Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I feel like in the future, you're going to have to sign a waiver to get into most large events so you can't come back and sue them for catching this thing.

I think the whole "liability if you catch it thing" is so overdone. Sure, people may try. But I can't see someone being held liable for someone catching an airborne virus.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think the whole "liability if you catch it thing" is so overdone. Sure, people may try. But I can't see someone being held liable for someone catching an airborne virus.

Agree to an extent. Once the "groups over XX people" are lifted there wouldn't be a basis, but while those are in place there is a basis to sue.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Really? I think social distancing is extremely easy and I could do this almost indefinitely.
You might be able to, but when the country is looking at 25% or more unemployment, it cannot keep up these distancing measures indefinitely. It goes far beyond just wanting to be around people again. Most people can deal with that. Most people can with deal staying at home unless they need to leave to go to the grocery store. I'm guessing you wouldn't think the same if you managed a restaurant, or almost any other store. That type of unemployment is going to have negative impacts on pretty much every business eventually.

Reactions: Doc

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Not going to ISU FB or BB games, or concerts, or restaurants, or movies, or my races would not be easy for me indefinitely. I mean quite frankly I am getting frustrated that my races are being cancelled now (I know it's needed, but still frustrating when you build up all winter for the season).

Not to mention things such as weddings, funerals, bday parties and such.

I absolutely cannot do this indefinitely.

Reactions: isutrevman

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Lol this isn't your typical run of the day virus.. It's literally shut down the world.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Yeah I unfortunately agree as well. Those that are healthy are going to get sick and tired of not being able to do what they want to do and are going to go back to their normal ways.
I’m already sick and tired of not being sick and tired. Better than the alternative though I guess.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Yup I have happily gone along with all of this but several months without seeing friends and family or hanging out in any public area and I am going to start losing it

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Okay so can someone explain this to me.. I know some of you have already discussed this, but Reisetter and Reynolds were claiming this data is wrong, however the model literally states this data is being based on the assumption these places are going to institute social distancing measures? That means the social distancing data is already built in right?

If that's true, then this data is in fact true right? Or at least a somewhat credible projection?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Okay so can someone explain this to me.. I know some of you have already discussed this, but Reisetter and Reynolds were claiming this data is wrong, however the model literally states this data is being based on the assumption these places are going to institute social distancing measures? That means the social distancing data is already built in right?

If that's true, then this data is in fact true right? Or at least a somewhat credible projection?

I mentioned this earlier. Reynolds's entire team either didn't bother to read the FAQ or assumed nobody else would bother.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/th...sion-no-politics.255342/page-171#post-7096458

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
The post you responded to really took me by surprise. My eldest daughter is administrator at a pretty large elder care facility. In addition to the other guidelines set forth for those institutions, over two weeks ago they locked all entrances but one, posted a “guard” at the one entrance, and she or another RN is basically giving a mini- physical to every employee when they enter. Temps, listening to breath sounds with stethoscope, taking a deep breath and holding it, looking for shortness of breath after a brisk walk down the hall and back. Those are just some I can remember. I realize there are things they can do that aren’t feasible at a large medical facility, but I was really surprised at that post.
So apparently they can't do the thermometer thing because nobody wants to get up early enough to meet contractors in the morning so we had to fill out a questionnaire asking us if we had a fever and felt okay. That was the extent of temperature taking today.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
I've never been to a livestock auction but is it something you could do remotely? Or is the thought boomers won't do that.

Yes, these are done online now all the time. The vast majority of producers that raise breeding bulls or registered seed stock broadcast the sale in real time on the internet and have options for online bidding, and have been doing this for quite awhile.

Producers can also sell large groups of calves online through video marketing. Superior Livestock started video marketing cattle in the late 1980's and transitioned it to the web. Great option to sell directly off the farm without having to take calves through a sale barn, reducing the transfer of infectious disease and also saving the producer from paying yardage and some commission from the sale.

My dad is 68 and has bought a dozen bulls online; watches a lot of sales during the winter without buying as well. 10 years ago I would've described him as technologically inept and I'm still a little amazed he can pull this off.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
So this model is getting quite a bit of attention in today's press conference. Reynolds and her staff repeatedly discounted the model on the basis that the assumptions for Iowa are wrong - for example the model says the schools are not closed when they are. But it says right here - literally in the first FAQ - that the model assumes that places that are not doing extreme social distancing measures will be doing so within seven days.

Is her staff just incompetent or do they think we're all that dumb?

They assume we will do that 7 days from the current model. However, we've been doing all those things for ~14 days. So the model will still be flawed in its assumptions for at least 7 days into the model until they have our current conditions accurately reflected in the model. If the IDPH doesn't reach out to get the conditions corrected, the model will still continue to be incorrect 7 days at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron