Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
People who are not being compliant already are not going to suddenly change because the governor sounds more serious. You would need an enforceable order to stay at home. That means added law enforcement on the street. That means a system set up where you need to get approval to go to the grocery store so you have your papers to show law enforecement. That probably means National Guard in the highest population areas to help out with enforcement.

I have seen states who have issued stay at home orders tell their residents not to submit complaints of violators and basically say they are not going to try and enforce it. I doubt any state is really trying that hard to enforce it because it's nearly impossible. Do you really think that's going to do any good? It's no different than just asking your residents to please stay home. The sad truth is for some people they need people dieing all around them to truly fear this and stay home.
While all of that may be true, not doing that because you think it doesn't work is more of a problem than doing it and it not working.. Implementing something would definitely cause a lot of people to think twice before congregating in groups. It might not work 100% effectively but you can't say it wouldn't work at all.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Look to your county then. They also have the authority to create shutdown mandates. Might also have better relationships with local employers to have direct conversations with employers.

kim has said cities can’t shut down. So I assume counties can’t either?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This model added nearly 600 deaths since yesterday, projected 1,367 by 8/4.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

Many states' peaks are pushed back to the end of April...that were projected to peak today. Maybe that will just keep happening.

As sad as it is, I'd be kind ecstatic if we're at less than 100,000 by August.

I think we're going to see over 3,000 people per day die due to this in this country for a lot of days over the next month or two and even in Iowa they're going to have a mess.

Maybe the 'what's the big deal?' crowd will start to wake up a bit.

But, someone will still say 'Yeah but more people die in car crashes so I'm not seeing the problem here?'

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Counties nor Mayors have the current power to implement any sort of shutdown mandate. Reynolds thought that was the case but after they looked into it, they found that individual mayors do not have any power to do so. Many have asked if she's going to give that power to mayors, however she said she believes we all should be in this together.

Look where the most outbreaks are happening in Iowa. Look where the chances for exposure are greater. look at thosecommunities diversity, and belief system.

Then look at the same for all of the rural areas.

See the difference?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Look where the most outbreaks are happening in Iowa. Look where the chances for exposure are greater. look at thosecommunities diversity, and belief system.

Then look at the same for all of the rural areas.

See the difference?
Oh I'm not looking over the political aspect of this at all, trust me. Just trying to not get political about it.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah and I understand why she hasn't exactly provided that trigger point to the public. That would not be good. She's spoken about her criteria when making these decisions but I have no idea what the tipping point would be. She said they were making care facilities for the elderly a high priority.. well 21 cases came from one facility. That obviously wasn't a big enough deal for her to sway the other way.

This will play out very predictably. At some point she will finally issue this shelter in place order. And the question will inevitably be, "Governor, what has changed since yesterday at this time when you maintained this order was not yet necessary?" In response she will inevitably sound like the teenager who didn't do the assigned reading trying to fumble her way through an answer in front of the class.

There is no real tipping point. She's just holding off as long as she can. That's the plan.

Any illusion that there was some wizard behind the curtain with more knowledge than the rest of us should have been shattered the moment she publicly shared her "metrics." It's no wonder she refused to mention them for so long.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Oh I'm not looking over the political aspect of this at all, trust me. Just trying to not get political about it.

it’s not political at all. It’s today’s reality.

Iowa is a state without a major city. No one in power is going to consider the few urban areas.

christ, according to the current orders, you people still have kids going back to school in a dozen days.

It’s a place isolated from the rest of the country by geography and mindset.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Iowa is a state without a major city. No one in power is going to consider the few urban areas.

christ, according to the current orders, you people still have kids going back to school in a dozen days.

I thought you lived in Iowa, Cat? What state do you live in?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Yeah that's very true.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
This will play out very predictably. At some point she will finally issue this shelter in place order. And the question will inevitably be, "Governor, what has changed since yesterday at this time when you maintained this order was not yet necessary?" In response she will inevitably sound like the teenager who didn't do the assigned reading trying to fumble her way through an answer in front of the class.

There is no real tipping point. She's just holding off as long as she can. That's the plan.

Any illusion that there was some wizard behind the curtain with more knowledge than the rest of us should have been shattered the moment she publicly shared her "metrics." It's no wonder she refused to mention them for so long.

My goodness, that is an accurate statement.....be as vague and non-committal as possible, throw in a couple cool phrases such as "social distancing" and "flattening the curve" to momentarily impress/appease 60% of the listeners, then end the whole thing with some standard "Iowans are the best" flattery.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I thought you lived in Iowa, Cat? What state do you live in?

Haven’t lived in Iowa for years. Family is still there, so I visit.

I live in San Antonio. We have governor that didn’t sip Austin after every other major city on 35 S had done so.

and of course a lt governor who is willing to risk the health of your parents and grand parents to get them back to work to save big business

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Our rural hospital system is in a tough place. The small hospital closest to us has four vents. As of yesterday two of them were being used on non-Covid patients.

^This. It's not like on a given day they are all sitting around unused and waiting empty for that day a pandemic comes that will be a respiratory killer.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
People who are not being compliant already are not going to suddenly change because the governor sounds more serious. You would need an enforceable order to stay at home. That means added law enforcement on the street. That means a system set up where you need to get approval to go to the grocery store so you have your papers to show law enforecement. That probably means National Guard in the highest population areas to help out with enforcement.

I have seen states who have issued stay at home orders tell their residents not to submit complaints of violators and basically say they are not going to try and enforce it. I doubt any state is really trying that hard to enforce it because it's nearly impossible. Do you really think that's going to do any good? It's no different than just asking your residents to please stay home. The sad truth is for some people they need people dieing all around them to truly fear this and stay home.
Eh, I disagree with this. I live in Wisconsin and we currently have a stay-at-home order but none of the bolded. Just having that stay-at-home order has seemed to help. There does seem to be less people out since it went into effect. Maybe @cowgirl836, @stormchaser2014, and @madguy30 (and other Wisconsin residents) can also give their thoughts.

Reactions: Statefan10

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The primary scientist behind that model was on CNN yesterday and made some good points...

1 - His estimates are best of best case scenario.
2 - They assume every state will be in basically a stay at home order by end of week.
3 - All people in all communities will follow very strict social distancing until end of May.
4 - Each day the number of new cases and deaths in the real world are higher than the model for that day.

So just like the total death estimate has gone up countrywide several thousand the past couple days, it will likely continue that way as new data continues to come in.

I fully expect #3 to be through May. I fully expect a number of people to be so-so about it. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron