***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Wigginton would have averaged 16+ on this years team. Only reason why his numbers were similar to Bolton’s was because that 2018-19 team had so many scoring options.
I mean maybe, but the advanced statistics don't support this.

'19 Wigginton: 56.4% TS, 51.3% eFG
'20 Bolton: 53.7% TS, 46.9% eFG

Per 40
'19 Wigginton: 20.8 PPG, 3.3 APG, 3.6 TOPG
'20 Bolton: 19.0 PPG, 3.6 APG, 3.6 TOPG

They did the exact same thing. Plus the argument he would have done better on a worse team doesn't really hold weight considering those advanced numbers didn't really change from '18 to '19.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I mean maybe, but the advanced statistics don't support this.

'19 Wigginton: 56.4% TS, 51.3% eFG
'20 Bolton: 53.7% TS, 46.9% eFG

Per 40
'19 Wigginton: 20.8 PPG, 3.3 APG, 3.6 TOPG
'20 Bolton: 19.0 PPG, 3.6 APG, 3.6 TOPG

They did the exact same thing. Plus the argument he would have done better on a worse team doesn't really hold weight considering those advanced numbers didn't really change from '18 to '19.

You need to factor in Wigginton's injury into these numbers. It took him quite a few games to return to form, which affected his numbers negatively. Without another injury, his numbers would have been much improved on this year's team.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
You need to factor in Wigginton's injury into these numbers. It took him quite a few games to return to form, which affected his numbers negatively. Without another injury, his numbers would have been much improved on this year's team.
He was healthy by conference play if I remember correctly.

'19 Wigginton Conference Only:
54.8% TS, 49.4% eFG

Per 40:
19.7 PPG, 3.2 APG, 2.8 TOPG

They don't really change. If anything they are worse (that's expected though because the competition is much better).

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Exactly. Wigginton didn’t get a non-conference schedule to pad his stats against cupcake teams and once he was healthy, he had to find his rhythm against Big 12 teams. That is not an easy thing to do at all. Wigginton would have excelled on this years team with Haliburton getting him open looks. Lindell would have been on the court so much. Is it just me or does it seem like a majority of our fan base has always been pretty harsh on Wigginton? I’ve never understood it.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Exactly. Wigginton didn’t get a non-conference schedule to pad his stats against cupcake teams and once he was healthy, he had to find his rhythm against Big 12 teams. That is not an easy thing to do at all. Wigginton would have excelled on this years team with Haliburton getting him open looks. Lindell would have been on the court so much. Is it just me or does it seem like a majority of our fan base has always been pretty harsh on Wigginton? I’ve never understood it.
I really wish he had never had that injury! I for one think that, without that injury, our team would have had a better year. I can understand WHY Prohm couldn't take Tyrese out of the starting lineup after LW returned to action. But, if LW had been healthy the whole year, I could have seen Tyrese be that 6th man like DiVincenzo was for Villanova. DiVincenzo played the role of the perfect 6th man in that 2018 run to the title. I think LW did SO well his Frosh year, that many CFers had extremely high expectations that he'd dominate the Big XII. That injury really killed that fantasy, unfortunately. Again, I'd love to have that season over again minus the LW injury. Maybe we fans still would have been disappointed, but I honestly think the season would have been much better than it turned out.

Reactions: Thompsonclone

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
First, I am not being harsh on Wigginton. His advanced numbers are solid. You're just overvaluing him compared to Bolton.

Second, I wouldn't call Iowa State's non-con cupcake this year. Sure we played some easy teams, but this years non-con was about twice as difficult as last years according to Kenpom. Bolton was also incredibly streaky but his numbers were basically the same both in conference play only and overall (and he played 7/17 games without Tyrese!)

That's not to say that Lindell wouldn't have also done that, or even been a 25 ppg scorer. There's just nothing to back that up (huge scoring jump) and nothing to suggest that Lindell and Bolton aren't remarkably similar.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
First, I am not being harsh on Wigginton. His advanced numbers are solid. You're just overvaluing him compared to Bolton.

Second, I wouldn't call Iowa State's non-con cupcake this year. Sure we played some easy teams, but this years non-con was about twice as difficult as last years according to Kenpom. Bolton was also incredibly streaky but his numbers were basically the same both in conference play only and overall (and he played 7/17 games without Tyrese!)

That's not to say that Lindell wouldn't have also done that, or even been a 25 ppg scorer. There's just nothing to back that up (huge scoring jump) and nothing to suggest that Lindell and Bolton aren't remarkably similar.
I get what you are saying, but I honestly think the injury affected those numbers much more than we think. There is no way to know for sure - can't go back in time and replay that season with a healthy LW. I just look at all of LW's highlights in the G-League this year and see a very special talent that unfortunately was sidelined and then got stuck behind another special talent.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Wigginton's biggest issue was he wanted to get his numbers regardless the price. So many times he forced drives to the lane only to end up sprawled out watching everyone else sprint to the other end.

His efficiency would of skyrocketed if he'd of let the game come to him a bit more.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
All the best to Wiggy, but since this is the 2020 transfer thread, I'd rather talk about Carton and Co.

Reactions: JBone84

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Doing my best to keep up...teams listed are top teams:

PG Justice Hill (JC):
PG Darious Perry (GT):
PG Drew Buggs (T-1):
PG Charles Minlend Jr. (GT):
PG DJ Carton (T-3):
CG AJ Walker (T-2):
CG Keon Ellis (JC): 3/17/20
SG Koreem Ozier (T-2):
SG Bryce Aiken (GT): Iowa State, Maryland, Michigan, Seton Hall
SG Trey Murphy III (T-2):
SG Terrell Gomez (T-1):
SG RayQuawndis Mitchell (JC):
SG Alan Griffin (T-2): Arizona, Dayton, ISU, Miami, Syracuse, Texas
SG Justin Turner (GT): Mizzou, Xavier, Marquette, Arkansas, Louisville, ISU

Last edited:

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA

PG Justice Hill (JC):
PG Darious Perry (T-1):
PG Drew Buggs (T-1):
CG AJ Walker (T-2):
SG Koreem Ozier (T-2):
SG Trey Murphy III (T-2):
SG Terrell Gomez (T-1):
SG RayQuawndis Mitchell (JC):
SG Alan Griffin (T-2): Arizona, Dayton, ISU, Miami, Syracuse, Texas
PF Justin Turner (GT): Mizzou, Xavier, Marquette, Arkansas, Louisville, ISU

Thanks for the list as it helps me see what ISU is looking at. I do think Darius Perry is a graduate transfer though

https://www.google.com/amp/s/bigred...lle-basketball-darius-perry-transferring/amp/

Reactions: NATEizKING

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011

PG Justice Hill (JC):
PG Darious Perry (T-1):
PG Drew Buggs (T-1):
CG AJ Walker (T-2):
SG Koreem Ozier (T-2):