Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Shoot....I was trying to instigate a huge Lowes/Home Depot/Nagle/Spahn and Rose debate....

I'm watching Rob Riggle, Global investigator and drinking scotch presently.
I would need a lot of scotch to be able to sit and watch Rob Riggle.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Tax refund and payday

tenor.gif

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
So,the upgrades to our technology made uploading classes much better.
Picked up a lowish-cost Chromebook for recording a little easier (and sold myself that Z can use it for school, because she loves that),and our new router.

Less than 10 minutes to upload the videos yesterday.
Took some new tricks in Canvas,and everyone had access to the videos in 2 different ways less than 20 minutes after I finished filming. That seems more like it, and a lot more competent in appearance than "I'm trying, but things aren't working."

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Picked up a lowish-cost Chromebook for recording a little easier (and sold myself that Z can use it for school, because she loves that),and our new router.

Took some new tricks in Canvas,and everyone had access to the videos in 2 different ways less than 20 minutes after I finished filming. That seems more like it, and a lot more competent in appearance than "I'm trying, but things aren't working."

I now do most of my computer work at 6-9 in the morning and 9-12 at night. Otherwise the wife's work and home, and the kids' computers aren't as convenient to use (and smaller screens) than my work laptop so they always use mine. Making longer days.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I do need to do the haircut gift card at least because both kid and I needed a haircut as this happened. I need to see if there's a way to get it to the stylist I always use

I went over to my gal's house on Monday. She is struggling since they closed the salon. I gave her $30, she didn't want to take it, but I insisted. And I really needed a cut too!!

Reactions: cowgirl836

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I now do most of my computer work at 6-9 in the morning and 9-12 at night. Otherwise the wife's work and home, and the kids' computers aren't as convenient to use (and smaller screens) than my work laptop so they always use mine. Making longer days.

It definitely takes some painful mental flexibility. I don't go into writing, organizing or anything until revkah is home. That's a really tough switch to flip after kindergartening all day.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
A friend called me yesterday. She is currently not working because while she can work from home her boss won't let her and she has 3 elderly women that she looks after.
She works for a food distribution company so obviously there is the need but it ridiculous that someone that can work from home is being told they can't while all the upper management is staying home.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

Your "where were you during COVID-19" story is shaping up to be a little more pleasant than just last week. Yay!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Your "where were you during COVID-19" story is shaping up to be a little more pleasant than just last week. Yay!

Kinda. It's one where I made relatively huge investments that shouldn't be required of a bottom-feeding employee. I don't want to make more out of the win that it is. I'm just glad that I found the resources to pull it off, but I'm fully aware that I got screwed in the deal.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Kinda. It's one where I made relatively huge investments that shouldn't be required of a bottom-feeding employee. I don't want to make more out of the win that it is. I'm just glad that I found the resources to pull it off, but I'm fully aware that I got screwed in the deal.

My adjunct days made me have a general dislike for college professors. Snootiest group I had ever dealt with. Arrogance dripping with every conversation I ever had with them.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
My adjunct days made me have a general dislike for college professors. Snootiest group I had ever dealt with. Arrogance dripping with every conversation I ever had with them.

See, I've had the opposite experience with profs in general, outside of the head of the Graduate College.
But being the bottom of the food chain in any organization is the wrong place to be.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
See, I've had the opposite experience with profs in general, outside of the head of the Graduate College.
But being the bottom of the food chain in any organization is the wrong place to be.

I think a larger school probably makes a difference. I was at a small private one and there aren’t a lot of bachelor degrees there let alone Dr degrees (which I don’t have). These guys were like this in the community it appeared also. Funny when you would watch a few of them in a group setting and what you would call a blue collar employee would interact. It was like they were avoiding catching something.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I think a larger school probably makes a difference. I was at a small private one and there aren’t a lot of bachelor degrees there let alone Dr degrees (which I don’t have). These guys were like this in the community it appeared also. Funny when you would watch a few of them in a group setting and what you would call a blue collar employee would interact. It was like they were avoiding catching something.

And I could see a lot of that for adjuncts, too.
Even at ISU this semester, people came by and chatted like we were peers right up until the 90 day reminder that my contract ends. All that literally ended at the exact same time, so I'm pretty sure that the expiration was a note in their faculty meeting.

The snobbier profs you mention are probably the loudest at telling their students about how it is out in the real world, too. That's always awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.