Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Actually, yes Iowa is a perfect example. According to those stats, at it's worse Iowa will be 11 beds short. However, ICU beds are a concern. 4 days ago, the same site showed ICU beds not being short in Iowa.

Go take a look at New York and you'll see a good example of not flattening the curve.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Curious though that they show so little variability in their model, yet it seems to move all the time. If it has such swings, shouldn't their model reflect their lack of confidence in their inputs and have larger variability bands?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
does this assume literally every available bed is being allotted to just corona?

I think it must be using some kind of typical occupancy/usage rate? Just found a news article saying WI has 2500 intensive care beds and 620 vents and the current listed "available" on that site is 172 ICU beds and 299 vents.

Article goes on to say they normally run at 90% occupancy but have been able to move down to 80% in one hospital and 50% in another the last couple weeks as prep.

Otherwise I would say 172 ICU beds for all of WI seems low to me.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Curious though that they show so little variability in their model, yet it seems to move all the time. If it has such swings, shouldn't their model reflect their lack of confidence in their inputs and have larger variability bands?
I said it before, but IMO that site is basically useless. Of course, 6 months from now it may be highly accurate.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Lucky for him he got tested because a pregnant friend and her husband who are both showing strong symptoms were turned away from tests. Pretty ridiculous.

It is absolutely ridiculous that we don't have the testing thing sorted out yet. It's such a complete and utter failing that will inevitably result in tens of thousands of extra people. A top to bottom failure

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yeah, the MN SIP order is very, very similar to the current status of things in Iowa. It seems like all Iowa has to gain is closing places of employment that are non-essential but still not allowing WFH.

I disagree with this in one aspect - the vast majority of people don't get past the headline. So even if the details are the same, there is specific significant value in the "SHELTER IN PLACE" headline.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Reynolds just said she will base further closures based on regions/communities/counties.

Reactions: isutrevman

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I swear to god, she said she wouldn’t do that before.
It's almost like her messaging during these pressers is generally awful and changes wildly on a daily basis.

Personally, I don't even see the need for daily pressers. Release numbers and stuff daily, but these pressers aren't adding much to the cause. Do them less often.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It is absolutely ridiculous that we don't have the testing thing sorted out yet. It's such a complete and utter failing that will inevitably result in tens of thousands of extra people. A top to bottom failure
Somebody posted that the number of tests performed yesterday was down from the previous day. Which, while seemingly odd, could be a sign that less people presented with symptoms. Which would be a good thing. Of course the medical personnel could also be holding back tests for the expected peak. We have no way of knowing.

I disagree with this in one aspect - the vast majority of people don't get past the headline. So even if the details are the same, there is specific significant value in the "SHELTER IN PLACE" headline.

I would disagree with "significant value". Idiots are going to be idiots, no matter what you call your restrictions. Anybody who is unaware of how dire the situation is by now is a lost cause.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
It's almost like her messaging during these pressers is generally awful and changes wildly on a daily basis.

Personally, I don't even see the need for daily pressers. Release numbers and stuff daily, but these pressers aren't adding much to the cause. Do them less often.
Just don't watch them.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
The primary scientist behind that model was on CNN yesterday and made some good points...

1 - His estimates are best of best case scenario.
2 - They assume every state will be in basically a stay at home order by end of week.
3 - All people in all communities will follow very strict social distancing until end of May.
4 - Each day the number of new cases and deaths in the real world are higher than the model for that day.

So just like the total death estimate has gone up countrywide several thousand the past couple days, it will likely continue that way as new data continues to come in.

So this model is getting quite a bit of attention in today's press conference. Reynolds and her staff repeatedly discounted the model on the basis that the assumptions for Iowa are wrong - for example the model says the schools are not closed when they are. But it says right here - literally in the first FAQ - that the model assumes that places that are not doing extreme social distancing measures will be doing so within seven days.

Is her staff just incompetent or do they think we're all that dumb?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Reynolds just said she will base further closures based on regions/communities/counties.
She didn't say that exactly. She said that she has mentioned before that future closings could be based on verified hot spots.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
So this model is getting quite a bit of attention in today's press conference. Reynolds and her staff repeatedly discounted the model on the basis that the assumptions for Iowa are wrong - for example the model says the schools are not closed when they are. But it says right here - literally in the first FAQ - that the model assumes that places that are not doing extreme social distancing measures will be doing so within seven days.

Is her staff just incompetent or do they think we're all that dumb?
I think most of them are assuming we don't do research ourselves. It's absolutely hilarious watching these. I'm doing it more for the sheer humor now. Nothing's going to change in my mind now. I think at this point, even if the cases and deaths reach large numbers, she'll just talk about how great of a job we're doing as a state.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I haven't been. But I still hear about them later. It's not hard to put the pieces together on this one.
You could literally watch the press conference from last week and it'd sound almost word for word the exact same as the one she gave today, yesterday, or the day before.

Status
Not open for further replies.