Any drummers out there?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I'm looking to buy a drum set for $700 or less. Prefer if it were less. I have been doing some research and can't really find anything that has a good heavy metal sound. I'd say that so far I am probably leaning towards the DrumCraft Series 5.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reactions: 0u812

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Depends on what you expect from the drums. You can get a decent set for $700 but the symbols and heads are what kill you in the end.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Good thread. I have had an itch to get a trap set for about 10 years but haven’t pulled the trigger. I’m worried my window has shut on that. Be interesting to see what you find out.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Good thread. I have had an itch to get a trap set for about 10 years but haven’t pulled the trigger. I’m worried my window has shut on that. Be interesting to see what you find out.
I have noticed that most brands have some cheaper sets so I have been reading the reviews and watching videos on the YouTubes so I can hear how they sound. The DrumCraft Series 5 seems to be the best so far, but I'm still looking around. I figure I'll eventually get some more symbols and stands and a cowbell (which is a must!) when I am able to.

Reactions: 0u812

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have noticed that most brands have some cheaper sets so I have been reading the reviews and watching videos on the YouTubes so I can hear how they sound. The DrumCraft Series 5 seems to be the best so far, but I'm still looking around. I figure I'll eventually get some more symbols and stands and a cowbell (which is a must!) when I am able to.

I would start with the cowbell and then build around it.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
The problem with watching drums on youtube and seeing how they sound is a lot of that is strictly determined on how well the drums are mic’d and mixed. You could take a really expensive set and mic/mix it horribly and it will sound bad through youtube, and vice versa.
In other words, you really need to hear it in person.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
If i were to get a new set, I would probably get a Yamaha stage custom.....like how they sound and are made well. Good luck, and keep us posted on your purchase!

Reactions: demoncore1031

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
You can get a decent set for $700 but the symbols and heads are what kill you in the end.

What are these "symbols" that you are speaking of? Could you share them with us?

tolstoy

Aug 17, 2016
Does your $700 budget include cymbals? Stage Custom is a great kit, but does not include cymbals. Best bang for your buck, including cymbalsthat don’t suck is the Tama Imperialstar. Good drums, and it comes with a set of cymbals that aren’t terrible. I would get a fusion setupwhich is a basic 5 piece with a big 20 or 22 inch kick, a big 16” floor and smaller 10” and 12” mounted toms. This config is a bit easier to tune for a good sound and will have the largest spread of pitch from lowest drum to the highest.

Really, any decent kit that is actually round and has decent hardware will sound good when tuned well.

I’ve managed a music store for almost 20 years, so I’ve put together a ton of drum kits.

Tolstoy

Reactions: demoncore1031

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
drummer for 20 years. at that price range it's not really going to make a difference, honestly. (just make sure the toms have their own mount and the bar doesn't go into the actual drum) maple vs birch, etc. what is going to give you the best sound (and also the most expensive) is the snare and cymbals. i am still playing on a $600 kit I bought 15 years ago but have $1,500 cymbals and a $600 snare. should i get a new set? probably, but i don't jam like I used to so the only things that matter to me are the punchy snare, the bass (pillows for the win!) and the hi hat.

i know this is silly, but i play my roland electronic drums 20x more than i play my acoustic kit. i didn't think i would but it's way more fun when playing by yourself.