Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Once again, you don't know what flattening the curve means. It sounds like you're talking about the peak.

Flattening the curve sounds like it should involve Calculus. I took 3 semesters of Calc and did really well in it. But I'm confident I could not do it now, nearly 20 years later!

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Are we to the point in quarantine that we are arguing about the difference between flattening and bending a curve? We are in for a long month.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
This will play out very predictably. At some point she will finally issue this shelter in place order. And the question will inevitably be, "Governor, what has changed since yesterday at this time when you maintained this order was not yet necessary?" In response she will inevitably sound like the teenager who didn't do the assigned reading trying to fumble her way through an answer in front of the class.

There is no real tipping point. She's just holding off as long as she can. That's the plan.

Any illusion that there was some wizard behind the curtain with more knowledge than the rest of us should have been shattered the moment she publicly shared her "metrics." It's no wonder she refused to mention them for so long.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Are we to the point in quarantine that we are arguing about the difference between flattening and bending a curve? We are in for a long month.
I want sports back where we can argue strength of schedule between two teams where one was .005 harder than the other.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Then they must've expanded the criteria. I know someone who went into get tested and they literally told him he didn't meet the criteria because he didn't have a fever of 103 and his fever was 102.
If this person had other symptoms and they refused to test based on a one degree difference, I would never return to that facility.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I'm working at the DMU clinic. Starting tomorrow we have to get our temperatures taken before we go in the building and can only use the freight elevator.

That’s what China did to control it. Temps taken before getting on any public transportation before entering the workplace. Employers were required to provide four single use thermometers per day to any worker required on site. And this was in a city far away from Wuhan.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
5986d8f8850dc2627900e4d941705219.jpg

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If this person had other symptoms and they refused to test based on a one degree difference, I would never return to that facility.
He was given a note from the doctor that said he most likely has it, but at that point did not qualify for the testing. The problem is that his work said because he didn't test positive, he was still required to go to work. He didn't thank god, and his employer hasn't yet fired him. This was only last week and I have not asked if he's gone back to get testing. He technically doesn't need it since he didn't need to be hospitalized and he's self-isolating.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
That’s what China did to control it. Temps taken before getting on any public transportation before entering the workplace. Employers were required to provide four single use thermometers per day to any worker required on site. And this was in a city far away from Wuhan.
The post you responded to really took me by surprise. My eldest daughter is administrator at a pretty large elder care facility. In addition to the other guidelines set forth for those institutions, over two weeks ago they locked all entrances but one, posted a “guard” at the one entrance, and she or another RN is basically giving a mini- physical to every employee when they enter. Temps, listening to breath sounds with stethoscope, taking a deep breath and holding it, looking for shortness of breath after a brisk walk down the hall and back. Those are just some I can remember. I realize there are things they can do that aren’t feasible at a large medical facility, but I was really surprised at that post.

Status
Not open for further replies.