Darlinstone Dubar

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Totally agree a older wing to not have to rely on the freshman would be great to improve the record next year. That said they need to be b12 starting quality first not just older.
There may be bumps but If I would rather have the more talented freshman learn while playing instead of being blocked by a 5th yr grad transfer who isn't as good.

Agree as well.

Remembering how Prohm worked Monte into the lineup is one of the major reasons I still have faith in the man. It's hard to argue with that result.

We may have a stud in waiting in the upcoming class but knowing they had to prove it by out playing someone that's been through the battles makes the Freshmen that much more game ready.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Remembering how Prohm worked Monte into the lineup is one of the major reasons I still have faith in the man. It's hard to argue with that result.
How did Prohm work Monte into the line? He was already near All-American level

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Darlinstone Dubar takeaway from watching 5 replays

-Active hands on defense. Had quite a few steals and blocks.

-Going to be a solid 3 point shooter. (Unorthodox shot though)

-Crafty with the ball and finishing around the hoop.

-Can finish explosively above the rim.

-Think he will be a good rebounding guard/wing

Negatives

-He does not have a midrange game at all. 3’s or layups/dunks. In the 5 games I watched, he hit maybe one midrange shot. (A floater)

-Falls down a lot when going into the lane.

-Gets loose with the ball in traffic

-His unique shot mechanics forces him to only shoot when open. He will not take very many contested jumpers/3’s.

As I read your list (up until the last bullet) it struck me that you could have been describing Bolton's game.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA

Monte as a passer was already at a high level. I believe the change under Prohm was that he became more of a primary scorer without falling off as an outstanding assist PG.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Agree as well.

We may have a stud in waiting in the upcoming class but knowing they had to prove it by out playing someone that's been through the battles makes the Freshmen that much more game ready.

I was thinking more of the Merrill Holden playing center over Young until February type situation. Prohm is loyal to older players, perhaps to protect the freshman.
Tre and Grill getting time over Griffin and Lewis makes me think CSP has learned from his early preference to have older players "lose" the role.

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Sounds good, although injury to LW was the primary driver. Working in young players over older guys isn’t a strength of Steve’s imo
I would argue that most of the young players Steve has had have either not been good enough to play right away or had to play right away due to turnover of roster..

Also, sometimes an injury is an enlightening moment for the coach and the player.. Tom Brady for example. Was Belichick not doing the right thing by not playing Tom Brady over Drew Bledsoe? I'd say no, but it ended up working out better than he could've ever imagined it.

Besides Solomon not playing right away his freshman year, I cannot name another guy that absolutely down right should have been playing over other guys.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Monte only started 17 games as a freshmen. Prohm made him earn the reigns.

Amazes me how some of you blindly attack everything about the man. We get it you hate the man. I make a point not to argue with close minded individuals so I'll just leave you with GFYS.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

Amazes me how some of you blindly attack everything about the man. We get it you hate the man. I make a point not to argue with close minded individuals so I'll just leave you with GFYS.
Great, how about his sophomore season under Hoiberg? Pretty good!

I’m a Prohm supporter, so I don’t feel the need to hide your egregious flaws in this discussion. Steve does need some help though.

Looks like it is you that’s close minded! Or maybe just an idiotic troll!

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

How many games did he start under Hoiberg his sophomore year.

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018

What do you mean "earn the reigns"? Monte was a Junior for Prohm's first year and clearly had the reigns by that point.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

It amazes me a Cyclone fan wouldn't know who was the HC Monte's freshman year.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I was thinking more of the Merrill Holden playing center over Young until February type situation. Prohm is loyal to older players, perhaps to protect the freshman.
Tre and Grill getting time over Griffin and Lewis makes me think CSP has learned from his early preference to have older players "lose" the role.

Your point about Tre & Grill playing over upperclassmen makes me even more puzzled on Grill’s departure. I mean he was getting decent playing time the last month over others & I’m sure he deserved it. Guess I still don’t get that one.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Your point about Tre & Grill playing over upperclassmen makes me even more puzzled on Grill’s departure. I mean he was getting decent playing time the last month over others & I’m sure he deserved it. Guess I still don’t get that one.

Yeah he was getting adequate playing time for what he was. His PT was also trending upward the last month of the season. It's too bad he couldn't make shots this year.

It's not an end of the world loss but I would of preferred to keep him. Thought he could of been a nice piece in a couple years.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Yeah he was getting adequate playing time for what he was. His PT was also trending upward the last month of the season. It's too bad he couldn't make shots this year.

It's not an end of the world loss but I would of preferred to keep him. Thought he could of been a nice piece in a couple years.

The sit out year he could potentially have the transfer is exactly what he needs. He's still just an athlete out there trying to be a basketball player. He's going to be really good for someone once he puts it all together.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I guess I should know better by now, but I'm still just SMH when I open the thread on Darlinstone Dunbar to see what new info or comments people have about him, only to be disappointed with a bunch of unrelated quarreling and name-calling. I guess it's my own fault, because in my mind I picture other posters on here as being adults acting in a reasonable and civil manner and there is no basis for thinking that because any 8-year-old can log in and start typing away. I know, I know, go away Boomer! So, I'll try to restrain my wishful thinking again now. Carry on as you were......

Reactions: srjclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron