Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
They are operating under the impression that Iowa is not and has not been implementing social distancing, because of a lack of official directives. Every day that passes is a day pushing forward a 7 day window in which they believe nothing has changed.

And every day that passes is a day in which new-real time data is updated which has social distancing measures baked in.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
For those of you who watched / listened, what did you think about Governor Reynolds response to the question on whether or not she was going to allow a certain horse auction to happen that supposedly is going to have up to 100 people present?
what she say?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The fair is still 4.5 months away
Oh I know. I'm saying with how things are looking at this very moment in time, it's hard for me to believe all of those people would be allowed to gather you know? I agree 4.5 months is a long time and we could be in a very different position then. I really really hope we are, because that means sports are back up and running.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
what she say?
Well I have no idea about all of the info, but, the guy who asked the question worded it that there is indeed going to be 100+ people there. Her response was that she knows there is technology in place in order to help reduce the size of these events, but they are an essential business as well so she encourages they practice social distancing.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Oh I know. I'm saying with how things are looking at this very moment in time, it's hard for me to believe all of those people would be allowed to gather you know? I agree 4.5 months is a long time and we could be in a very different position then. I really really hope we are, because that means sports are back up and running.

Not saying I condone this, but if it's still bad in 4.5 months, it will be survival of the fittest. There is no way the powers at be will keep things locked down for that long.

Mad Max here we come

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not saying I condone this, but if it's still bad in 4.5 months, it will be survival of the fittest. There is no way the powers at be will keep things locked down for that long.
Well I'm not saying businesses won't be open and the economy won't be running, I was just talking about crowd sizes.. What does the fair bring in per day? 10's of thousands of people right?

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Well I'm not saying businesses won't be open and the economy won't be running, I was just talking about crowd sizes.. What does the fair bring in per day? 10's of thousands of people right?
having the fair even on a decline sounds like a recipe for disaster...Iowa would have to be almost in the clear for that to happen. Work will be back by then but an event the size of the fair.....we'll see.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Well I have no idea about all of the info, but, the guy who asked the question worded it that there is indeed going to be 100+ people there. Her response was that she knows there is technology in place in order to help reduce the size of these events, but they are an essential business as well so she encourages they practice social distancing.
This goes to a pdf file "Auction Market Guidance during COVID-19 from IDPH, dated 3-23-20 https://www.google.com/url?client=i...FjACegQIBxAC&usg=AOvVaw36IwtuW3NkYK66yv18QFL9

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

I think they honestly have about another month of people's attention before people give up on social distancing. Much like you--not condoning it, but I think the reality is healthy people are going to say screw this before too much longer.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Eh, I disagree with this. I live in Wisconsin and we currently have a stay-at-home order but none of the bolded. Just having that stay-at-home order has seemed to help. There does seem to be less people out since it went into effect. Maybe @cowgirl836, @stormchaser2014, and @madguy30 (and other Wisconsin residents) can also give their thoughts.
You would need to take every cop, federal agent, and service member, add them up and then multiply by 50 for that to even work. The cost of that would be unimaginable.

I haven't seen a noticeable difference in people out and about, but is is weird seeing empty parking lots of bars, restaurants, and clothing stores.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I think they honestly have about another month of people's attention before people give up on social distancing. Much like you--not condoning it, but I think the reality is healthy people are going to say screw this before too much longer.

Really? I think social distancing is extremely easy and I could do this almost indefinitely.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Really? I think social distancing is extremely easy and I could do this almost indefinitely.

I will say it hasn't been as big of a change as I would have thought. Realizing I see about the same 10 people every day as it is.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
The fair averaged over 100,000 people in attendance per day last year

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think they honestly have about another month of people's attention before people give up on social distancing. Much you like--not condoning it, but I think the reality is healthy people are going to say screw this before too much longer.
Yeah I unfortunately agree as well. Those that are healthy are going to get sick and tired of not being able to do what they want to do and are going to go back to their normal ways.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Not going to ISU FB or BB games, or concerts, or restaurants, or movies, or my races would not be easy for me indefinitely. I mean quite frankly I am getting frustrated that my races are being cancelled now (I know it's needed, but still frustrating when you build up all winter for the season).

Not to mention things such as weddings, funerals, bday parties and such.

Reactions: psychlone99

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

I can tell you my office is getting there. Especially with planting coming potentially next week, I really don’t care anymore.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not going to ISU FB or BB games, or concerts, or restaurants, or movies, or my races would not be easy for me indefinitely. I mean quite frankly I am getting frustrated that my races are being cancelled now (I know it's needed, but still frustrating when you build up all winter for the season).
I feel like in the future, you're going to have to sign a waiver to get into most large events so you can't come back and sue them for catching this thing.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I feel like in the future, you're going to have to sign a waiver to get into most large events so you can't come back and sue them for catching this thing.

They'll just add it to the disclaimer on the back of your ticket.

I will say the first few games I go to or whatever are going to feel weird

Status
Not open for further replies.