Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
School closures extended to 4/30. Schools need to have a continuous learning plan in place as additional time lost (beyond 4/13) will not be forgiven. State offering continuous learning programs school districts can leverage if desired.

No SIP. Said what we have is already what SIP states have (which is mostly true).

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Look..Im not trying to downplay the Virus in any way so let me be clear about that..

1- Hospitals across America were already at 80%+capacity in the iCU's before this started..Many pts in the ICU were prob infected from HC workers over past 2 months and those ICU pts are now dying.

2- Mortality rate says its around 2% right now and has gone up a lot in past week bc many of these pts are now around the 30 day mark of being on the Vent. The Mortality rate isn't as high as we see on TV bc the infection rate is far far higher. At the low end let's say number of infections is double (400k is) that would put mortality rate at 1% not 2%..I'm merely guessing but i'd bet there are prob more than 1 million infected or more right now..This would put the real Mortality rate around 0.5%...Still bad but that is approaching normal Influenza level.

3- Love the example above of the person stocking shelves talking on cell phone with mask..People just aren't trained on proper infection prevention. When you've been in HC for decades you just get used to what you need to do and NOT do. STOP TOUCHING YOUR FACE!!!

4- Aside from being sneezed or coughed on directly...You cannot catch COVID if you do NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!

5- If you go out..to a store or wherever. DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE until you get home and have thouroughly washed your hands...Then touch your face all you want.

That settles it, back to school and work tomorrow.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Schools must move to required or voluntary education options to the students. If they don't do anything, they will have to make up the lost time.

So they all say Voluntary. They continue as they are and nothing gets made up. Lebo made that way more wordy than it needed to be.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
School closures extended to 4/30. Schools need to have a continuous learning plan in place as additional time lost (beyond 4/13) will not be forgiven. State offering continuous learning programs school districts can leverage if desired.

No SIP. Said what we have is already what SIP states have (which is mostly true).
So they will likely have school in the summer

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

I don't understand this mentality at all. If we're already doing SIP but getting chastised for not officially doing it, why not just officially do it and take the better impression because of it (without having to actually change anything)?

Like, what is the end goal of not just going with the flow here? What's the downside of doing so at this point?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I mean, false. There are clear differences in effect shown in more formalized policies vs what she's rolled out.

If it actually were true, then she wouldnt be being this stubborn about it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't understand this mentality at all. If we're already doing SIP but getting chastised for not officially doing it, why not just officially do it and take the better impression because of it (without having to actually change anything)?

Like, what is the end goal of not just going with the flow here? What's the downside of doing so at this point?
There's an underlying reason why some of these states have been holding out, or not specifically calling it this.

FBFAN

Mar 18, 2009
Wow. A reporter asks Reynolds a question about the number of outbreaks we have had at care facilites(one of her core metrics that earlier in the presser she states they look at multiple times a day) and she doesn't know. Well Iowans-we are on our own.

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
I'm not a big fan of SD Gov. Noem, but she does a nice job (and a better job than our Gov) of explaining the decisions being made, why they're being made and what's expected down the road.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So I liked how Dr. Pedati was answering questions today because she's leading the charge as far as gathering this data. She mentioned the reason why they do not want to change any of the ways on how they are looking at this because that would then go against their data they have been using in the beginning..

So, the likelihood of them all of a sudden flipping a switch and looking at this from a different angle seems extremely low. They're going to continue down this path that they started and truly believe this is going to be the best way to handle this situation.

A good question was asked by a reporter asking whether or not this current mitigation strategy they put in place is currently accurate as far as the number of cases and number of deaths we have.. that question was not answered head on.

They all also keep saying they're trying to figure out hotspots and I honestly have no idea if they are looking at the same information we are.. If you cannot see that the eastern part of the state is a hot spot, I don't know what to tell you. It has over 40% of the total cases in Iowa.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Wow. A reporter asks Reynolds a question about the number of outbreaks we have had at care facilites(one of her core metrics that earlier in the presser she states they look at multiple times a day) and she doesn't know. Well Iowans-we are on our own.
I was waiting for someone to ask a question along these lines and they flat out did not know. So if they do not know the answer to that question, why the **** is it being used as a factor in their criteria?!

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
You already know the answer of this question, but just guess the political affiliation of the governors for the 12 states left that haven't issued a stay at home or a shelter in place mandate.

Here is a current list of states and governors without a stay at home order in place. Note - there is nothing political about this post, it’s simply a name of governors.

Alabama - Ivey (R)
Arkansas - Hutchinson (R)
Iowa -- Reynolds (R)
Missouri -- Parson (R)
Nebraska -- Ricketts (R)
North Dakota -- Burgum (R)
Oklahoma -- Stitt (R)
South Carolina -- McMaster (R)
South Dakota -- Noem (R)
Texas -- Abbott (R)
Utah -- Herbert (R)
Wyoming -- Gordon (R)

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Alabama - Ivey (R)
Iowa -- Reynolds (R)
Missouri -- Parson (R)
Nebraska -- Ricketts (R)
Oklahoma -- Stitt (R)
South Dakota -- Noem (R)
Texas -- Abbott (R)
Utah -- Herbert (R)
Wyoming -- Gordon (R)
I wasn't going to be the one to say it but yes.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Alabama - Ivey (R)
Iowa -- Reynolds (R)
Missouri -- Parson (R)
Nebraska -- Ricketts (R)
Oklahoma -- Stitt (R)
South Dakota -- Noem (R)
Texas -- Abbott (R)
Utah -- Herbert (R)
Wyoming -- Gordon (R)
I see no pattern

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Alabama - Ivey (R)
Iowa -- Reynolds (R)
Missouri -- Parson (R)
Nebraska -- Ricketts (R)
Oklahoma -- Stitt (R)
South Dakota -- Noem (R)
Texas -- Abbott (R)
Utah -- Herbert (R)
Wyoming -- Gordon (R)

So I'm curious-- what industry would be effected by a SIP that these people are trying to protect? What is operating now, that wouldn't be operating under a SIP, that is a substantial donor to Republican causes?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
And it didn’t happen. And won’t. Reynolds is going to get rocked by whoever runs against her in 2022.

Nah. Most people equate leadership merely with showing up to take questions. What she actually says - which is, virtually always, nothing of substance - matters very little.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So I'm curious-- what industry would be effected by a SIP that these people are trying to protect? What is operating now, that wouldn't be operating under a SIP, that is a substantial donor to Republican causes?
I have no clue as to why this would effect donors either, but you can't objectively look at that list and say it's just a coincidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron