Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm not 100% sure how that works. I'm not sure if the local shoe store got a letter or an email or whatever, but they shut down. I'm not sure we would get something similar or if they would simply allow Iowa businesses to determine themselves whether they fit into those categories. I would agree that it would basically not change anything if they were relying on businesses to actively shut down themselves.

I've seen alot of talk about potential liability-- how about the liability to the State of Iowa on their uniform enforcement of their policy? If Business A is shut down and loses millions in revenue, but Business B is allowed to continue, there will be lawsuits. To be fair, this shouldn't be the primary consideration, but people are talking liability in the businesses sense, how about to the State?

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I've yet to hear anyone put forth a compelling difference between the two, but if there is one I'm all ears. I looked at the California one posted above and I can't think of a single industry that couldn't somehow fit one of those definitions. I mean, look at some of these:

xiv.Businesses that supply products needed for people to work from home;

xv.Businesses that supply other essential businesses with the support or supplies necessary to operate;

xx.Professional services, such as legal or accounting services, when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities;

You don't think just about any business that's operating now couldn't shoe-horn their way into one of those?

Again, call it what you want. I just hope people don't think this is magically going to make people stay home because it's not the case. I'm all for being safe, and I'm distancing myself as much as I can. We've cut out anything even remotely extraneous, and I've encouraged anyone I know to do the same. But I'm just trying to be realistic about the level of shutdown we are going to see.
The main reason I posted that is the exemption for banks and financial institutions. I've seen a lot of people stating those would close under SIP. I'll admit that would affect a lot of people in Iowa if they closed, but I don't think they would.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I would absolutely agree.. So why is this being used in our Governor's criteria in determining more drastic measures and how in the heck are these places still being effected to the extent they are?
Employees have to be allowed to come and go.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've seen alot of talk about potential liability-- how about the liability to the State of Iowa on their uniform enforcement of their policy? If Business A is shut down and loses millions in revenue, but Business B is allowed to continue, there will be lawsuits. To be fair, this shouldn't be the primary consideration, but people are talking liability in the businesses sense, how about to the State?
I'm sure there is already a lot of that going around right now.. Why does a local mom and pop clothing store have to close down, but Walmart gets to continue to sell all items whether they're essential or not? Why not close off the clothing sections or other sections that other stores had to shut down for?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

'Haven't had it yet, and they say it was here in March, not sure what there is to be so worried about'.

'Didn't die from the flu this year, they don't close things down for that.'

'Didn't die in my car on the way'.

'It's sunny today, we should be fine'.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I'm not 100% sure how that works. I'm not sure if the local shoe store got a letter or an email or whatever, but they shut down. I'm not sure we would get something similar or if they would simply allow Iowa businesses to determine themselves whether they fit into those categories. I would agree that it would basically not change anything if they were relying on businesses to actively shut down themselves.
And if there was a formal SIP they could just say "we sell work boots used by workers in the power plant, picking up garbage, workers at the Fareway warehouse, etc." Voila, essential business.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
'Haven't had it yet, and they say it was here in March, not sure what there is to be so worried about'.

'Didn't die from the flu this year, they don't close things down for that.'

'Didn't die in my car on the way'.

'It's sunny today, we should be fine'.
"Iowans are taking this seriously"

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Employees have to be allowed to come and go.
Again, agree, but why are these places being used in determining a SIP or stay at home order if the order itself doesn't change the operation of these?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
It's a stubborn, stupid thing that she still doesn't call it what it is, but she really should just call it that and shut up people who won't take a breath until she uses the magic words.

For me it's not about the SIP itself. I don't have illusions about what it will accomplish. For me it's about understanding why she makes the choices she does. And there's no reason to put herself through having to explain this every day if there's really no difference. There has to be something more to it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
And if there was a formal SIP they could just say "we sell work boots used by workers in the power plant, picking up garbage, workers at the Fareway warehouse, etc." Voila, essential business.
So why did bars have to close if they sell bottled water? You could technically go in there to grab a water or a soda right?

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
These maps generally disagree with you
EUmPfjRXkAE7Vz6

EUmPfjQWoAQGw4J

But Wayne County is real close to some of those darker counties.
I think the first map actually does agree with mtown. Look at Iowa compared to Michigan / Illinois / the whole northeast.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
For me it's not about the SIP itself. I don't have illusions about what it will accomplish. For me it's about understanding why she makes the choices she does. And there's no reason to put herself through having to explain this every day if there's really no difference. There has to be something more to it.

I think at this point it's just being stubborn. Unless someone can find me a large donor that will have to shut down over the next set of restrictions, of which there simply aren't many businesses to begin with, than I don't know what else it would be.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Again, agree, but why are these places being used in determining a SIP or stay at home order if the order itself doesn't change the operation of these?
That I can't answer, other than to say maybe it was being used early on, but not any longer.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Huge horse auction in wayne county right now. Hundreds of people in attendance. Iowans are not "doing the right thing".

According to Gov. Reynold's this is fine, because they are part of the food industry. How quarter horses are part of the food industry for the Amish is a question I would like to ask her, but whatever.
In the video on KCCI, I went to high school with the doctor they interviews, we grew up less than half a mile from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.