The Great and Powerful. It would be great to get Elfman's scores into the MCU, and Dr Strange would be fitting for Elfman's musical style. How about a reprise of Oingo Boingo's Dead Man's Party with an Iron Man cameo. RDJ appeared in the original music video, since the song was for Back to School which Downey Jr appeared in.

Bruce Campbell is up for the villain role:

I'm a big movie score guy and could talk favorite movie scores all day long. With that said, I would love to get Elfman into the MCU, even if it isnt with Raimi.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Some industry news regarding Disney:

One industry analyst is estimating that Disney is losing around $30 million per day. Robert Iger has stepped back in as "executive chairman" of Disney to navigate through this time. Disney had to borrow $6 billion back in March.

https://www.mediaite.com/entertainm...es-disney-is-hemorrhaging-30-million-per-day/

Netflix stock is outperforming Disney this quarter, with analysts estimating Netflix gained between 7-8.45 million new subscribers during quarantine.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/netflix-shares-all-time-highs-disney-market-cap-1234581167/

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Not going to lie I'm not a huge Raimi fan. I think he's pretty cheesy. I'm really bummed Derrickson is off of DS2.