• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
What is the difference between the Admiral Shares(chearper fees)?
Admiral shares are more similar to a mutual fund. There's a minimum initial investment ($3000). After that, you can invest any amount.
The fees are a basis point higher for this fund (for VTSAX vs VTI).

ETFs function like stocks. To invest, you simple buy shares.

Reactions: NateTheBoss

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
So you guys do ETFs over regular funds? Is there a big advantage? I have been buying VTSMX, but maybe should look into the ETF equiv.

some. I’m not heavy in them but have been putting some “extra” in SCHB “VTI equiv” because the price is right for me. If you like your results in VTSMX keep doing it. It’s a great fund. The expense ratio is a bit higher but ultimately it doesn’t really matter most likely.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sounds like the new unemployment is 3MM some. Total claims is 6.6MM. Some are getting confused on the numbers.

Some media are now trying to compare raw numbers of claims to the great depression raw claims. You can't use those, maybe percentage, we have 3X the population as then.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
So you guys do ETFs over regular funds? Is there a big advantage? I have been buying VTSMX, but maybe should look into the ETF equiv.

This may have changed, but my understanding is that most funds have a $1,000 minimum buy in. That's too big for some of us small-time investors. (EFT's are often less than $100 per share)